which do you prefer ? XP or Vista?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Jane C

Re: which do you prefer ? XP or Vista?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(Linux_distribution)

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"GodKiller" <cliz_yan@126.com> wrote in message
news:O%23czR0$IHHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> what's the meaning of "Ubuntu" ?

Quanta

"Alias" <aka@masked&anonymous.es> wrote in message
news:%230x%23z59IHHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> So the VAT is compounded and not just applied to the retail sale?

> If something is priced at 100 euro, your VAT will be 16% or 116 euro on
> most things, including services. It stands for Value Added Tax.
>
> For Americans, the euro zone and the UK are very expensive nowadays. Ever
> since Bush took over and squandered the US Treasury, supported by the
> Republican Congress, it's gotten more and more expensive. Before Bush,
> Spain was very cheap for Americans but the dollar was strong back then,
> not worth the .75 euro that it's worth now.

When I traveled Europe in 2000 I got 1.1 euros per dollar. Australia was
hugely better...aus$ was 57 cents. You could stay in five star hotels for a
pittance.

I wouldn't vacation outside the US until the Euro, which is hugely hugely
overvalued, gets in line.

Michael Jennings

Re: which do you prefer ? XP or Vista?
you meant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_...istribution%29

"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message news:uoije4$IHHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(Linux_distribution)
>
> "GodKiller" <cliz_yan@126.com> wrote in message
>> what's the meaning of "Ubuntu" ?

Alias

Ron K. wrote:
> Ubuntu, lack of compatiable hardware and software and VERY limited support.

No problem with hardware on an old box that I put it on. With the SAME
box, XP didn't recognize the ATI video card or the audio card. It comes
with hundreds of kinds of software. There are newsgroups and other forum
for Ubuntu. You're just blowing hot air.

Alias
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> GodKiller wrote:
>>> which ? why ?
>>>

>> Ubuntu, faster and safer.
>>
>> Alias

Alias

Saucy wrote:
> Take a trip to the local computer store. Vista's name is on every
> computer .. vouchers for it come with every computer purchase. For Xp
> it's curtains ..

Maybe in your country it is, not here. Not one single computer store
here has "Vista ready" computers with coupons. MS, traditionally, uses
the USA to finally test their operating systems. IOW, YOU are one of MS'
guinea pigs. You can, however, find many computer stores that will
install Linux for free.

I plan to use XP for years and it will work; there will be updates and,
well, you're wrong. Why anyone would want to buy an OS that is riddled
with DRM and requires hardware purchases just boggles the mind.

Vista: the beginning of the end for MS operating systems.

Alias

> "Alias" <aka@masked&anonymous.es> wrote in message
>> Saucy wrote:
>>> It's as dead as yesterday's news. All the retail computers now have
>>> Vista capable stickers. XP is out, Vista is the new black. You point
>>> to the support .. it's just life support .. things have moved on ..
>>> Vista is what's happening now.

>> Are you trying to convince us or yourself?
>>
>> Alias

Alias

Ron K. wrote:
> But Alias alot of people ARE buying new computers!

Most people in Spain buy white boxes. Remember, this is an international
newsgroup.

> People are moving to the
> Multi processor computers, Microsoft is timing the release of Vista
> perfectly. Millions of people and businesses will be upgrading in the coming
> year and its safe to say most of those machines will contain Vista. I am one
> of these people, I had been pondering a new computer for quite some time,
> Vista simple hastened by purchase (that and the sweet deal I got on it).

I never said there aren't a lot of naive people in the USA who will pony
up to buy the latest and "greatest". Just watch this newsgroup after
Jan. 30th to see the overwhelming negative reaction. The ONLY people
here that are raving about Vista are techies because Vista isn't
available to the public yet.

Alias

> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>>> While many will require hardware upgrades, many will not.
>>> The newest part on my computer is the 1.5 year old video card.
>>> Vista works very well.
>>>
>>> So maybe Paolo is not forgetting so much as you are assuming.
>>>

>> You've priced Vista in Spain? I haven't because it isn't available here
>> yet. You know that we have euros here, don't you? To give you an idea,
>> XP Pro Upgrade goes for $US390.80. I do know that the old Athlon 800
>> with 512 PC-133 computer of mine would not run Vista but it runs XP just
>> fine. I suppose you would suggest my dumping it and getting a "Vista
>> Ready" machine. A LOT of people would have to buy a new computer to get
>> Vista, not techs like you that are continually upgrading your machines.
>>
>> Alias

Alias

Saucy wrote:
> Get a job.

I own my own business but that doesn't mean I am going to scrap a
perfectly good computer to have a DRM riddled OS.

Alias

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> So the VAT is not applied at the wholesale level, then again at the
> distribution level, and once again at the retail level? It is only
> applied once like our sales taxes?

No, it is applied only once, at the retail level.

Alias

> "Alias" <aka@masked&anonymous.es> wrote in message
>> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>>> So the VAT is compounded and not just applied to the retail sale?

>> If something is priced at 100 euro, your VAT will be 16% or 116 euro
>> on most things, including services. It stands for Value Added Tax.
>>
>> For Americans, the euro zone and the UK are very expensive nowadays.
>> Ever since Bush took over and squandered the US Treasury, supported by
>> the Republican Congress, it's gotten more and more expensive. Before
>> Bush, Spain was very cheap for Americans but the dollar was strong
>> back then, not worth the .75 euro that it's worth now.

Paul-B

Alias wrote:

> Ron K. wrote:
> > Ubuntu, lack of compatiable hardware and software and VERY limited
> > support.

> No problem with hardware on an old box that I put it on. With the
> SAME box, XP didn't recognize the ATI video card or the audio card.
> It comes with hundreds of kinds of software. There are newsgroups and
> other forum for Ubuntu. You're just blowing hot air.

I can never understand why "supporters" of something like XP or Vista
feel they have to post rubbish when they are discussing other o/s'. As
you say, there are thousands of apps available for Ubuntu, I have yet
to find hardware that Ubuntu doesn't recognise - on my Ubuntu pc XP and
Vista couldn't find drivers for the SATA drives and the soundcard, both
of which Ubuntu picked-up without any problems.

Personally speaking, as a very new Ubuntu user I've had loads of
support from Ubuntu and Linux newsgroups and forums.

It seems that Ron K has a very closed mind.

--
Paul-B
Alias

Quanta wrote:
> "Alias" <aka@masked&anonymous.es> wrote in message
>> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>>> So the VAT is compounded and not just applied to the retail sale?

>> If something is priced at 100 euro, your VAT will be 16% or 116 euro on
>> most things, including services. It stands for Value Added Tax.
>>
>> For Americans, the euro zone and the UK are very expensive nowadays. Ever
>> since Bush took over and squandered the US Treasury, supported by the
>> Republican Congress, it's gotten more and more expensive. Before Bush,
>> Spain was very cheap for Americans but the dollar was strong back then,
>> not worth the .75 euro that it's worth now.
>>

> When I traveled Europe in 2000 I got 1.1 euros per dollar. Australia was
> hugely better...aus$ was 57 cents. You could stay in five star hotels for a
> pittance.
>
> I wouldn't vacation outside the US until the Euro, which is hugely hugely
> overvalued, gets in line.

Um, the dollar is low because of Bush's and the former Republican
Congress' free spending. Both budget deficits are the underlying cause,
along with many central banks ditching dollars in favor of euros. And,
if you think it's bad now, most OPEC countries will be charging euros
for their oil instead of dollars. Get ready for $4 a gallon gas. Blaming
it on the euro zone where deficits and inflation are controlled is naive.

Alias