Vista cannot see XP computers on network

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Bill

Vista cannot see XP computers on network
I am very new to Vista. I have a small home network. The three XP
machines on the network use static IP addresses. One of the XP machines
shares a printer. When I open Windows Explorer and click on Network the
only computer listed is the Vista Business machine.

I cannot find any way to search for a computer by entering the computer
name or IP address as I can in Explorer on XP. I have no idea what the
search box in the upper right corner is supposed to do but it does not
work. As soon as I type any character in the box it says "No items
match your search."

I can ping the XP machine from a command window on the vista machine.

If I do DIR \\COMPUTERNAME\PRINT$ at the command prompt the directory
on the XP machine is listed.

I can see the Vista machine in Explorer on the XP machine.

What must I do to allow Vista to see the other computers on the
network??? Thanks.

--
..Bill.
Bill

Re: Vista cannot see XP computers on network
I should add that network discovery is On on the Vista machine.

--
..Bill.
executioner

On Jun 17, 12:09*pm, "Bill" <n...@no.com> wrote:
> I am very new to Vista. I have a small home network. The three XP
> machines on the network use static IP addresses. One of the XP machines
> shares a printer. When I open Windows Explorer and click on Network the
> only computer listed is the Vista Business machine.
>
> I cannot find any way to search for a computer by entering the computer
> name or IP address as I can in Explorer on XP. I have no idea what the
> search box in the upper right corner is supposed to do but it does not
> work. As soon as I type any character in the box it says "No items
> match your search."
>
> I can ping the XP machine from a command window on the vista machine.
>
> If I do DIR \\COMPUTERNAME\PRINT$ at the command prompt the directory
> on the XP machine is listed.
>
> I can see the Vista machine in Explorer on the XP machine.
>
> What must I do to allow Vista to see the other computers on the
> network??? Thanks.
>
> --
> .Bill.

Locate the Network Icon in the lower right corner. It looks like 2
computer. Double Click, then click on connect to a network which
should take you to the Network Center and with a little luck allow you
set find your other networked computers.
Dominic Payer

Re: Vista cannot see XP computers on network
If your XP machines are not at SP3, you should install the LLTD Responder on
them

"Bill" <no@no.com> wrote in message
>I am very new to Vista. I have a small home network. The three XP
> machines on the network use static IP addresses. One of the XP machines
> shares a printer. When I open Windows Explorer and click on Network the
> only computer listed is the Vista Business machine.
>
> I cannot find any way to search for a computer by entering the computer
> name or IP address as I can in Explorer on XP. I have no idea what the
> search box in the upper right corner is supposed to do but it does not
> work. As soon as I type any character in the box it says "No items
> match your search."
>
> I can ping the XP machine from a command window on the vista machine.
>
> If I do DIR \\COMPUTERNAME\PRINT$ at the command prompt the directory
> on the XP machine is listed.
>
> I can see the Vista machine in Explorer on the XP machine.
>
> What must I do to allow Vista to see the other computers on the
> network??? Thanks.
>
> --
> .Bill.

Bill

Re: Vista cannot see XP computers on network
The does not work. I still cannot see the XP computers.

--
..Bill.
Bill

Re: Vista cannot see XP computers on network
All of the XP computers are SP3.

--
..Bill.
Mick Murphy

Re: Vista cannot see XP computers on network
Below is how I network XP and Vista.
1st:Workgroup names MUST be the same!

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Bill" wrote:

> All of the XP computers are SP3.
>
> --
> ..Bill.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista cannot see XP computers on network
Try installing the link layer topology discovery (responder) software on the
XP machines.
If you still cannot see the XP machines from the Vista machine then you may
want to use the microsoft.public.windows.vista.network_sharing newsgroup to
drill down into the problem. Not that you shouldn't use this one too, but
the networking gurus are in the other group.