Vista Max RAM

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Hasan

Vista Max RAM
As the subject says, what's that max RAM that can be installed in any
version?
Short and sweet
Thanks.

Hasan

Mark Rae

Re: Vista Max RAM
"Hasan" <hasan at uh dot com dot au> wrote in message

> As the subject says, what's that max RAM that can be installed in any
> version?

Being pedantic for a second, the maximum RAM that can be installed has
nothing whatever to do operating systems - it is determined by the number of
RAM slots in the machine's motherboard, and the maximum size of the RAM
chips that each slot supports.

That said, the various versions of Vista *support* various amounts of RAM,
as follows:

Starter 256Mb
Home Basic 8Gb
Home Premium 16Gb
Business 128Gb
Enterprise 128Gb
Ultimate 128Gb

If you have a copy of Business, Enterprise or Ultimate, best of luck finding
a machine which will allow you to install 128Gb RAM... :-)

Tom Porterfield

Re: Vista Max RAM
"Hasan" <hasan at uh dot com dot au> wrote in message
> As the subject says, what's that max RAM that can be installed in any
> version?
> Short and sweet

For all 32 bit versions of Vista, the maximum amount of RAM supported is 4
GB. For the 64 bit versions, it depends on which version.

Home Basic - 8 GB
Home Premium - 16 GB
Business, Enterprise and Ultimate - 128+ GB
--
Tom Porterfield

Hasan

Re: Vista Max RAM
Thanks for the info.
I have a client who is a bit anal about wanting a minimum of 8GB of RAM for
his occasionally used home PC. He's got $$ to burn.
He also wants to upgrade to Vista as soon as it's released.

"Mark Rae" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.com> wrote in message
> "Hasan" <hasan at uh dot com dot au> wrote in message
>
>> As the subject says, what's that max RAM that can be installed in any
>> version?

> Being pedantic for a second, the maximum RAM that can be installed has
> nothing whatever to do operating systems - it is determined by the number
> of RAM slots in the machine's motherboard, and the maximum size of the RAM
> chips that each slot supports.
>
> That said, the various versions of Vista *support* various amounts of RAM,
> as follows:
>
> Starter 256Mb
> Home Basic 8Gb
> Home Premium 16Gb
> Business 128Gb
> Enterprise 128Gb
> Ultimate 128Gb
>
> If you have a copy of Business, Enterprise or Ultimate, best of luck
> finding a machine which will allow you to install 128Gb RAM... :-)

NewFox

Re: Vista Max RAM
Warning 4 GB Limit with 32 bit versions of vista..
and even if you have 4, only 3 of those can be ulitized from the OS

> Thanks for the info.
> I have a client who is a bit anal about wanting a minimum of 8GB of RAM
> for his occasionally used home PC. He's got $$ to burn.
> He also wants to upgrade to Vista as soon as it's released.
>

> "Mark Rae" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.com> wrote in message
>> "Hasan" <hasan at uh dot com dot au> wrote in message
>>
>>> As the subject says, what's that max RAM that can be installed in any
>>> version?

>> Being pedantic for a second, the maximum RAM that can be installed has
>> nothing whatever to do operating systems - it is determined by the number
>> of RAM slots in the machine's motherboard, and the maximum size of the
>> RAM chips that each slot supports.
>>
>> That said, the various versions of Vista *support* various amounts of
>> RAM, as follows:
>>
>> Starter 256Mb
>> Home Basic 8Gb
>> Home Premium 16Gb
>> Business 128Gb
>> Enterprise 128Gb
>> Ultimate 128Gb
>>
>> If you have a copy of Business, Enterprise or Ultimate, best of luck
>> finding a machine which will allow you to install 128Gb RAM... :-)

Mike

Re: Vista Max RAM
"Mark Rae" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.com> wrote in message
> That said, the various versions of Vista *support* various amounts of RAM,
> as follows:
>
> Home Basic 8Gb
> Home Premium 16Gb
> Business 128Gb
> Enterprise 128Gb
> Ultimate 128Gb

Only the 64 bit versions support that much. 32 bit versions all support
only 4 Gb. This is the mathematical limit of 32 bits, not an OS
restriction.

Mike

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista Max RAM
64 Bit editions of Vista support the most amount of RAM. If you are looking
at a 32 Bit machine, then the maximum is 4GB

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Hasan" <hasan at uh dot com dot au> wrote in message
> As the subject says, what's that max RAM that can be installed in any
> version?
> Short and sweet
> Thanks.
>
> Hasan

JM Tella Llop [MVP Windows]

Re: Vista Max RAM
>not an OS restriction.

Is an OS restriction.

Limit: 64 GB (use 36 bits for directions: 32 + 4 -PAE-). But in XP+SP2 or
Vista 32, PAE in restricted and not reallocated memory after 4 GB. Real
limit is 2.5, 3, 3.25... etc... depending of resources necessaries of MB.
(for driver compatibility mode)

--
Jose Manuel Tella Llop
MVP - Windows

Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase,y no
otorga ningún derecho.

You assume all risk for your use.

"Mike" <no@where.man> wrote in message
> "Mark Rae" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.com> wrote in message
>> That said, the various versions of Vista *support* various amounts of
>> RAM, as follows:
>>
>> Home Basic 8Gb
>> Home Premium 16Gb
>> Business 128Gb
>> Enterprise 128Gb
>> Ultimate 128Gb

> Only the 64 bit versions support that much. 32 bit versions all support
> only 4 Gb. This is the mathematical limit of 32 bits, not an OS
> restriction.
>
> Mike

Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]

Re: Vista Max RAM
4 GB, with the /PAE switch in boot.ini, only 3 without it

--
--Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - IIS, Virtual PC]
http://www.visualwin.com - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step

"NewFox" <-> wrote in message news:eax8n9pIHHA.1468@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Warning 4 GB Limit with 32 bit versions of vista..
> and even if you have 4, only 3 of those can be ulitized from the OS
>

> "Hasan" <hasan at uh dot com dot au> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the info.
>> I have a client who is a bit anal about wanting a minimum of 8GB of RAM
>> for his occasionally used home PC. He's got $$ to burn.
>> He also wants to upgrade to Vista as soon as it's released.
>>

>> "Mark Rae" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.com> wrote in message
>>> "Hasan" <hasan at uh dot com dot au> wrote in message

>>> Being pedantic for a second, the maximum RAM that can be installed has
>>> nothing whatever to do operating systems - it is determined by the
>>> number of RAM slots in the machine's motherboard, and the maximum size
>>> of the RAM chips that each slot supports.
>>>
>>> That said, the various versions of Vista *support* various amounts of
>>> RAM, as follows:
>>>
>>> Starter 256Mb
>>> Home Basic 8Gb
>>> Home Premium 16Gb
>>> Business 128Gb
>>> Enterprise 128Gb
>>> Ultimate 128Gb
>>>
>>> If you have a copy of Business, Enterprise or Ultimate, best of luck
>>> finding a machine which will allow you to install 128Gb RAM... :-)

NewFox

Re: Vista Max RAM
can you explain this in detail or provide a link with more information on
this?

thank you