Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

"Shadow copy not created" on backup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008
Rick
 

Posts: n/a
"Shadow copy not created" on backup
I often start a full backup and leave my computer, only to come back at
the end of the day to find that the backup failed:

"A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process
the specified operation."

Not sure what's going on. I look in the Event Viewer and I see two items:

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow
Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details
PreFinalCommitSnapshots({b78c3744-6858-4c09-8bb1-db299de7cae9}, 1) [hr =
0x8000ffff].
Operation:
Executing Asynchronous Operation
Context:
Current State: DoSnapshotSet"

and then a split-second later:
"File backup failed because a shadow copy could not be created. The
system might be low on resources. The error is: The shadow copy provider
had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation.
(0x8004230F)."

I can't imagine that I'm low on resources since I closed all apps.
Thanks much for any thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008
the wharf rat
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Shadow copy not created" on backup
In article <uLtpZ2v2IHA.1808@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>I can't imagine that I'm low on resources since I closed all apps.
>Thanks much for any thoughts on this.



Maximum disk space for shadow copies. I think it's under Volume0>
Properties.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008
Rick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Shadow copy not created" on backup
Thanks -- I don't see this setting anywhere. I looked in all tabs of my
C: drive Properties and don't see this setting. I have a 300 GB drive
that's only 25% full -- I can't imagine it's a problem of disk space,
especially cause it only happens occasionally. It seems that
something's causing it to hiccup but I can't figure out what this item
in the Event Viewer is telling me.

the wharf rat wrote:
> In article <uLtpZ2v2IHA.1808@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:
>> I can't imagine that I'm low on resources since I closed all apps.
>> Thanks much for any thoughts on this.

>
>
> Maximum disk space for shadow copies. I think it's under Volume0>
> Properties.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008
the wharf rat
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Shadow copy not created" on backup
In article <#l2h41w2IHA.5024@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:
>Thanks -- I don't see this setting anywhere. I looked in all tabs of my



Disc Cleanup, More Options tab, System Restore and Shadow Copies,
click Cleanup. That will *also* delete all but your most recent restore
point, though, so you might want to use vssadmin from the command line:

This is a pain. VSS reserves 15% of the disc for shadow copies.
If you have a 300GB disc that's 45GB. You can make that lower by opening
a DOS window and typing vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: for=c: /maxsize=30GB
or you can delete the oldest shadow copy with
vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /oldest, or /all will delete all of them
if you really want to.

I was sure this was available through a properties page somewhere
but can't seem to find it in vista. Here's a pretty good explanation of
vssadmin + a stupid hack to get around it not being in the properties page on
Vista.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...with-vssadmin/

Oh, BTW, you can put the shadow copies for C: on some other drive
if you need more space on c:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=d: maxsize=50GB

for instance. vssadmin list shadowstorage will get you oriented.

Remember to run as administrator...


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
Rick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Shadow copy not created" on backup
[a week later...] I figured VSSADMIN was the way to go, but after
typing the command in the command prompt I'm being told that I don't
have the correct privileges to run this command and that I need
"elevated administrator privileges". I'm the only user on my computer,
and I *am* the administrator. Help! Thanks.

the wharf rat wrote:
> In article <#l2h41w2IHA.5024@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
> Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:
>> Thanks -- I don't see this setting anywhere. I looked in all tabs of my

>
>
> Disc Cleanup, More Options tab, System Restore and Shadow Copies,
> click Cleanup. That will *also* delete all but your most recent restore
> point, though, so you might want to use vssadmin from the command line:
>
> This is a pain. VSS reserves 15% of the disc for shadow copies.
> If you have a 300GB disc that's 45GB. You can make that lower by opening
> a DOS window and typing vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: for=c: /maxsize=30GB
> or you can delete the oldest shadow copy with
> vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /oldest, or /all will delete all of them
> if you really want to.
>
> I was sure this was available through a properties page somewhere
> but can't seem to find it in vista. Here's a pretty good explanation of
> vssadmin + a stupid hack to get around it not being in the properties page on
> Vista.
>
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...with-vssadmin/
>
> Oh, BTW, you can put the shadow copies for C: on some other drive
> if you need more space on c:
>
> vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=d: maxsize=50GB
>
> for instance. vssadmin list shadowstorage will get you oriented.
>
> Remember to run as administrator...
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
PD43
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Shadow copy not created" on backup
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 21:33:26 -0400, Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:

>[a week later...] I figured VSSADMIN was the way to go, but after
>typing the command in the command prompt I'm being told that I don't
>have the correct privileges to run this command and that I need
>"elevated administrator privileges". I'm the only user on my computer,
>and I *am* the administrator. Help! Thanks.


Find "Command Prompt" under All Programs/Accessories

Right-click, Run as administrator


>
>the wharf rat wrote:
>> In article <#l2h41w2IHA.5024@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
>> Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:
>>> Thanks -- I don't see this setting anywhere. I looked in all tabs of my

>>
>>
>> Disc Cleanup, More Options tab, System Restore and Shadow Copies,
>> click Cleanup. That will *also* delete all but your most recent restore
>> point, though, so you might want to use vssadmin from the command line:
>>
>> This is a pain. VSS reserves 15% of the disc for shadow copies.
>> If you have a 300GB disc that's 45GB. You can make that lower by opening
>> a DOS window and typing vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: for=c: /maxsize=30GB
>> or you can delete the oldest shadow copy with
>> vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /oldest, or /all will delete all of them
>> if you really want to.
>>
>> I was sure this was available through a properties page somewhere
>> but can't seem to find it in vista. Here's a pretty good explanation of
>> vssadmin + a stupid hack to get around it not being in the properties page on
>> Vista.
>>
>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...with-vssadmin/
>>
>> Oh, BTW, you can put the shadow copies for C: on some other drive
>> if you need more space on c:
>>
>> vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=d: maxsize=50GB
>>
>> for instance. vssadmin list shadowstorage will get you oriented.
>>
>> Remember to run as administrator...
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
Rick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Shadow copy not created" on backup
OK, thanks. For my 300 GB drive here's what I see:

Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 28.97 GB
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 30.855 GB
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 43.561 GB

Is there any reason why these settings would cause my problem of backups
not completing and generating this error:

A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process
the specified operation."

Thanks for any help.

PD43 wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 21:33:26 -0400, Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> [a week later...] I figured VSSADMIN was the way to go, but after
>> typing the command in the command prompt I'm being told that I don't
>> have the correct privileges to run this command and that I need
>> "elevated administrator privileges". I'm the only user on my computer,
>> and I *am* the administrator. Help! Thanks.

>
> Find "Command Prompt" under All Programs/Accessories
>
> Right-click, Run as administrator
>
>
>> the wharf rat wrote:
>>> In article <#l2h41w2IHA.5024@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
>>> Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:
>>>> Thanks -- I don't see this setting anywhere. I looked in all tabs of my
>>>
>>> Disc Cleanup, More Options tab, System Restore and Shadow Copies,
>>> click Cleanup. That will *also* delete all but your most recent restore
>>> point, though, so you might want to use vssadmin from the command line:
>>>
>>> This is a pain. VSS reserves 15% of the disc for shadow copies.
>>> If you have a 300GB disc that's 45GB. You can make that lower by opening
>>> a DOS window and typing vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: for=c: /maxsize=30GB
>>> or you can delete the oldest shadow copy with
>>> vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /oldest, or /all will delete all of them
>>> if you really want to.
>>>
>>> I was sure this was available through a properties page somewhere
>>> but can't seem to find it in vista. Here's a pretty good explanation of
>>> vssadmin + a stupid hack to get around it not being in the properties page on
>>> Vista.
>>>
>>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...with-vssadmin/
>>>
>>> Oh, BTW, you can put the shadow copies for C: on some other drive
>>> if you need more space on c:
>>>
>>> vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=d: maxsize=50GB
>>>
>>> for instance. vssadmin list shadowstorage will get you oriented.
>>>
>>> Remember to run as administrator...
>>>
>>>

>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
Nonny
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Shadow copy not created" on backup
Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:

>OK, thanks. For my 300 GB drive here's what I see:
>
>Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 28.97 GB
>Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 30.855 GB
>Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 43.561 GB


Those are normal settings for a drive that size and they shouldn't be
causing you any problems.
>
>Is there any reason why these settings would cause my problem of backups
>not completing and generating this error:
>
>A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
>The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process
>the specified operation."
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>PD43 wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 21:33:26 -0400, Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:
>>
>>> [a week later...] I figured VSSADMIN was the way to go, but after
>>> typing the command in the command prompt I'm being told that I don't
>>> have the correct privileges to run this command and that I need
>>> "elevated administrator privileges". I'm the only user on my computer,
>>> and I *am* the administrator. Help! Thanks.

>>
>> Find "Command Prompt" under All Programs/Accessories
>>
>> Right-click, Run as administrator
>>
>>
>>> the wharf rat wrote:
>>>> In article <#l2h41w2IHA.5024@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
>>>> Rick <rick@invalid.net> wrote:
>>>>> Thanks -- I don't see this setting anywhere. I looked in all tabs of my
>>>>
>>>> Disc Cleanup, More Options tab, System Restore and Shadow Copies,
>>>> click Cleanup. That will *also* delete all but your most recent restore
>>>> point, though, so you might want to use vssadmin from the command line:
>>>>
>>>> This is a pain. VSS reserves 15% of the disc for shadow copies.
>>>> If you have a 300GB disc that's 45GB. You can make that lower by opening
>>>> a DOS window and typing vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: for=c: /maxsize=30GB
>>>> or you can delete the oldest shadow copy with
>>>> vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /oldest, or /all will delete all of them
>>>> if you really want to.
>>>>
>>>> I was sure this was available through a properties page somewhere
>>>> but can't seem to find it in vista. Here's a pretty good explanation of
>>>> vssadmin + a stupid hack to get around it not being in the properties page on
>>>> Vista.
>>>>
>>>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...with-vssadmin/
>>>>
>>>> Oh, BTW, you can put the shadow copies for C: on some other drive
>>>> if you need more space on c:
>>>>
>>>> vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=d: maxsize=50GB
>>>>
>>>> for instance. vssadmin list shadowstorage will get you oriented.
>>>>
>>>> Remember to run as administrator...
>>>>
>>>>

>>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
the wharf rat
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Shadow copy not created" on backup
In article <o3p5741o9p5sr3ie281m8do3iuurui6989@4ax.com>,
Nonny <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Those are normal settings for a drive that size and they shouldn't be
>causing you any problems.
>>


UNLESS his new shadow copy (which depends on changed blocks) requires
more than 15GB.

It's not likely, because that would require actually changing 15GB
of data. What I bet is happening is that the guy writes a full backup of his
10-15GB of used space to a .bkf on C:. The next backup pass makes...a shadow
copy of that 15GB of "new" data. So his .bkf's AND the associated file system
shadow copy grows by like a factor of 2 at each backup pass.

Bet you lunch that if you remove the current shadow copies and
create a full backup on an EXTERNAL or SECOND INTERNAL drive the problem
goes away.

Or run backup without making a shadow copy. You won't be able to
back up open files but on a quiet single user system that shouldn't be a
total lose.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
Rick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Shadow copy not created" on backup
Ah, thanks. Maybe this is a clue: I always set it for a full backup --
at least that's my plan -- once a week. (I'm backing up to a USB drive
on drive J: -- I assume that's an 'External' Backup, right?) I've
turned off Vista's incremental backup feature (which I guess is called
'Automatic backup') since I figure just doing a full backup once a week
is all I need. So after I do that new, full backup (which now usually
fails!) I turn off Automatic Backup since Vista seems to always turn it
back on after either a successful backup or an unsuccessful backup ( and
like I say it mostly is unsuccessful now).

Maybe all these shenanigans are causing the problem?

How do I remove the current shadow copies? Is that the same as removing
all but the most recent restore point as explained in that "Reclaim and
Release Disk Space from System Restore and Shadow Copies" article?

I just looked at Vista's Backup and I don't see how to do it without a
Shadow Copy.

Thanks for all your help; much appreciated.


the wharf rat wrote:
> In article <o3p5741o9p5sr3ie281m8do3iuurui6989@4ax.com>,
> Nonny <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Those are normal settings for a drive that size and they shouldn't be
>> causing you any problems.

>
> UNLESS his new shadow copy (which depends on changed blocks) requires
> more than 15GB.
>
> It's not likely, because that would require actually changing 15GB
> of data. What I bet is happening is that the guy writes a full backup of his
> 10-15GB of used space to a .bkf on C:. The next backup pass makes...a shadow
> copy of that 15GB of "new" data. So his .bkf's AND the associated file system
> shadow copy grows by like a factor of 2 at each backup pass.
>
> Bet you lunch that if you remove the current shadow copies and
> create a full backup on an EXTERNAL or SECOND INTERNAL drive the problem
> goes away.
>
> Or run backup without making a shadow copy. You won't be able to
> back up open files but on a quiet single user system that shouldn't be a
> total lose.
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not a "Genuine Copy", and an "Invalid Activation Key" from Gateway karlano microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 6 06-13-2008 14:32
Backup Fails "The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error..." Dell Boy microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 15 12-05-2007 13:50
Completely turn off "Shadow Copy" (Vista Ultimate) Mark Conrad microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 5 10-23-2007 18:08
How can I add the icons "Delete", "Cut", "Copy" and "Paste" in Vis Moonwalker microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 5 09-17-2007 23:53
Vista's "shadow copy" and Outlook PST files Steve Silverwood microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-20-2007 19:10




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:29.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120