32-bit and 64-bit distinctions with Vista Home Basic

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Louis126

32-bit and 64-bit distinctions with Vista Home Basic
Hello All,

I am new to this Community. I have a question for you, and hope that someone
will know the answer. I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place
here. Please let me know if I need to post it elsewhere within this community.

I am confused. I recently purchased a brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop
(from a very well known retail vendor). I have Windows Vista Basic running on
it. For reasons I won't go into right now (but perhaps in a later post after
this), you might say I was forced into doing a little research on my laptop
in order to determine whether it is a 32 or 64 bit operating system. Well I
found out that my version of Windows Vista Home Basic is 32-bit. However, I
am also aware that it is available in a 64-bit version. I also found out that
there is such as thing as Windows Vista Starter Edition, which supposedly is
the ONLY version of Vista which is NOT 64 bit. If this is true, then why does
my System Information tell me that I am running a 32 bit version of Vista
Home Basic edition? I do not understand this.

Let me clarify something very quickly here. I am a Computer Networking major
at the present time. I do not need someone to speak to me in terms which only
someone who doesn't know who to turn on a computer would understand. Please
give me a little credit along these lines when you respond to my question.

Lastly, let me also clarify one last thing (hopefully). If there is such as
thing as a 64 bit version of Vista Home Basic, then why does my laptop only
have the 32 bit version? Is this because I have the "starter" edition, and in
order for me to get the better one I would need to actually PAY to upgrade?
But why in the world would I need to actually have to PAY in oder to get
nothing more than yet a DIFFERENT edition of the exact same OS that I am
already running on this laptop of mine? To me, either Windows or Toshiba
would have made this a whole lot easier to understand if they would simply
have made a DISTINCTION between Vista Starter edition and Vista Home Basic.

If anyone knows what I am talking about, please offer any help that you can.

Thanks!
Nonny

Re: 32-bit and 64-bit distinctions with Vista Home Basic
On Sat, 24 May 2008 20:21:00 -0700, Louis126
<Louis126@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I am new to this Community. I have a question for you, and hope that someone
>will know the answer. I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place
>here. Please let me know if I need to post it elsewhere within this community.
>
>I am confused. I recently purchased a brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop
>(from a very well known retail vendor). I have Windows Vista Basic running on
>it. For reasons I won't go into right now (but perhaps in a later post after
>this), you might say I was forced into doing a little research on my laptop
>in order to determine whether it is a 32 or 64 bit operating system. Well I
>found out that my version of Windows Vista Home Basic is 32-bit. However, I
>am also aware that it is available in a 64-bit version. I also found out that
>there is such as thing as Windows Vista Starter Edition, which supposedly is
>the ONLY version of Vista which is NOT 64 bit. If this is true, then why does
>my System Information tell me that I am running a 32 bit version of Vista
>Home Basic edition? I do not understand this.

Starter edition is not for "developed" countries. It is a special
edition for dumbed-down computers. Your system is telling you that
your edition of Home Basic is 32-bit because it is.

Simple.

>Let me clarify something very quickly here. I am a Computer Networking major
>at the present time. I do not need someone to speak to me in terms which only
>someone who doesn't know who to turn on a computer would understand. Please
>give me a little credit along these lines when you respond to my question.
>
>Lastly, let me also clarify one last thing (hopefully). If there is such as
>thing as a 64 bit version of Vista Home Basic, then why does my laptop only
>have the 32 bit version?

Because that's the configuration that you purchased.

Simple.

Louis126

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2008 20:21:00 -0700, Louis126
> <Louis126@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello All,
> >
> >I am new to this Community. I have a question for you, and hope that someone
> >will know the answer. I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place
> >here. Please let me know if I need to post it elsewhere within this community.
> >
> >I am confused. I recently purchased a brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop
> >(from a very well known retail vendor). I have Windows Vista Basic running on
> >it. For reasons I won't go into right now (but perhaps in a later post after
> >this), you might say I was forced into doing a little research on my laptop
> >in order to determine whether it is a 32 or 64 bit operating system. Well I
> >found out that my version of Windows Vista Home Basic is 32-bit. However, I
> >am also aware that it is available in a 64-bit version. I also found out that
> >there is such as thing as Windows Vista Starter Edition, which supposedly is
> >the ONLY version of Vista which is NOT 64 bit. If this is true, then why does
> >my System Information tell me that I am running a 32 bit version of Vista
> >Home Basic edition? I do not understand this.

> Starter edition is not for "developed" countries. It is a special
> edition for dumbed-down computers. Your system is telling you that
> your edition of Home Basic is 32-bit because it is.
>
> Simple.
>

> >Let me clarify something very quickly here. I am a Computer Networking major
> >at the present time. I do not need someone to speak to me in terms which only
> >someone who doesn't know who to turn on a computer would understand. Please
> >give me a little credit along these lines when you respond to my question.
> >
> >Lastly, let me also clarify one last thing (hopefully). If there is such as
> >thing as a 64 bit version of Vista Home Basic, then why does my laptop only
> >have the 32 bit version?

> Because that's the configuration that you purchased.
>
> Simple.
>

> OK. But according to this "logic", since when did the USA become an underdeveloped country?

Nonny

Re: 32-bit and 64-bit distinctions with Vista Home Basic
On Sat, 24 May 2008 20:47:00 -0700, Louis126
<Louis126@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Nonny" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 May 2008 20:21:00 -0700, Louis126
>> <Louis126@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello All,
>> >
>> >I am new to this Community. I have a question for you, and hope that someone
>> >will know the answer. I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place
>> >here. Please let me know if I need to post it elsewhere within this community.
>> >
>> >I am confused. I recently purchased a brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop
>> >(from a very well known retail vendor). I have Windows Vista Basic running on
>> >it. For reasons I won't go into right now (but perhaps in a later post after
>> >this), you might say I was forced into doing a little research on my laptop
>> >in order to determine whether it is a 32 or 64 bit operating system. Well I
>> >found out that my version of Windows Vista Home Basic is 32-bit. However, I
>> >am also aware that it is available in a 64-bit version. I also found out that
>> >there is such as thing as Windows Vista Starter Edition, which supposedly is
>> >the ONLY version of Vista which is NOT 64 bit. If this is true, then why does
>> >my System Information tell me that I am running a 32 bit version of Vista
>> >Home Basic edition? I do not understand this.

>> Starter edition is not for "developed" countries. It is a special
>> edition for dumbed-down computers. Your system is telling you that
>> your edition of Home Basic is 32-bit because it is.
>>
>> Simple.
>>

>> >Let me clarify something very quickly here. I am a Computer Networking major
>> >at the present time. I do not need someone to speak to me in terms which only
>> >someone who doesn't know who to turn on a computer would understand. Please
>> >give me a little credit along these lines when you respond to my question.
>> >
>> >Lastly, let me also clarify one last thing (hopefully). If there is such as
>> >thing as a 64 bit version of Vista Home Basic, then why does my laptop only
>> >have the 32 bit version?

>> Because that's the configuration that you purchased.
>>
>> Simple.
>>

> OK. But according to this "logic", since when did the USA become an underdeveloped country?

Can't you read? Starter Edition is NOT for "developed" countries.
Louis126

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2008 20:47:00 -0700, Louis126
> <Louis126@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >"Nonny" wrote:

> >> Starter edition is not for "developed" countries. It is a special
> >> edition for dumbed-down computers. Your system is telling you that
> >> your edition of Home Basic is 32-bit because it is.
> >>
> >> Simple.

> >> Because that's the configuration that you purchased.
> >>
> >> Simple.
> >>

> > OK. But according to this "logic", since when did the USA become an underdeveloped country?

> Can't you read? Starter Edition is NOT for "developed" countries

The problem here has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to read. But I
am beginning to seriously wonder if it might be due to the fact that you
neither know how to read nor comprehend. So, I will pose my question to you
one more time, and perhaps this time you will see some ray of light. Since
when did the USA become an underdeveloped country?

I didn't purchase my laptop in Mozambique. I purchased it in the USA.
Therefore, if Starter Edition was created for underdeveloped nations, then I
should NOT have acquired that edition when I purchased a laptop in the United
States of American. Period.
Telstar

Re: 32-bit and 64-bit distinctions with Vista Home Basic
You do not get both versions 32 and 64 bit versions. Vista Home Basic 32
bit is commonly installed on laptops. NOT 64 bit. Is this difficult to
fathom?

Louis126

"Telstar" wrote:

> You do not get both versions 32 and 64 bit versions. Vista Home Basic 32
> bit is commonly installed on laptops. NOT 64 bit. Is this difficult to
> fathom?
>

> No, not at all. Thanks for clearing it up. The bottom line obviously is that you have to upgrade to get the good stuff, the better version.

Thanks for clarifying this.
kevpan815

RE: 32-bit and 64-bit distinctions with Vista Home Basic
X64 Is The Best (If You Can Get It 2 Work With Your System), Just FYI.

"Louis126" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am new to this Community. I have a question for you, and hope that someone
> will know the answer. I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place
> here. Please let me know if I need to post it elsewhere within this community.
>
> I am confused. I recently purchased a brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop
> (from a very well known retail vendor). I have Windows Vista Basic running on
> it. For reasons I won't go into right now (but perhaps in a later post after
> this), you might say I was forced into doing a little research on my laptop
> in order to determine whether it is a 32 or 64 bit operating system. Well I
> found out that my version of Windows Vista Home Basic is 32-bit. However, I
> am also aware that it is available in a 64-bit version. I also found out that
> there is such as thing as Windows Vista Starter Edition, which supposedly is
> the ONLY version of Vista which is NOT 64 bit. If this is true, then why does
> my System Information tell me that I am running a 32 bit version of Vista
> Home Basic edition? I do not understand this.
>
> Let me clarify something very quickly here. I am a Computer Networking major
> at the present time. I do not need someone to speak to me in terms which only
> someone who doesn't know who to turn on a computer would understand. Please
> give me a little credit along these lines when you respond to my question.
>
> Lastly, let me also clarify one last thing (hopefully). If there is such as
> thing as a 64 bit version of Vista Home Basic, then why does my laptop only
> have the 32 bit version? Is this because I have the "starter" edition, and in
> order for me to get the better one I would need to actually PAY to upgrade?
> But why in the world would I need to actually have to PAY in oder to get
> nothing more than yet a DIFFERENT edition of the exact same OS that I am
> already running on this laptop of mine? To me, either Windows or Toshiba
> would have made this a whole lot easier to understand if they would simply
> have made a DISTINCTION between Vista Starter edition and Vista Home Basic.
>
> If anyone knows what I am talking about, please offer any help that you can.
>
> Thanks!

Mick Murphy

Re: 32-bit and 64-bit distinctions with Vista Home Basic
All pre-installed OEM versions of vista come in 32bit, unless YOU specifially
ask for 64bit.
If you have a Retail version of 32bit, you can get 64bit disk from MS for
cost of shipping.
OEM disks do not have this option.
Buy an OEM 64bit or Retail 64bit copy to change.
And you can NOT upgrade 32 2 64.
Has to be a clean install..
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Louis126" wrote:

> "Telstar" wrote:
>
> > You do not get both versions 32 and 64 bit versions. Vista Home Basic 32
> > bit is commonly installed on laptops. NOT 64 bit. Is this difficult to
> > fathom?
> >

> > No, not at all. Thanks for clearing it up. The bottom line obviously is that you have to upgrade to get the good stuff, the better version.

> Thanks for clarifying this.

Nonny

Re: 32-bit and 64-bit distinctions with Vista Home Basic
On Sat, 24 May 2008 21:30:00 -0700, Louis126
<Louis126@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> Can't you read? Starter Edition is NOT for "developed" countries

>The problem here has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to read. But I
>am beginning to seriously wonder if it might be due to the fact that you
>neither know how to read nor comprehend. So, I will pose my question to you
>one more time, and perhaps this time you will see some ray of light. Since
>when did the USA become an underdeveloped country?
>
>I didn't purchase my laptop in Mozambique. I purchased it in the USA.
>Therefore, if Starter Edition was created for underdeveloped nations, then I
>should NOT have acquired that edition when I purchased a laptop in the United
>States of American. Period.

32-bit is NOT "Starter Edition".

YOU are the one with the reading/comprehension problem.