This copy of Windows is not genuine

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

churin

This copy of Windows is not genuine
I have just noticed that just above the system tray area the following
is displayed:

Windows Vista(TM)
Build 6000
This copy of Windows is not genuine
- - - - - - - - -

On the other hand, other place(Control Panel -> System and
Maintenance->System) indicates "Genuine".

This OS is installed from a legitmate copy of DVD(Technet distribution)
and it has been over three months since it was installed.

How can I get rid of this faulty display. By the way, before I notice
the above, the display said that this copy in not genuine and it went
into a limited functionality mode. So I reactivated on-line. Maybe there
is a root cause of this problem which need be addressed.

Please anyone help.
Paul Smith

Re: This copy of Windows is not genuine
Might be an idea to look over http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ to see if
anybody else has had similar issues (I'm sure they have).

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>I have just noticed that just above the system tray area the following is
>displayed:
>
> Windows Vista(TM)
> Build 6000
> This copy of Windows is not genuine
> - - - - - - - - -
>
> On the other hand, other place(Control Panel -> System and
> Maintenance->System) indicates "Genuine".
>
> This OS is installed from a legitmate copy of DVD(Technet distribution)
> and it has been over three months since it was installed.
>
> How can I get rid of this faulty display. By the way, before I notice the
> above, the display said that this copy in not genuine and it went into a
> limited functionality mode. So I reactivated on-line. Maybe there is a
> root cause of this problem which need be addressed.
>
> Please anyone help.

John Barnett MVP

Re: This copy of Windows is not genuine
I've seen this happen when doing an 'upgrade' repair (in other words
upgrading Vista over the copy you already have to do a repair install
similar to that in XP). When this happened to me (after an upgrade repair) i
simply re-activated, closed down the machine and rebooted and the 'not
genuine' message disappeared.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>I have just noticed that just above the system tray area the following is
>displayed:
>
> Windows Vista(TM)
> Build 6000
> This copy of Windows is not genuine
> - - - - - - - - -
>
> On the other hand, other place(Control Panel -> System and
> Maintenance->System) indicates "Genuine".
>
> This OS is installed from a legitmate copy of DVD(Technet distribution)
> and it has been over three months since it was installed.
>
> How can I get rid of this faulty display. By the way, before I notice the
> above, the display said that this copy in not genuine and it went into a
> limited functionality mode. So I reactivated on-line. Maybe there is a
> root cause of this problem which need be addressed.
>
> Please anyone help.

Kristan Kenney

Re: This copy of Windows is not genuine
I've also seen this behavior with upgrade installations - the steps you
outlined also worked for me on that occasion.

--
Kristan Kenney
http://www.canucky.net

and confers no rights.

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> I've seen this happen when doing an 'upgrade' repair (in other words
> upgrading Vista over the copy you already have to do a repair install
> similar to that in XP). When this happened to me (after an upgrade repair)
> i simply re-activated, closed down the machine and rebooted and the 'not
> genuine' message disappeared.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>>I have just noticed that just above the system tray area the following is
>>displayed:
>>
>> Windows Vista(TM)
>> Build 6000
>> This copy of Windows is not genuine
>> - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> On the other hand, other place(Control Panel -> System and
>> Maintenance->System) indicates "Genuine".
>>
>> This OS is installed from a legitmate copy of DVD(Technet distribution)
>> and it has been over three months since it was installed.
>>
>> How can I get rid of this faulty display. By the way, before I notice
>> the above, the display said that this copy in not genuine and it went
>> into a limited functionality mode. So I reactivated on-line. Maybe there
>> is a root cause of this problem which need be addressed.
>>
>> Please anyone help.

=?Utf-8?B?bWhvbnplbGw=?=

Re: This copy of Windows is not genuine
Excellent!
Acknowledged the problem and provided a potential solution.
You're shaking my stereotype of MVPs.

Thank you!

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> I've seen this happen when doing an 'upgrade' repair (in other words
> upgrading Vista over the copy you already have to do a repair install
> similar to that in XP). When this happened to me (after an upgrade repair) i
> simply re-activated, closed down the machine and rebooted and the 'not
> genuine' message disappeared.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
> >I have just noticed that just above the system tray area the following is
> >displayed:
> >
> > Windows Vista(TM)
> > Build 6000
> > This copy of Windows is not genuine
> > - - - - - - - - -
> >
> > On the other hand, other place(Control Panel -> System and
> > Maintenance->System) indicates "Genuine".
> >
> > This OS is installed from a legitmate copy of DVD(Technet distribution)
> > and it has been over three months since it was installed.
> >
> > How can I get rid of this faulty display. By the way, before I notice the
> > above, the display said that this copy in not genuine and it went into a
> > limited functionality mode. So I reactivated on-line. Maybe there is a
> > root cause of this problem which need be addressed.
> >
> > Please anyone help.

churin

Re: This copy of Windows is not genuine
Thanks for your response. I found that rebooting removes the faulty display.

Kristan Kenney wrote:
> I've also seen this behavior with upgrade installations - the steps you
> outlined also worked for me on that occasion.

John Barnett MVP

Re: This copy of Windows is not genuine
Glad it worked for you

--

> Thanks for your response. I found that rebooting removes the faulty
> display.
>
> Kristan Kenney wrote:
>> I've also seen this behavior with upgrade installations - the steps you
>> outlined also worked for me on that occasion.

John Barnett MVP

Re: This copy of Windows is not genuine
Pity I couldn't 'shake' a few others:-)

--

"mhonzell" <mhonzell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Excellent!
> Acknowledged the problem and provided a potential solution.
> You're shaking my stereotype of MVPs.
>
> Thank you!
>

> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> I've seen this happen when doing an 'upgrade' repair (in other words
>> upgrading Vista over the copy you already have to do a repair install
>> similar to that in XP). When this happened to me (after an upgrade
>> repair) i
>> simply re-activated, closed down the machine and rebooted and the 'not
>> genuine' message disappeared.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>> >I have just noticed that just above the system tray area the following
>> >is
>> >displayed:
>> >
>> > Windows Vista(TM)
>> > Build 6000
>> > This copy of Windows is not genuine
>> > - - - - - - - - -
>> >
>> > On the other hand, other place(Control Panel -> System and
>> > Maintenance->System) indicates "Genuine".
>> >
>> > This OS is installed from a legitmate copy of DVD(Technet distribution)
>> > and it has been over three months since it was installed.
>> >
>> > How can I get rid of this faulty display. By the way, before I notice
>> > the
>> > above, the display said that this copy in not genuine and it went into
>> > limited functionality mode. So I reactivated on-line. Maybe there is a
>> > root cause of this problem which need be addressed.
>> >
>> > Please anyone help.

=?Utf-8?B?YWxsZW5w?=

"churin" wrote:

> I have just noticed that just above the system tray area the following
> is displayed:
>
> Windows Vista(TM)
> Build 6000
> This copy of Windows is not genuine
> - - - - - - - - -
>
> On the other hand, other place(Control Panel -> System and
> Maintenance->System) indicates "Genuine".
>
> This OS is installed from a legitmate copy of DVD(Technet distribution)
> and it has been over three months since it was installed.
>
> How can I get rid of this faulty display. By the way, before I notice
> the above, the display said that this copy in not genuine and it went
> into a limited functionality mode. So I reactivated on-line. Maybe there
> is a root cause of this problem which need be addressed.
>
> Please anyone help.

=?Utf-8?B?YWxsZW5w?=

RE: This copy of Windows is not genuine
Hi, also have this problem but a bit more complicated as nothing will run.
If I try to connect to net to activate comes up with runtime error and all I
have is a black screen with the familiar words at bottom right.
Have tried to activate over phone but they want the installation numbers
which I am unable to get. Prior to this all happening windows explorer could
not start.
Have rebooted several times with same results.

Any help appreciated, allenp