Shortcut Desktop Icon Arrows

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Doug Parrish

Shortcut Desktop Icon Arrows
Is there a simple way to remove the shortcut Desktop icon arrows in VISTA? I
know all my icons are shortcuts...I don't need those annoying little arrows
to keep populating the Desktop. Anyone on this list know how to get rid of
them, once and for all?

Thanks much.

Doug

Donald McDaniel

Re: Shortcut Desktop Icon Arrows
"Doug Parrish" <dkparrish@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Is there a simple way to remove the shortcut Desktop icon arrows in VISTA?
> I know all my icons are shortcuts...I don't need those annoying little
> arrows to keep populating the Desktop. Anyone on this list know how to get
> rid of them, once and for all?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Doug

Download fxvisor.exe
Not only will it remove shortcut arrows, it will also remove the "-
Shortcut" text.
Get here: http://www.frameworkx.com/file.aspx?id=4
Install it, set it the way you want (only a few options), reboot, then
"forget about it."
It's the "Godfather" of shortcut removal. Always dependable.

--

Donald McDaniel
======================

oscar

RE: Shortcut Desktop Icon Arrows
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

I don’t recommend doing this, but if you have the time to spare to correct
any conflicts this piece of software might create with other icons and
shortcuts, go forth into the adventure.

Good luck…

--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...

"Doug Parrish" wrote:

> Is there a simple way to remove the shortcut Desktop icon arrows in VISTA? I
> know all my icons are shortcuts...I don't need those annoying little arrows
> to keep populating the Desktop. Anyone on this list know how to get rid of
> them, once and for all?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Doug

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Shortcut Desktop Icon Arrows
"Doug Parrish" <dkparrish@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Is there a simple way to remove the shortcut Desktop icon arrows in VISTA?
> I know all my icons are shortcuts...I don't need those annoying little
> arrows to keep populating the Desktop. Anyone on this list know how to get
> rid of them, once and for all?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Doug

This is inadvisble. You will then not be able to distinguish a program icon
from a shortcut. There is more to it than just the desktop.

Daze N. Knights

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> "Doug Parrish" <dkparrish@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Is there a simple way to remove the shortcut Desktop icon arrows in
>> VISTA? I know all my icons are shortcuts...I don't need those annoying
>> little arrows to keep populating the Desktop. Anyone on this list know
>> how to get rid of them, once and for all?
>>
>> Thanks much.
>>
>> Doug

> This is inadvisble. You will then not be able to distinguish a program
> icon from a shortcut. There is more to it than just the desktop.

It's also a little peculiar, IMO, how worked up some folks get over
these little arrows, which are useful in an informational sense, helping
to distinguish, as you point out, between downloaded programs and
shortcuts to already installed programs.
Nonny

Re: Shortcut Desktop Icon Arrows
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:02:28 -0700, "Daze N. Knights"
<Daze@Microdot.dot> wrote:

>> This is inadvisble. You will then not be able to distinguish a program
>> icon from a shortcut. There is more to it than just the desktop.

>It's also a little peculiar, IMO, how worked up some folks get over
>these little arrows, which are useful in an informational sense, helping
>to distinguish, as you point out, between downloaded programs and
>shortcuts to already installed programs.

If one doesn't store anything but shortcuts on the desktop, then
getting rid of the annoying little bastages is soothing to one's
nerves.

I take it even one more step: I have ZERO shortcuts on my desktop.

None.

Nada.

I have a full double-height Quick Launch bar, and a full Start Menu
(small icons), however.
Brink

Re: Shortcut Desktop Icon Arrows

Hello Doug,

This tutorial will show you how to easily remove or change the shortcut
arrows from shortcuts. You also have the option to remove the "Shortcut"
from a shortcut's name when you create a new shortcut.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...cut-arrow.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Daze N. Knights

Nonny wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:02:28 -0700, "Daze N. Knights"
> <Daze@Microdot.dot> wrote:
>
>>> This is inadvisble. You will then not be able to distinguish a program
>>> icon from a shortcut. There is more to it than just the desktop.

>> It's also a little peculiar, IMO, how worked up some folks get over
>> these little arrows, which are useful in an informational sense, helping
>> to distinguish, as you point out, between downloaded programs and
>> shortcuts to already installed programs.

> If one doesn't store anything but shortcuts on the desktop, then
> getting rid of the annoying little bastages is soothing to one's
> nerves.
>
> I take it even one more step: I have ZERO shortcuts on my desktop.
>
> None.
>
> Nada.
>
> I have a full double-height Quick Launch bar, and a full Start Menu
> (small icons), however.

Yes. I think that the empty desktop was what MS was trying to encourage
in Vista by making the Recycle Bin so easy to (accidentally) delete via
the right-click menu. I, too, use Quick Launch (single-height) and have
a very full Start Menu (small icons), yet still like to keep other
shortcuts, small text files, etc on my desktop, and don't find either
the shortcuts or their arrows "annoying" or upsetting to my nerves, as
you do. So, to each their own, I guess.