Screen aspect ratio with Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Jon

Screen aspect ratio with Vista
I just lost the use of my computer...for design purposes, that is. My new
Dell has a sparkling LCD display, but all applications (and the desktop for
that matter) is stretched horizontally; i.e., a perfectly round circle in a
drawing program looks like an egg (an oval).

I'm embarassed that I gave the Dell tech a hard time last night about not
knowing how to adjust the aspect ratio to my liking. Dell has only 2 choices:
Stretch to full screen or "maintain aspect ratio". My monitor control was set
to maintain aspect already.

Anyone know about a Vista fix that allows normal monitor aspect ratio? You
can't use design software with problems like this.

Jon
Sinner

Re: Screen aspect ratio with Vista

"Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just lost the use of my computer...for design purposes, that is. My new
> Dell has a sparkling LCD display, but all applications (and the desktop
> for
> that matter) is stretched horizontally; i.e., a perfectly round circle in
> drawing program looks like an egg (an oval).
>
> I'm embarassed that I gave the Dell tech a hard time last night about not
> knowing how to adjust the aspect ratio to my liking. Dell has only 2
> choices:
> Stretch to full screen or "maintain aspect ratio". My monitor control was
> set
> to maintain aspect already.
>
> Anyone know about a Vista fix that allows normal monitor aspect ratio? You
> can't use design software with problems like this.

Do you mean that you cannot go into the Display settings and select
different screen resolutions, ie. 1280X960, 1024X768, 1600X1200?

Changing the monitor resolution also affects the width to height ration.

"Sinner" <sinner@gatesofhell.org> wrote in message

> "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I just lost the use of my computer...for design purposes, that is. My new
>> Dell has a sparkling LCD display, but all applications (and the desktop
>> for
>> that matter) is stretched horizontally; i.e., a perfectly round circle in
>> drawing program looks like an egg (an oval).
>>
>> I'm embarassed that I gave the Dell tech a hard time last night about not
>> knowing how to adjust the aspect ratio to my liking. Dell has only 2
>> choices:
>> Stretch to full screen or "maintain aspect ratio". My monitor control was
>> set
>> to maintain aspect already.
>>
>> Anyone know about a Vista fix that allows normal monitor aspect ratio?
>> You
>> can't use design software with problems like this.
>>

> Do you mean that you cannot go into the Display settings and select
> different screen resolutions, ie. 1280X960, 1024X768, 1600X1200?
>
> Changing the monitor resolution also affects the width to height ration.

Correction: ration > ratio

Tom Allen

Re: Screen aspect ratio with Vista

"Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just lost the use of my computer...for design purposes, that is. My
>new
> Dell has a sparkling LCD display, but all applications (and the
> desktop for
> that matter) is stretched horizontally; i.e., a perfectly round circle
> in a
> drawing program looks like an egg (an oval).
>
> I'm embarassed that I gave the Dell tech a hard time last night about
> not
> knowing how to adjust the aspect ratio to my liking. Dell has only 2
> choices:
> Stretch to full screen or "maintain aspect ratio". My monitor control
> was set
> to maintain aspect already.
>
> Anyone know about a Vista fix that allows normal monitor aspect ratio?
> You
> can't use design software with problems like this.
>
> Jon

I don't understand the 'only two choices' so maybe I'm not grasping the
complexity of your problem but
it sounds as if you just need to change the resolution in the display
setup -
Right click the desktop > Personalise > Display Settings > Monitor tab >
Resolution

The clever bit is to choose a suitable resolution which also matches the
aspect ratio of your display, the 'native resolution' of the monitor is
best if you know it.

There are many different aspect ratios but your graphics card needs to
be able to generate the one you would really like for your design
puposes. You may have to do some arithmetic.

Tom

Steve Thackery

Re: Screen aspect ratio with Vista
> There are many different aspect ratios but your graphics card needs to be
> able to generate the one you would really like for your design puposes.
> You may have to do some arithmetic.

And remember that the pixels may not be square. They aren't on one of my
monitors. You have to take that into account if you want circles to look
circular!

SteveT

The Coward Robert Ford

Hobbes <Hobbes@Calvins.lol> wrote in news:g3h4m3$qls$1@aioe.org:

> Do you know what graphics drivers you have ?
> Using the Graphics drivers....you can force the native aspect ratio of
> your display

Ignore the guy, he is a troll. Look through his posting history and you
will see I am right.
Phillips

Re: Screen aspect ratio with Vista
Go here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
and try to adjust your monitor.
Michael

"Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just lost the use of my computer...for design purposes, that is. My new
> Dell has a sparkling LCD display, but all applications (and the desktop
> for
> that matter) is stretched horizontally; i.e., a perfectly round circle in
> drawing program looks like an egg (an oval).
>
> I'm embarassed that I gave the Dell tech a hard time last night about not
> knowing how to adjust the aspect ratio to my liking. Dell has only 2
> choices:
> Stretch to full screen or "maintain aspect ratio". My monitor control was
> set
> to maintain aspect already.
>
> Anyone know about a Vista fix that allows normal monitor aspect ratio? You
> can't use design software with problems like this.
>
> Jon

Hiren

Re: Screen aspect ratio with Vista
uNLESS THE MONITOR SPECIFICALLY SUPPORTS CERTAIN WIDE-SCREEN
RESOLUTIONS,MOST OPTIONS GIVEN FOR CHANGING THE SCREEN RESOLUTION,E.G..
640x480,800x600,1024x768,1280x960,1600x1200 would still have an aspect ratio
of 4:3 only.

jON,IT WOULD HELP IF YOU COULD PROVIDE US WITH THE COMPLETE AND ACCURATE
MODEL NUMBER OF THE L. C. D.

"Sinner" <sinner@gatesofhell.org> wrote in message

"Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just lost the use of my computer...for design purposes, that is. My new
> Dell has a sparkling LCD display, but all applications (and the desktop
> for
> that matter) is stretched horizontally; i.e., a perfectly round circle in
> drawing program looks like an egg (an oval).
>
> I'm embarassed that I gave the Dell tech a hard time last night about not
> knowing how to adjust the aspect ratio to my liking. Dell has only 2
> choices:
> Stretch to full screen or "maintain aspect ratio". My monitor control was
> set
> to maintain aspect already.
>
> Anyone know about a Vista fix that allows normal monitor aspect ratio? You
> can't use design software with problems like this.

Do you mean that you cannot go into the Display settings and select
different screen resolutions, ie. 1280X960, 1024X768, 1600X1200?

Changing the monitor resolution also affects the width to height ration.

Not Me

Re: Screen aspect ratio with Vista
If it's a widescreen, using 800x600 or such (that works on a standard CRT)
will give that effect.
What is the native resolution of the monitor? Set your resolution to that.
It is listed in the manual.
If your video card doesn't support it, get one that does.
Or ask Dell for the proper driver to have the native resolution available.
Once you have the resolution set right, the aspect ratio will be as well.

"Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just lost the use of my computer...for design purposes, that is. My new
> Dell has a sparkling LCD display, but all applications (and the desktop
> for
> that matter) is stretched horizontally; i.e., a perfectly round circle in
> drawing program looks like an egg (an oval).
>
> I'm embarassed that I gave the Dell tech a hard time last night about not
> knowing how to adjust the aspect ratio to my liking. Dell has only 2
> choices:
> Stretch to full screen or "maintain aspect ratio". My monitor control was
> set
> to maintain aspect already.
>
> Anyone know about a Vista fix that allows normal monitor aspect ratio? You
> can't use design software with problems like this.
>
> Jon

Hobbes

The Coward Robert Ford wrote:
> Hobbes <Hobbes@Calvins.lol> wrote in news:g3h4m3$qls$1@aioe.org:
>
>> Do you know what graphics drivers you have ?
>> Using the Graphics drivers....you can force the native aspect ratio of
>> your display
>>

> Ignore the guy, he is a troll. Look through his posting history and you
> will see I am right.

You are telling me to ignore me ?
What a genius you must be.

What the frig is a troll ?
Isn't that like a gremlin ?

Or is a troll someone whom post their opinion ?
You last post ...was that trolling ?