Vista 100% cpu usage after bootup / windows update

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Robert

Vista 100% cpu usage after bootup / windows update
I have 2 pc's running vista Home premium. As of the morning of 5/7/08, both
of them are having an issue after bootup where cpu usage is near 100% for
about 20-30 minutes. The computers are completely un-usable in this state.
Looking at resource monitor(which takes about 10 minutes to load), both are
showing svchost (netsvcs) PID 1456 at 100%. After this initial 20 to 30
minute lock up session, both computers seem to work fine. After investigating
the issue a bit, it has something to do with windows update. If I go to
control panel windows update, and try to update, the same thing happens.

Not sure if this means anything but both computers have update KB940510
under the windows update control panel console, dated 5/7/2008. From
researchign this update it is something to do with windows validation. Both
PC's have OEM installs of vista, so I dont 'think' the validation is the
issue.
I know this isnt a hardware issue as one of the pc's is a HP laptop, the
other is a Dell xps desktop.
Both computers have had 0 issues before the morning of the 7th, and both
have AV software and have had no signs of a virus.
I have not installed anything on either of the computers lately. Neither
share much of the same software beside antiviurs. (CA AV 2008)
My xp and windows 2000 machines are working fine.

Any help would be much appreciated. Currently, disabling windows update
seems to solve the issue but this is not a long term solution, IMO.

Thanks
8n20_C#

Re: Vista 100% cpu usage after bootup / windows update
"Robert" ha scritto:
> I have 2 pc's running vista Home premium. As of the morning of 5/7/08,
> both
> of them are having an issue after bootup where cpu usage is near 100% for
> about 20-30 minutes. The computers are completely un-usable in this state.
> Looking at resource monitor(which takes about 10 minutes to load), both
> are
> showing svchost (netsvcs) PID 1456 at 100%. After this initial 20 to 30
> minute lock up session, both computers seem to work fine. After
> investigating
> the issue a bit, it has something to do with windows update. If I go to
> control panel windows update, and try to update, the same thing happens.

Incredible!!! I have found a person who has the same problem i have had with
XP since two years!!!

Yes, it depends on WU, but i've never understood why.
The workaround i found is to download Process Explorer, put it on
automatic startup, and when Windows starts select the svchost instance,
right click on it, and choose "idle priority".

This way, even if it uses all your CPU resource, your PC will respond to
your commands and to the other applications.

Bye!

Canuck57

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 pc's running vista Home premium. As of the morning of 5/7/08, both
> of them are having an issue after bootup where cpu usage is near 100% for
> about 20-30 minutes. The computers are completely un-usable in this state.
> Looking at resource monitor(which takes about 10 minutes to load), both
> are
> showing svchost (netsvcs) PID 1456 at 100%. After this initial 20 to 30
> minute lock up session, both computers seem to work fine. After
> investigating
> the issue a bit, it has something to do with windows update. If I go to
> control panel windows update, and try to update, the same thing happens.
>
> Not sure if this means anything but both computers have update KB940510
> under the windows update control panel console, dated 5/7/2008. From
> researchign this update it is something to do with windows validation.
> Both
> PC's have OEM installs of vista, so I dont 'think' the validation is the
> issue.
> I know this isnt a hardware issue as one of the pc's is a HP laptop, the
> other is a Dell xps desktop.
> Both computers have had 0 issues before the morning of the 7th, and both
> have AV software and have had no signs of a virus.
> I have not installed anything on either of the computers lately. Neither
> share much of the same software beside antiviurs. (CA AV 2008)
> My xp and windows 2000 machines are working fine.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. Currently, disabling windows update
> seems to solve the issue but this is not a long term solution, IMO.
>
> Thanks

Could be an update?

Me, I turn off automatic update and let everyone else test it first.

Which you could do. Disable auto update, then remove any recent patches
applied and see if they return to normal. And when patches are applied or
removed, I always reboot even if it isn't needed.

Robert

"Canuck57" wrote:

> Could be an update?
>
> Me, I turn off automatic update and let everyone else test it first.
>
> Which you could do. Disable auto update, then remove any recent patches
> applied and see if they return to normal. And when patches are applied or
> removed, I always reboot even if it isn't needed.

As I mentioned in the OP, I disabled Windows Update and I am not having the
issue. I would like a fix for the problem though as not using windows update
is not a long term solution.

Rich Bunevitch

Re: Vista 100% cpu usage after bootup / windows update
On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:27:01 -0700, Robert
<Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have 2 pc's running vista Home premium. As of the morning of 5/7/08, both
>of them are having an issue after bootup where cpu usage is near 100% for
>about 20-30 minutes. The computers are completely un-usable in this state.
>Looking at resource monitor(which takes about 10 minutes to load), both are
>showing svchost (netsvcs) PID 1456 at 100%. After this initial 20 to 30
>minute lock up session, both computers seem to work fine. After investigating
>the issue a bit, it has something to do with windows update. If I go to
>control panel windows update, and try to update, the same thing happens.
>
>Not sure if this means anything but both computers have update KB940510
>under the windows update control panel console, dated 5/7/2008. From
>researchign this update it is something to do with windows validation. Both
>PC's have OEM installs of vista, so I dont 'think' the validation is the
>issue.
>I know this isnt a hardware issue as one of the pc's is a HP laptop, the
>other is a Dell xps desktop.
>Both computers have had 0 issues before the morning of the 7th, and both
>have AV software and have had no signs of a virus.
>I have not installed anything on either of the computers lately. Neither
>share much of the same software beside antiviurs. (CA AV 2008)
>My xp and windows 2000 machines are working fine.
>
>Any help would be much appreciated. Currently, disabling windows update
>seems to solve the issue but this is not a long term solution, IMO.
>
>Thanks

I'm having a similar problem with by Toshiba laptop with an OEM
install of Windows Vista Home Premium. I turned off Automatic Updates
and this solved the problem. Today, I changed the settings for
Automatic Updates to just notify me of the updates - no download or
install and the problem returned immediately. Fortunately, I was able
to restart the computer in Safe Mode and do a System Restore - since I
could find no way of changing the Automatic Updates setting in Safe
Mode.

I too did a virus scan with CA AntiVirus 2007 and no problems were
detected. I do not have Vista SP1 installed yet.

Location: UK
TechieBird is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspect CA Antivirus...
Rich, thank you so much for mentioning that you ran a virus scan with CA! I also have CA Antivirus, so it got me wondering if that might be the common factor between us all...

Anyway, I snoozed CA AV and magically the processor usage dropped to normal thresholds. And when I thought about it, this problem did start occuring after an AV Engine update the other day. (The version I have right now is 31.4.0)

So I googled for "CA Antivirus" 100% CPU, and found this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...stI D=3335479

So now I have excluded .msi and .msp from the real-time scanner, restarted Windows, and it seems to be working normally now!

Last edited by TechieBird : 05-14-2008 at 10:44.
Ben Law

Re: Vista 100% cpu usage after bootup / windows update
I am having the same problem with two PC's since around the 7th of May also.
Finally I narrowed it down to program conflicts between the latest MS Windows
updates and the CA (TimeWarner subscriber's free internet security suite). As
soon as I disable the CA security suite both PCs, one with XP Pro and the
other with Vista Home Premium all run normally with CPU usage reported as
consistantly below 10% whith higher % only momentarily when I launch a
program or two. CA at this time does not have a patch. Neither MS has any
solution. I only wish the two company are willing to collaborate a bit more
for the good of their customer.

"Canuck57" wrote:

> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 2 pc's running vista Home premium. As of the morning of 5/7/08, both
> > of them are having an issue after bootup where cpu usage is near 100% for
> > about 20-30 minutes. The computers are completely un-usable in this state.
> > Looking at resource monitor(which takes about 10 minutes to load), both
> > are
> > showing svchost (netsvcs) PID 1456 at 100%. After this initial 20 to 30
> > minute lock up session, both computers seem to work fine. After
> > investigating
> > the issue a bit, it has something to do with windows update. If I go to
> > control panel windows update, and try to update, the same thing happens.
> >
> > Not sure if this means anything but both computers have update KB940510
> > under the windows update control panel console, dated 5/7/2008. From
> > researchign this update it is something to do with windows validation.
> > Both
> > PC's have OEM installs of vista, so I dont 'think' the validation is the
> > issue.
> > I know this isnt a hardware issue as one of the pc's is a HP laptop, the
> > other is a Dell xps desktop.
> > Both computers have had 0 issues before the morning of the 7th, and both
> > have AV software and have had no signs of a virus.
> > I have not installed anything on either of the computers lately. Neither
> > share much of the same software beside antiviurs. (CA AV 2008)
> > My xp and windows 2000 machines are working fine.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated. Currently, disabling windows update
> > seems to solve the issue but this is not a long term solution, IMO.
> >
> > Thanks

> Could be an update?
>
> Me, I turn off automatic update and let everyone else test it first.
>
> Which you could do. Disable auto update, then remove any recent patches
> applied and see if they return to normal. And when patches are applied or
> removed, I always reboot even if it isn't needed.

Gordon Bell

RE: Vista 100% cpu usage after bootup / windows update
I've been experiencing 100% CPU usage on Vista for the past week, making my
system almost unusable. I installed SP1 a few weeks ago.

It's the "System & NT Kernel" process.

I dont' have CA, but I uninstalled Kasperksy Internet Suite 7.0 which made
the problem go away temporarily. Now, I'm experiencing it again with no
Anti-Virus installed. Any ideas?

"Robert" wrote:

> I have 2 pc's running vista Home premium. As of the morning of 5/7/08, both
> of them are having an issue after bootup where cpu usage is near 100% for
> about 20-30 minutes. The computers are completely un-usable in this state.
> Looking at resource monitor(which takes about 10 minutes to load), both are
> showing svchost (netsvcs) PID 1456 at 100%. After this initial 20 to 30
> minute lock up session, both computers seem to work fine. After investigating
> the issue a bit, it has something to do with windows update. If I go to
> control panel windows update, and try to update, the same thing happens.
>
> Not sure if this means anything but both computers have update KB940510
> under the windows update control panel console, dated 5/7/2008. From
> researchign this update it is something to do with windows validation. Both
> PC's have OEM installs of vista, so I dont 'think' the validation is the
> issue.
> I know this isnt a hardware issue as one of the pc's is a HP laptop, the
> other is a Dell xps desktop.
> Both computers have had 0 issues before the morning of the 7th, and both
> have AV software and have had no signs of a virus.
> I have not installed anything on either of the computers lately. Neither
> share much of the same software beside antiviurs. (CA AV 2008)
> My xp and windows 2000 machines are working fine.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. Currently, disabling windows update
> seems to solve the issue but this is not a long term solution, IMO.
>
> Thanks

denacho is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
same problem but with internet browsing issue
hi! nice to see someone else has had this same issue and recently. we noticed it on our Vista Home Premium pc this past weekend. it's a Dell that we've had for i guess just over a year. very slow after boot and the CPU is pegged at 100% as well. when i bring up Task Manager i don't really see any process that sticks out. of course they fluctuate during this pegged time. but i think i've seen some of the same things you guys are reporting. in addition to that, and probably due to the high CPU, we can't get on the internet (IE or Firefox). that's actually how we noticed it. i can boot to Safe Mode with Networking and it's fine. we can get to the internet. i went into msconfig and looked at the Services and Processes that were "stopped" and tried to determine if there was some 3rd party app that was causing the slow down in normal boot but it doesn't seem like it. i'm using McAfee Virus Scan (because that's what came with the pc) but i need to renew my trial subscription. at first i thought maybe that had something to do with it but i disabled McAfee and it still pegs in normal boot. i'll try the suggestion for disabling WU but i do believe i have that set to not install and notify me so i can determine if i want to apply them. i'll keep checking back here in the meantime. please keep posting anything new you find.
Mike Hall - MVP

"denacho" <denacho.3cc2gc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> hi! nice to see someone else has had this same issue and recently. we
> noticed it on our Vista Home Premium pc this past weekend. it's a Dell
> that we've had for i guess just over a year. very slow after boot and
> the CPU is pegged at 100% as well. when i bring up Task Manager i don't
> really see any process that sticks out. of course they fluctuate during
> this pegged time. but i think i've seen some of the same things you
> guys are reporting. in addition to that, and probably due to the high
> CPU, we can't get on the internet (IE or Firefox). that's actually how
> we noticed it. i can boot to Safe Mode with Networking and it's fine.
> we can get to the internet. i went into msconfig and looked at the
> Services and Processes that were "stopped" and tried to determine if
> there was some 3rd party app that was causing the slow down in normal
> boot but it doesn't seem like it. i'm using McAfee Virus Scan (because
> that's what came with the pc) but i need to renew my trial subscription.
> at first i thought maybe that had something to do with it but i
> disabled McAfee and it still pegs in normal boot. i'll try the
> suggestion for disabling WU but i do believe i have that set to not
> install and notify me so i can determine if i want to apply them. i'll
> keep checking back here in the meantime. please keep posting anything
> new you find.
>

> --
> denacho

Your computer is probably full of infections and corrupted files.

You may want to take the time to back up all of your important files before
it gets to the point where the computer will not even boot.

When the McAfee trial expired, so did any updates from McAfee, and you have
been running with limited anti-virus protection..

There is some very good info on how to remove spyware etc on this web site..

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/

If some of it is beyond your capability, get local help from a a decent
computer technician (not the big stores) or back up your important stuff and
use the manufacturers 'return to factory state' option.

After doing this, download and run the free version of Avast anti-virus..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..