Disk Management just freezes on me!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?aW1hY2tlbg==?=

Disk Management just freezes on me!
I need to change my drive letters, but whenever I go to Disk Management in
Computer Management I just get a 'Loading Disk Configuration ...' message
that sits there for ever!
Any ideas?
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Disk Management just freezes on me!
If you have external usb drives disconnect them and try again. If that
resolves it, then reattach the external drives and see if the problem
returns.

"imacken" <imacken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to change my drive letters, but whenever I go to Disk Management in
> Computer Management I just get a 'Loading Disk Configuration ...' message
> that sits there for ever!
> Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?aW1hY2tlbg==?=

Re: Disk Management just freezes on me!
Colin. Thanks for the suggestion but that made no difference. I disconnected
all my external drives only leaving my 3 HDDs and 2 CDs.
Still the same. Occaionally the message hangs on 'Connecting to Virtual Disk
Service'.
Any more thoughts?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> If you have external usb drives disconnect them and try again. If that
> resolves it, then reattach the external drives and see if the problem
> returns.
>
> "imacken" <imacken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to change my drive letters, but whenever I go to Disk Management in
> > Computer Management I just get a 'Loading Disk Configuration ...' message
> > that sits there for ever!
> > Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?aW1hY2tlbg==?=

Re: Disk Management just freezes on me!
In fact, the situation is worse than I thought.
It's not just 'Disk Management' that just hangs, I can't do a format or a
chkdsk or anything on any of my drives - including the flash drives.
I've removed everything except my system drive, but even then it's the same.
Any suggestions?

"imacken" wrote:

> Colin. Thanks for the suggestion but that made no difference. I disconnected
> all my external drives only leaving my 3 HDDs and 2 CDs.
> Still the same. Occaionally the message hangs on 'Connecting to Virtual Disk
> Service'.
> Any more thoughts?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
> > If you have external usb drives disconnect them and try again. If that
> > resolves it, then reattach the external drives and see if the problem
> > returns.
> >
> > "imacken" <imacken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I need to change my drive letters, but whenever I go to Disk Management in
> > > Computer Management I just get a 'Loading Disk Configuration ...' message
> > > that sits there for ever!
> > > Any ideas?

MICHAEL

Re: Disk Management just freezes on me!
Might be time for a system restore or Windows Repair.

-Michael

"imacken" <imacken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsE478EA7-99A7-4A32-8AE5-A06D402A8EB7@microsoft.com...
> In fact, the situation is worse than I thought.
> It's not just 'Disk Management' that just hangs, I can't do a format or a
> chkdsk or anything on any of my drives - including the flash drives.
> I've removed everything except my system drive, but even then it's the same.
> Any suggestions?
>
> "imacken" wrote:
>
>> Colin. Thanks for the suggestion but that made no difference. I disconnected
>> all my external drives only leaving my 3 HDDs and 2 CDs.
>> Still the same. Occaionally the message hangs on 'Connecting to Virtual Disk
>> Service'.
>> Any more thoughts?
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>>
>> > If you have external usb drives disconnect them and try again. If that
>> > resolves it, then reattach the external drives and see if the problem
>> > returns.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Disk Management just freezes on me!
Given the other problems, system restore probably won't work either, except
by booting with the dvd and running it that way.

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Might be time for a system restore or Windows Repair.
>

> -Michael
>
> "imacken" <imacken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsE478EA7-99A7-4A32-8AE5-A06D402A8EB7@microsoft.com...
>> In fact, the situation is worse than I thought.
>> It's not just 'Disk Management' that just hangs, I can't do a format or a
>> chkdsk or anything on any of my drives - including the flash drives.
>> I've removed everything except my system drive, but even then it's the
>> same.
>> Any suggestions?

MICHAEL

Re: Disk Management just freezes on me!
Good point.

-Michael

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> Given the other problems, system restore probably won't work either, except by booting with
> the dvd and running it that way.
>
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> Might be time for a system restore or Windows Repair.
>>

>> -Michael
>>
>> "imacken" <imacken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsE478EA7-99A7-4A32-8AE5-A06D402A8EB7@microsoft.com...
>>> In fact, the situation is worse than I thought.
>>> It's not just 'Disk Management' that just hangs, I can't do a format or a
>>> chkdsk or anything on any of my drives - including the flash drives.
>>> I've removed everything except my system drive, but even then it's the same.
>>> Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?aW1hY2tlbg==?=

Re: Disk Management just freezes on me!
OK guys, thanks for your help. Neither a restore from DVD or a repair or
anything worked. I had to do a complete reinstall.
Everything is OK now.