Reinstall Vista Basic without DVD?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

stuart

Reinstall Vista Basic without DVD?
Hi,

I need to reformat the hard-drive of my laptop (annual clean) but I cannot
find my Vista Basic DVD, I cannot even remember getting any DVDs with the
laptop when I bought it brand new from Currys (major UK electronics shop)
before christmas.

Is there any other way I can reinstall Vista Basic (I don't want to restore
Vista to a previous date) without the DVD? I've been into
Start/Computer/Properties to get my Windows Activation Product ID, just in
case anything thinks I'm trying to install an un-purchased copy.

Also, what would I need to do for drivers of things like the graphics,
sound, wireless network card etc?

Really need help with this one.

Thanks.
Tim Slattery

Re: Reinstall Vista Basic without DVD?
stuart <stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to reformat the hard-drive of my laptop (annual clean) but I cannot
>find my Vista Basic DVD, I cannot even remember getting any DVDs with the
>laptop when I bought it brand new from Currys (major UK electronics shop)
>before christmas.

>Is there any other way I can reinstall Vista Basic (I don't want to restore
>Vista to a previous date) without the DVD?

Check your system documentation. Many computers have a hidden
partition that's used to restore to factory condition. It's accessed
by some combination of keys at startup.

BTW: You do NOT need a regular reformat of your HD, as you seem to
think.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(Shell/User)
Hiren

Re: Reinstall Vista Basic without DVD?
Please be aware that formatting your hard-drive may possibly nullify any
support claims/warranty that is provided by your lap-top's OEM.
No,re-installation without the media is not possible.
The product ID which you see in the `System properties` window is different
from the product KEY which is needed during installation.
As far as drivers are concerned,which devices needed third-party drivers?

"stuart" <stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hi,

I need to reformat the hard-drive of my laptop (annual clean) but I cannot
find my Vista Basic DVD, I cannot even remember getting any DVDs with the
laptop when I bought it brand new from Currys (major UK electronics shop)
before christmas.

Is there any other way I can reinstall Vista Basic (I don't want to restore
Vista to a previous date) without the DVD? I've been into
Start/Computer/Properties to get my Windows Activation Product ID, just in
case anything thinks I'm trying to install an un-purchased copy.

Also, what would I need to do for drivers of things like the graphics,
sound, wireless network card etc?

Really need help with this one.

Thanks.

PD43

Re: Reinstall Vista Basic without DVD?
stuart <stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to reformat the hard-drive of my laptop (annual clean) but I cannot
>find my Vista Basic DVD, I cannot even remember getting any DVDs with the
>laptop when I bought it brand new from Currys (major UK electronics shop)
>before christmas.

Does your system have a "D" partition? If so, that's where your OS
files are... and anything else that your computer came installed with.

If that partition exists, then there should be a boot option given you
to start that restore process. It will put your computer into "out of
the box" condition.

>Is there any other way I can reinstall Vista Basic (I don't want to restore
>Vista to a previous date) without the DVD? I've been into
>Start/Computer/Properties to get my Windows Activation Product ID, just in
>case anything thinks I'm trying to install an un-purchased copy.
>
>Also, what would I need to do for drivers of things like the graphics,
>sound, wireless network card etc?
>
>Really need help with this one.
>
>Thanks.

stuart

Re: Reinstall Vista Basic without DVD?
Is there some way I can get a copy of Vista Basic, that I guess I should have
had with the laptop?

"PD43" wrote:

> stuart <stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I need to reformat the hard-drive of my laptop (annual clean) but I cannot
> >find my Vista Basic DVD, I cannot even remember getting any DVDs with the
> >laptop when I bought it brand new from Currys (major UK electronics shop)
> >before christmas.

> Does your system have a "D" partition? If so, that's where your OS
> files are... and anything else that your computer came installed with.
>
> If that partition exists, then there should be a boot option given you
> to start that restore process. It will put your computer into "out of
> the box" condition.
>
> >Is there any other way I can reinstall Vista Basic (I don't want to restore
> >Vista to a previous date) without the DVD? I've been into
> >Start/Computer/Properties to get my Windows Activation Product ID, just in
> >case anything thinks I'm trying to install an un-purchased copy.
> >
> >Also, what would I need to do for drivers of things like the graphics,
> >sound, wireless network card etc?
> >
> >Really need help with this one.
> >
> >Thanks.

Earle Horton

Re: Reinstall Vista Basic without DVD?
If you bought the computer new then call the manufacturer and they should
have a program to send you an OEM Vista disk and a drivers disk that you
will need too, for a nominal fee. Curry's may also be helpful.

What kind of computer is this? It is very unusual to get a new computer
without full materials to reinstall the operating system. Even if it is a
model assembled in-house the assembler has a responsibility to provide you
with replacement operating system media if you ask.

Microsoft has a program to provide these materials if neither the
manufacturer nor the vender is helpful. The following page may be helpful
in that case. You would need to have your Certificate of Authenticity handy
and they may also want proof of purchase. Usually there is a sticker
affixed to your laptop with a Product ID code.

Cheers,

Earle

> Is there some way I can get a copy of Vista Basic, that I guess I should
> have
> had with the laptop?
>
> "PD43" wrote:
>
>> stuart <stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I need to reformat the hard-drive of my laptop (annual clean) but I
>> >cannot
>> >find my Vista Basic DVD, I cannot even remember getting any DVDs with
>> >the
>> >laptop when I bought it brand new from Currys (major UK electronics
>> >shop)
>> >before christmas.

>> Does your system have a "D" partition? If so, that's where your OS
>> files are... and anything else that your computer came installed with.
>>
>> If that partition exists, then there should be a boot option given you
>> to start that restore process. It will put your computer into "out of
>> the box" condition.
>>
>> >Is there any other way I can reinstall Vista Basic (I don't want to
>> >restore
>> >Vista to a previous date) without the DVD? I've been into
>> >Start/Computer/Properties to get my Windows Activation Product ID, just
>> >in
>> >case anything thinks I'm trying to install an un-purchased copy.
>> >
>> >Also, what would I need to do for drivers of things like the graphics,
>> >sound, wireless network card etc?
>> >
>> >Really need help with this one.
>> >
>> >Thanks.

stuart

Re: Reinstall Vista Basic without DVD?
It's an E-System EI 3103 laptop. Thanks.

"Earle Horton" wrote:

> If you bought the computer new then call the manufacturer and they should
> have a program to send you an OEM Vista disk and a drivers disk that you
> will need too, for a nominal fee. Curry's may also be helpful.
>
> What kind of computer is this? It is very unusual to get a new computer
> without full materials to reinstall the operating system. Even if it is a
> model assembled in-house the assembler has a responsibility to provide you
> with replacement operating system media if you ask.
>
> Microsoft has a program to provide these materials if neither the
> manufacturer nor the vender is helpful. The following page may be helpful
> in that case. You would need to have your Certificate of Authenticity handy
> and they may also want proof of purchase. Usually there is a sticker
> affixed to your laptop with a Product ID code.

> Cheers,
>
> Earle
>
> "stuart" <stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there some way I can get a copy of Vista Basic, that I guess I should
> > have
> > had with the laptop?

> >> Does your system have a "D" partition? If so, that's where your OS
> >> files are... and anything else that your computer came installed with.
> >>
> >> If that partition exists, then there should be a boot option given you
> >> to start that restore process. It will put your computer into "out of
> >> the box" condition.

Patrick Keenan

news40AF099-CBE4-4195-8D64-7E53BFC80F37@microsoft.com...
> It's an E-System EI 3103 laptop. Thanks.

Many systems that don't come with reinstall DVDs, do have a utility for
creating a system restore or backup. This should be done as the very
first step when starting the computer new, but it's usually optional, and so
people just don't do it. And that leads to expensive problems later.

You should check the manual and help files for the system, and possibly call
the manufacturer's support line.

Sometimes the system backup that's created isn't really what you want, and
you may be able to get a reinstall DVD from the manufacturer. Don't expect
this to be free; for this system, I had to pay around $50 including
shipping. These DVDs can sometimes have features that the backup
doesn't have, such as allowing you to install to a new, larger hard disk.
And they will have the drivers you need. Don't expect to be able to use
this DVD on any other type of system.

And as noted, there is no reason for you to have to do an "annual
reinstall". You should be able to run Vista or XP for years, 24x7,
without needing to reinstall.

HTH
-pk

> "Earle Horton" wrote:
>
>> If you bought the computer new then call the manufacturer and they should
>> have a program to send you an OEM Vista disk and a drivers disk that you
>> will need too, for a nominal fee. Curry's may also be helpful.
>>
>> What kind of computer is this? It is very unusual to get a new computer
>> without full materials to reinstall the operating system. Even if it is
>> model assembled in-house the assembler has a responsibility to provide
>> you
>> with replacement operating system media if you ask.
>>
>> Microsoft has a program to provide these materials if neither the
>> manufacturer nor the vender is helpful. The following page may be
>> helpful
>> in that case. You would need to have your Certificate of Authenticity
>> handy
>> and they may also want proof of purchase. Usually there is a sticker
>> affixed to your laptop with a Product ID code.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Earle
>>
>> "stuart" <stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there some way I can get a copy of Vista Basic, that I guess I
>> > should
>> > have
>> > had with the laptop?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Reinstall Vista Basic without DVD?
Unless you have removed it your laptop should have a hidden recovery
partition. My wife's is accessed using F11 at startup. You don't give any
details about your computer so that's about all anyone can tell you.

Why do you feel you need to flatten the system once a year? Vista certainly
does cause that. If it is your way of doing general housekeeping, I suggest
that you develop different habits for maintaining your computer.

The Product ID string on System Properties is not related to your product
key in any helpful way.

Unless you have a mfg provided dvd you need to restore to factory condition
and reinstall your apps, files, and settings.

What problems are you having that you think require a reinstall of Windows?
It should be better to solve such problems so that you don't have them again
than start all over.

Any drivers you need for a laptop is on the mfg's website but the software
in the recovery partition will install any drivers you need.