Vista & Powertoys

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Alan Clegg

Vista & Powertoys
Hi,

Have Microsoft produced any PowerToys for Vista - specifically Vista 64 bit?
I found the Image resizer for XP particularly useful and would like
something similar.

Regards

AlanC

Dustin Harper

Re: Vista & Powertoys
Not yet, and there is no news of any yet. But, for resizing, you can check
out VSO's image resizer. http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Alan Clegg" <alclegg@removethis.onetel.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Have Microsoft produced any PowerToys for Vista - specifically Vista 64
> bit? I found the Image resizer for XP particularly useful and would like
> something similar.
>
> Regards
>
> AlanC

Kristan Kenney

Re: Vista & Powertoys
No, Microsoft have not created any PowerToys for Windows Vista as of yet --
however, I recommend you keep an eye out on the shell:revealed blog,
http://www.shellrevealed.com.

Have a great day,

--
Kristan M. Kenney
http://www.canucky.net/

"Alan Clegg" <alclegg@removethis.onetel.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Have Microsoft produced any PowerToys for Vista - specifically Vista 64
> bit? I found the Image resizer for XP particularly useful and would like
> something similar.
>
> Regards
>
> AlanC

kirk jim

Re: Vista & Powertoys
I posted this in this newsgroup earlier today!
---

http://tinyurl.com/2efpck

Microsoft has a long tradition of releasing power toys for Windows. These
are invariably unsupported (although the batch written for Windows XP were
pretty polished) and generally pretty darn useful.

Power toys tend to come out when you least expect them, often starting out
as a hobby project for a Microsoft programmer (Raymond Chen, author of the
original Tweak UI, would be the first member of my Windows Hall of Fame). I
suspect it takes some pushing to get Microsoft's semi-official blessing and
be released as unsupported code, so we might not see them until after SP1.

So, dear 'Softies, on the off chance that you or someone you know is working
on Vista's Tweak UI and other would-be power toys, here are some ideas,
absolutely free (and worth every penny). If you've seen some Microsoft
utilities floating around that deserve wider mention, post them in the
Talkback section. And if you've got a favorite tweak you'd like to see in a
power toy, add your suggestions to the list here.

Here's what I want to see in Vista Power Toys:
1. Search Toy. Give me a stripped-down search tool where I can set some
criteria in a small dialog box and get results like the ones that appear on
the Start menu when you use the Search box. You could start with Brandon
Paddock's Start++ and not go wrong.

2. Save My Settings. Let me save the settings for any individual program
installed on my Vista PC. If I have program A, B, and C on my system, I'd
like to save all the personalization information I've saved in the registry
and in various settings files and templates. I would love a snapshot of my
settings for Snag-It or BlogJet or Clear Context IMS Professional or
ClipMate or RoboForm or OneNote or any of the other programs I can't live
without and install on any new system as soon as possible. The Windows Easy
Transfer wizard does some of this, but I want a quicker version that will
work with one or two programs at a time instead of my entire system.

3. Move Public Folders. Currently, you have to hack the registry to change
the location of the Public folders to a drive other than the system drive.
I'd
like to be able to move these files with a couple Tweak UI clicks.

4. A point-and-click interface for RoboCopy. What? You haven't heard of the
Robust File Copy Utility, Robocopy.exe? It's a command-line power user's
copy command, introduced in the Windows 2003 Resource Kit Tools and
installed in the WindowsSystem32 folder in all editions of Windows Vista.
Microsoft's Derk Benisch has already produced Robocopy GUI. It deserves a
wider audience.

OK, those are my suggestions. So what would you add to this list?

source: blogs.zdnet.com