Vista boot black screen with cursor

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

rhino79

Vista boot black screen with cursor
I have vista home w/sp1 installed & 3 gigs of memory.When i restart or power
up the pc, there is a black screen with the cursor for 10-15 secs, then the
logo and desktop. is there a system setting anywhere for this long pause? i
have disable everything i could possible except system stuff. Thanks!
Godzilla

Re: Vista boot black screen with cursor

I have the exact same problem. BUT this is what i've found to be the
issue.

Good ol' Microsoft updates. It was one of the first ones I did from a
fresh install.

In fact when I install Vista FRESH it runs so amazingly fast and smooth
its unbelievable. After 1 or 2 so called "important updates" it reverts
to this form of giving BSODs, and yes I even had a Red Screen Of Death
as well as a 10-15 seconds extra of boot time (where half the time it
hangs). And to those of you that will say its a hardware issue let me be
clear on this. I have run memtest for 4 passes. My ram is fine. I can
get into windows and basically run error free for the most part (except
internet explorer, but thats not a suprise either...thanks again
microsoft) Crysis runs perfect on full Gamer / Enthusiast settings,
Fallout 3 too....in fact all of my games run fine, once im in Vista.

The boot time is just ridiculous....waiting an extra 10-15 seconds
because Microsoft doesn't know how to hire competent programmers is
astounding.

I will probably do this.....just reinstall Vista, and then install each
of the updates 1 at a time until I find the culprit that is doing more
damage than good.

My system specs are as follows:

CPU - Q6600 oc'd to 2.7ghz (until my Vendetta 2 arrives)
Ram - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 (4 x 2gb sticks) stock FSB
& V & CL4 timings
MB - Evga 780i SLI
Vid Card - BFG GTX 260 core 216
HD - Seagate 7200.11 500gb SATA II

So again, what does everyone have to say about installing Vista and
then just ignoring the "Security & Important" updates? Yeah i know that
sounds ludicrous....but this just seems like the old saying "If it ain't
broke, don't fix it, especially if Microsoft insists that you do."

--
Godzilla
monstamonk

Re: Vista boot black screen with cursor

The HP Website has the following support article:

'_HP_Notebook_PCs_-_*Black_Screen*_Appears_for_2_Minutes_after_Welcom e_*Screen*_Displays_-_c01271669__'
(http://search.hp.com/redirect.html?t...002_USEN&pos=1)
_[image: http://welcome.hp-ww.com/img/s.gif]_
This document describes what to do if the notebook
display shows *black screen* for a prolonged period of time after the
welcome *screen* displays.

See:
'_http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01271669&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jump id=reg_R1002_USEN_'
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...reg_R1002_USEN)

In short, it says to update the Recovery Manager program. Did it.
Didn't work.

I then came across a posting that stated that the same problem had been
fixed by removing a special character from the computer name. The Costco
Concierge techs who re-installed the OS on my machine last week gave it
the name "Owner-PC" and I hadn't bothered to rename it yet. I thought it
was a long shot that renaming my machine would fix the 90+ second black
screen between the Welcome page and Desktop, but it worked. I gave my
machine a name with no spaces or special characters and the "fix" seems
to be permanent.

--
monstamonk