System / Application sounds not working

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Mike from OZ

System / Application sounds not working
I have just noticed that all application / system soudns are not working. The
speakers work fine as I can play all sounds using WMP. When I check SOUND
devices is show Speakers as my default device and I can test them fine - I
hear the chimes. I can play movies etc and everthin is OK

The problem is that system / application sounds do not work. I use CP and
select SOUNDS and then try and play one of the system/application sounds and
nothing happens. I can play the associated WAV file with WMP its just that
all system / application sounds have stopped working - including inline
videos on IE

Speakers are Realtek High Definition Audio - on board sound.
Mike from OZ

RE: System / Application sounds not working
Oh and before anybody suggests it - YES I have also updated the drivers and
stil the same result

"Mike from OZ" wrote:

> I have just noticed that all application / system soudns are not working. The
> speakers work fine as I can play all sounds using WMP. When I check SOUND
> devices is show Speakers as my default device and I can test them fine - I
> hear the chimes. I can play movies etc and everthin is OK
>
> The problem is that system / application sounds do not work. I use CP and
> select SOUNDS and then try and play one of the system/application sounds and
> nothing happens. I can play the associated WAV file with WMP its just that
> all system / application sounds have stopped working - including inline
> videos on IE
>
> Speakers are Realtek High Definition Audio - on board sound.

Mark L. Ferguson

Re: System / Application sounds not working
The Ease Of Access app has a 'make visual alternatives for sounds' that
could do that.

--
click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm see ''rate a post''

"Mike from OZ" <MikefromOZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oh and before anybody suggests it - YES I have also updated the drivers
> and
> stil the same result
>
> "Mike from OZ" wrote:
>
>> I have just noticed that all application / system soudns are not working.
>> The
>> speakers work fine as I can play all sounds using WMP. When I check SOUND
>> devices is show Speakers as my default device and I can test them fine -
>> hear the chimes. I can play movies etc and everthin is OK
>>
>> The problem is that system / application sounds do not work. I use CP and
>> select SOUNDS and then try and play one of the system/application sounds
>> and
>> nothing happens. I can play the associated WAV file with WMP its just
>> that
>> all system / application sounds have stopped working - including inline
>> videos on IE
>>
>> Speakers are Realtek High Definition Audio - on board sound.

Mike from OZ

Re: System / Application sounds not working
Mark

I checked that option and it has not been enabled. It still sounds like the
software used by Vista to make the sound (?? SNDREC32 or similar) is not
working

Mike