pc going to sleep and won't start

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

ielmrani via WindowsKB.com

pc going to sleep and won't start
Hi,
I need help. My son's pc about 14 months old won't start. It has windows
vista, It just beeps and the monitor show this message: VGA Input: no
input signal
and turn black and then show this message:
Monitor going to sleep
and turns black.

I can't do anything. I am not able to access anything at all. I restarted
the pc so many times and while it's rebooting I press f8 f11 etc and not
getting anywhere....I don't know waht to do next...My son thinks that he left
the pc on sleep mode...
Please help if you know the answer...Thanks in advance

joel406

Re: pc going to sleep and won't start

Sorry to tell this but your problem really sounds motherboard related.

I work for Toshiba and Dell and I've seen that issue a thousand times.

I hope your still under warranty, other wise this type of problem can
be $$$$!

Like I tell my customers. If its more then $400 USD you may consider a
replacement.

Hey at least you get a fresh warranty.

Good luck.

--
joel406
Hobbes

"ielmrani via WindowsKB.com" <u21259@uwe> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I need help. My son's pc about 14 months old won't start. It has windows
> vista, It just beeps and the monitor show this message: VGA Input: no
> input signal
> and turn black and then show this message:
> Monitor going to sleep
> and turns black.
>
> I can't do anything. I am not able to access anything at all. I
> restarted
> the pc so many times and while it's rebooting I press f8 f11 etc and not
> getting anywhere....I don't know waht to do next...My son thinks that he
> left
> the pc on sleep mode...
> Please help if you know the answer...Thanks in advance

In addition to the other response....you could try re-seating you video
card.

ielmrani via WindowsKB.com

Re: pc going to sleep and won't start
On a second note, the computer was plugged into the wall during a light
thunder storm, and when it is turned on it constantly emits a beep then
pauses then another beep. Like you said, it is probably a motherboard
problem.

Brink

ielmrani via WindowsKB.com;764556 Wrote:
> Hi,
> I need help. My son's pc about 14 months old won't start. It has
> windows
> vista, It just beeps and the monitor show this message: VGA Input: no
> input signal
> and turn black and then show this message:
> Monitor going to sleep
> and turns black.
>
> I can't do anything. I am not able to access anything at all. I
> restarted
> the pc so many times and while it's rebooting I press f8 f11 etc and
> not
> getting anywhere....I don't know waht to do next...My son thinks that
> he left
> the pc on sleep mode...
> Please help if you know the answer...Thanks in advance

> 'Windows Vista - general Windows Vista topics'
> (http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forums....vista/200807/1)

Hello,

In addition to the other posts.

If you have a integrated video chip on your motherboard, then you might
check in the BIOS to make sure that it was not disabled by accident. If
your not sure where to look, then you can reset the BIOS back to the
default settings to have the same effect.

Also, unplug the video cable from the back of the computer to make sure
it is clean and then make sure it is connected back securely.

Does your computer power up any at all during this, or does it just
beep and dead?

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
the wharf rat

In article <8685809772b00@uwe>, ielmrani via WindowsKB.com <u21259@uwe> wrote:

>It just beeps

How many times does it beep? Is there a pattern, like Morse code?
Those beeps are actually diagnostic codes, at least sometimes.

On the other hand if it beeps exactly once I'd say...check the monitor
cable :-)

the wharf rat

In article <8685ea7427b15@uwe>, ielmrani via WindowsKB.com <u21259@uwe> wrote:
>On a second note, the computer was plugged into the wall during a light
>thunder storm, and when it is turned on it constantly emits a beep then
>pauses then another beep. Like you said, it is probably a motherboard
>problem.

Try reseating the ram. Remove AC power and the battery. Find ram,
remove and replace. Leave without battery for 30 minutes (That's my own
personal superstition based on working with some brands of laptops that get
"confused" but respond to a sort of hard reset...) Reinstall battery and
start machine.

Censored Syndrome

"the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <8685ea7427b15@uwe>, ielmrani via WindowsKB.com <u21259@uwe>
> wrote:
>>On a second note, the computer was plugged into the wall during a light
>>thunder storm, and when it is turned on it constantly emits a beep then
>>pauses then another beep. Like you said, it is probably a motherboard
>>problem.
>>

> Try reseating the ram. Remove AC power and the battery. Find ram,
> remove and replace. Leave without battery for 30 minutes (That's my own
> personal superstition based on working with some brands of laptops that
> get
> "confused" but respond to a sort of hard reset...) Reinstall battery and
> start machine.

No, do the same, but after removing the battery press the power button down
for about 30 seconds, and then try again. Its static build up in the
capacitors used for starting up that caused this. It's happened a few times
on my ThinkPads.

ss.

ielmrani via WindowsKB.com

Re: pc going to sleep and won't start
thank you guys for your suggestions. I'll try and I'll let you know.
The last question: How many times does it beep
It beeps once every 2 seconds or so...