Cannot install MSU files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Kristin L. Griffin

Cannot install MSU files
I am trying to install Hyper V remote admin tools and RSAT tools on my 32bit
Vista Enterprise SP1 computer. When I run the install it tells me "the
update does not apply to your system".

This does not make sense. I have the required OS, and SP1.
The updates are not installed already (I checked).
I am loggedin with admin permissions
Firewall is off

I tried to use wusa.exe at command line - it does not work.
I tried using the expand command and then packager - does not work
I get no errors in the event log
Windows updates are working

GPO CSE is not installed (I saw on the net where someone had luck turning
this off) so this is not the issue.

Anyone else having issues with MSU files? What am I missing here?

Thanks!

KLG
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Cannot install MSU files
Please use the forums for Hyper-V at
http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/...yperv/threads/

Some information may be available in the microsoft.public.virtualserver
newsgroup.

You can also scan Virtual PC Guys blogs at
http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/

The Hyper-V tools for Vista are properly a Hyper-V subject. There simply
aren't enough users here familiar with the subject.

"Kristin L. Griffin" <KristinLGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news61ABCC4-D6BC-4572-B5F2-F4221E959129@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to install Hyper V remote admin tools and RSAT tools on my
>32bit
> Vista Enterprise SP1 computer. When I run the install it tells me "the
> update does not apply to your system".
>
> This does not make sense. I have the required OS, and SP1.
> The updates are not installed already (I checked).
> I am loggedin with admin permissions
> Firewall is off
>
> I tried to use wusa.exe at command line - it does not work.
> I tried using the expand command and then packager - does not work
> I get no errors in the event log
> Windows updates are working
>
> GPO CSE is not installed (I saw on the net where someone had luck turning
> this off) so this is not the issue.
>
> Anyone else having issues with MSU files? What am I missing here?
>
> Thanks!
>
> KLG

Kristin L. Griffin

Re: Cannot install MSU files
This is not a Hyper V question. It pertains specifically to Vista. Again, I
am having issues installing MSU files. The Hyper V update was just one of
them. I can't install RSAT tools (another MSU file) either.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Please use the forums for Hyper-V at
> http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/...yperv/threads/
>
> Some information may be available in the microsoft.public.virtualserver
> newsgroup.
>
> You can also scan Virtual PC Guys blogs at
> http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/
>
> The Hyper-V tools for Vista are properly a Hyper-V subject. There simply
> aren't enough users here familiar with the subject.
>

> "Kristin L. Griffin" <KristinLGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news61ABCC4-D6BC-4572-B5F2-F4221E959129@microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to install Hyper V remote admin tools and RSAT tools on my
> >32bit
> > Vista Enterprise SP1 computer. When I run the install it tells me "the
> > update does not apply to your system".
> >
> > This does not make sense. I have the required OS, and SP1.
> > The updates are not installed already (I checked).
> > I am loggedin with admin permissions
> > Firewall is off
> >
> > I tried to use wusa.exe at command line - it does not work.
> > I tried using the expand command and then packager - does not work
> > I get no errors in the event log
> > Windows updates are working
> >
> > GPO CSE is not installed (I saw on the net where someone had luck turning
> > this off) so this is not the issue.
> >
> > Anyone else having issues with MSU files? What am I missing here?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > KLG

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Cannot install MSU files
No, it is a Hyper-V question. Hyper-V is not a part of Vista. Also,
Hyper-V is still pre-release software.

Vista is used to manage the vms through the Hyper-V tools, but all the
information about that is in the Server 2008 Hyper-V forum.

If you were asking a Virtual Server question you would still go to a VS
newsgroup even though you were running VS on Vista. Same with Word and
other applications.

Vista users in this ng generally don't have Server 2008 so have no way to
even know what a Hyper-V role is. Once Hyper-V releases to manufacturing in
a few weeks they will begin to learn more about it as Microsoft begins
advertising it.

"Kristin L. Griffin" <KristinLGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5CAFF7E0-A0A8-46D2-AEC2-CCD900D2B842@microsoft.com...
> This is not a Hyper V question. It pertains specifically to Vista.
> Again, I
> am having issues installing MSU files. The Hyper V update was just one of
> them. I can't install RSAT tools (another MSU file) either.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Please use the forums for Hyper-V at
>> http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/...yperv/threads/
>>
>> Some information may be available in the microsoft.public.virtualserver
>> newsgroup.
>>
>> You can also scan Virtual PC Guys blogs at
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/
>>
>> The Hyper-V tools for Vista are properly a Hyper-V subject. There simply
>> aren't enough users here familiar with the subject.
>>

>> "Kristin L. Griffin" <KristinLGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news61ABCC4-D6BC-4572-B5F2-F4221E959129@microsoft.com...
>> >I am trying to install Hyper V remote admin tools and RSAT tools on my
>> >32bit
>> > Vista Enterprise SP1 computer. When I run the install it tells me "the
>> > update does not apply to your system".
>> >
>> > This does not make sense. I have the required OS, and SP1.
>> > The updates are not installed already (I checked).
>> > I am loggedin with admin permissions
>> > Firewall is off
>> >
>> > I tried to use wusa.exe at command line - it does not work.
>> > I tried using the expand command and then packager - does not work
>> > I get no errors in the event log
>> > Windows updates are working
>> >
>> > GPO CSE is not installed (I saw on the net where someone had luck
>> > turning
>> > this off) so this is not the issue.
>> >
>> > Anyone else having issues with MSU files? What am I missing here?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > KLG

KG

Re: Cannot install MSU files
Ok, forget the Hyper V. I AM HAVING TROUBLE INSTALLING ANY MSU FILE.

Can anyone else help me out here?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> No, it is a Hyper-V question. Hyper-V is not a part of Vista. Also,
> Hyper-V is still pre-release software.
>
> Vista is used to manage the vms through the Hyper-V tools, but all the
> information about that is in the Server 2008 Hyper-V forum.
>
> If you were asking a Virtual Server question you would still go to a VS
> newsgroup even though you were running VS on Vista. Same with Word and
> other applications.
>
> Vista users in this ng generally don't have Server 2008 so have no way to
> even know what a Hyper-V role is. Once Hyper-V releases to manufacturing in
> a few weeks they will begin to learn more about it as Microsoft begins
> advertising it.
>
> "Kristin L. Griffin" <KristinLGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:5CAFF7E0-A0A8-46D2-AEC2-CCD900D2B842@microsoft.com...
> > This is not a Hyper V question. It pertains specifically to Vista.
> > Again, I
> > am having issues installing MSU files. The Hyper V update was just one of
> > them. I can't install RSAT tools (another MSU file) either.
> >

> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> Please use the forums for Hyper-V at
> >> http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/...yperv/threads/
> >>
> >> Some information may be available in the microsoft.public.virtualserver
> >> newsgroup.
> >>
> >> You can also scan Virtual PC Guys blogs at
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/
> >>
> >> The Hyper-V tools for Vista are properly a Hyper-V subject. There simply
> >> aren't enough users here familiar with the subject.
> >>

> >> "Kristin L. Griffin" <KristinLGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news61ABCC4-D6BC-4572-B5F2-F4221E959129@microsoft.com...

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Cannot install MSU files
I suggest you look at Tim Quan's (MSFT) reply to the OP in this thread,
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6937&SiteID=17

and the methods in:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Allow some time. Good luck with your issue.

"KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, forget the Hyper V. I AM HAVING TROUBLE INSTALLING ANY MSU FILE.
>
> Can anyone else help me out here?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> No, it is a Hyper-V question. Hyper-V is not a part of Vista. Also,
>> Hyper-V is still pre-release software.
>>
>> Vista is used to manage the vms through the Hyper-V tools, but all the
>> information about that is in the Server 2008 Hyper-V forum.
>>
>> If you were asking a Virtual Server question you would still go to a VS
>> newsgroup even though you were running VS on Vista. Same with Word and
>> other applications.
>>
>> Vista users in this ng generally don't have Server 2008 so have no way to
>> even know what a Hyper-V role is. Once Hyper-V releases to manufacturing
>> in
>> a few weeks they will begin to learn more about it as Microsoft begins
>> advertising it.
>>
>> "Kristin L. Griffin" <KristinLGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:5CAFF7E0-A0A8-46D2-AEC2-CCD900D2B842@microsoft.com...
>> > This is not a Hyper V question. It pertains specifically to Vista.
>> > Again, I
>> > am having issues installing MSU files. The Hyper V update was just one
>> > of
>> > them. I can't install RSAT tools (another MSU file) either.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Cannot install MSU files
Probably ought to look at this one first:

I just read that Hyper-V rtm'd today so when you get sorted be sure that you
update your server with the new bits.

Old Vista install files malefactor Software Problems 0 03-16-2008 00:13
install zip files gramps microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 03-09-2008 20:27
Article ID: 930984 Error message when you try to install Windows Vista by using a computer's DVD drive: "Windows cannot install required files" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Restoring Files After Re-install M@ microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 09-19-2007 04:32
Access Vista Install DVD Files-Replace Corrupt Files uvbogden microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 08-22-2007 11:02