Connect to Internet at startup?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

David Mayerovitch

Connect to Internet at startup?
I want to connect to my broadband Internet connection automatically whenever
my system starts up.

In XP I did this by creating a shortcut to the connection and placing it in
the startup menu.

However, Vista Home Premium apparently does not allow me to create a
shortcut to an Internet connection. When I right-click on the connection,
the menu offers only Disconnect, Status and Properties. The equivalent menu
in XP included the option to Create Shortcut.

Does anyone know how to launch a connection at startup in Vista? Or is this
another of the simple conveniences that Microsoft has decided to make
impossible?

Thanks.

David

Adam Albright

Re: Connect to Internet at startup?
On Tue, 6 May 2008 12:03:08 -0400, "David Mayerovitch"
<davmay@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I want to connect to my broadband Internet connection automatically whenever
>my system starts up.

Well duh, if it isn't already doing that SOMETHING is wrong. Assumes
you really have a working broadband connection, not a dial-up. If you
do, if things are working correctly you are ALWAYS on and Windows
should start up the connection to the Internet automatically without
you doing anything assuming you gave it a good IP address and have a
modem/router, whatever hardware you need properly configured.

>In XP I did this by creating a shortcut to the connection and placing it in

Go to Control Panel Network sharing, etc..

What do you see?

If things are working as they should you should see a icon that looks
like a PC with the name of your computer, another icon with the name
of your broadband provider and a third icon that simply says Internet
and has a world globe. There should be a green line connected all
three. If not, something wrong.

Underneath, Network discovered should be on. If you don't see this at
startup after you have successfully booted and are in Windows, use the
left pane to help you find out what's not set up correctly.

You should see a little computer icon in the lower right hand corner
of your desktop. That should ALWAYS be there as long as you are
plugged into the Internet. If you lose your connect this will change.
If you don't connect automatically it won't be there or if something
is wrong it will have a X through it.

Earle Horton

Re: Connect to Internet at startup?
Broadband that I am familiar with is "always on". What do you have, cable,
DSL, satellite? What kind of Internet connection or service do you have?

Earle

"David Mayerovitch" <davmay@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I want to connect to my broadband Internet connection automatically
> whenever my system starts up.
>
> In XP I did this by creating a shortcut to the connection and placing it
> in the startup menu.
>
> However, Vista Home Premium apparently does not allow me to create a
> shortcut to an Internet connection. When I right-click on the connection,
> the menu offers only Disconnect, Status and Properties. The equivalent
> menu in XP included the option to Create Shortcut.
>
> Does anyone know how to launch a connection at startup in Vista? Or is
> this another of the simple conveniences that Microsoft has decided to make
> impossible?
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

KDE

Re: Connect to Internet at startup?
and how are you connecting? wifi? ethernet? Cellular?

>I want to connect to my broadband Internet connection automatically
>whenever my system starts up.
>
> In XP I did this by creating a shortcut to the connection and placing it
> in the startup menu.
>
> However, Vista Home Premium apparently does not allow me to create a
> shortcut to an Internet connection. When I right-click on the connection,
> the menu offers only Disconnect, Status and Properties. The equivalent
> menu in XP included the option to Create Shortcut.
>
> Does anyone know how to launch a connection at startup in Vista? Or is
> this another of the simple conveniences that Microsoft has decided to make
> impossible?
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

Nonny

<davmay@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I want to connect to my broadband Internet connection automatically whenever
>my system starts up.
>
>In XP I did this by creating a shortcut to the connection and placing it in
>the startup menu.

My computer connects by default WITHOUT having to do anything special.
I suspect that is the case for most people.
Nonny

Re: Connect to Internet at startup?
On Tue, 6 May 2008 10:45:59 -0600, "Earle Horton"
<earleh_nospam_@live.com> wrote:

>roadband that I am familiar with is "always on". What do you have, cable,
>DSL, satellite? What kind of Internet connection or service do you have?

Cable and DSL are "always on". Satellite might be different.
Dave

David Mayerovitch wrote:
> I want to connect to my broadband Internet connection automatically
> whenever my system starts up.
>
> In XP I did this by creating a shortcut to the connection and placing
> it in the startup menu.
>
> However, Vista Home Premium apparently does not allow me to create a
> shortcut to an Internet connection. When I right-click on the
> connection, the menu offers only Disconnect, Status and Properties.
> The equivalent menu in XP included the option to Create Shortcut.
>
> Does anyone know how to launch a connection at startup in Vista? Or
> is this another of the simple conveniences that Microsoft has decided
> to make impossible?
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

Are you using a usb modem ?

David Mayerovitch

Re: Connect to Internet at startup?
I have a high-speed broadband DSL connection from the phone company. It
appears under Network Connections as "Broadband connection, WAN Miniport
(PPPOE)". There is also a "Local area connection, Unidentified network,
Realtek ... "

Network discovery is On.

At system startup, the icon in the lower right corner of the screen shows
the warning exclamation point. In the Network and Sharing Center, the
diagram shows a broken connection to the Internet.

When I explicitly "Connect to", the connection to the Internet is
established (or when I launch a program that requires an Internet
connection.)

What do I have to do to establish the connection at system startup?

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 May 2008 12:03:08 -0400, "David Mayerovitch"
> <davmay@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>I want to connect to my broadband Internet connection automatically
>>whenever
>>my system starts up.

> Well duh, if it isn't already doing that SOMETHING is wrong. Assumes
> you really have a working broadband connection, not a dial-up. If you
> do, if things are working correctly you are ALWAYS on and Windows
> should start up the connection to the Internet automatically without
> you doing anything assuming you gave it a good IP address and have a
> modem/router, whatever hardware you need properly configured.
>>
>>In XP I did this by creating a shortcut to the connection and placing it
>>in

> Go to Control Panel Network sharing, etc..
>
> What do you see?
>
> If things are working as they should you should see a icon that looks
> like a PC with the name of your computer, another icon with the name
> of your broadband provider and a third icon that simply says Internet
> and has a world globe. There should be a green line connected all
> three. If not, something wrong.
>
> Underneath, Network discovered should be on. If you don't see this at
> startup after you have successfully booted and are in Windows, use the
> left pane to help you find out what's not set up correctly.
>
> You should see a little computer icon in the lower right hand corner
> of your desktop. That should ALWAYS be there as long as you are
> plugged into the Internet. If you lose your connect this will change.
> If you don't connect automatically it won't be there or if something
> is wrong it will have a X through it.

Adam Albright

Re: Connect to Internet at startup?
On Tue, 6 May 2008 14:14:22 -0400, "David Mayerovitch"
<davmay@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I have a high-speed broadband DSL connection from the phone company. It
>appears under Network Connections as "Broadband connection, WAN Miniport
>(PPPOE)". There is also a "Local area connection, Unidentified network,
>Realtek ... "
>
>Network discovery is On.
>
>At system startup, the icon in the lower right corner of the screen shows
>the warning exclamation point. In the Network and Sharing Center, the
>diagram shows a broken connection to the Internet.
>
>When I explicitly "Connect to", the connection to the Internet is
>established (or when I launch a program that requires an Internet
>connection.)
>
>What do I have to do to establish the connection at system startup?

First be sure the settings/connections are as the phone company
expects them. If you see unidentified anything, that can spell
trouble. There should be no need for you to connect to. That should be
automatically handled behind the scenes as the computer boots up and
shortly after it enter Windows. When you see an exclamation point
and/or a broken Network diagram that's a telltale sign something isn't
right.

I haven't used a phone company connection for years. However I do use
a high speed cable modem and I've seem similar things. Rarely the
cable company without notice will switch the IP address or do
something behind the scenes that can mess up the connection and I'll
see similar indications to what you just said.

Sometimes you can ask Vista to repair itself. There's a option
somewhere in Network connections that can sometimes repair what's
broken with your Internet connection. If that doesn't do it and you're
sure everything is as it should be according to your ISP then I would
have them walk you through the steps to set up a new connection.
That's what you're paying for.

>"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
>news:3p012459mt3tb3jie05jf3pglt9mvdun08@4ax.com.. .
>> On Tue, 6 May 2008 12:03:08 -0400, "David Mayerovitch"
>> <davmay@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>I want to connect to my broadband Internet connection automatically
>>>whenever
>>>my system starts up.

>> Well duh, if it isn't already doing that SOMETHING is wrong. Assumes
>> you really have a working broadband connection, not a dial-up. If you
>> do, if things are working correctly you are ALWAYS on and Windows
>> should start up the connection to the Internet automatically without
>> you doing anything assuming you gave it a good IP address and have a
>> modem/router, whatever hardware you need properly configured.
>>>
>>>In XP I did this by creating a shortcut to the connection and placing it
>>>in

>> Go to Control Panel Network sharing, etc..
>>
>> What do you see?
>>
>> If things are working as they should you should see a icon that looks
>> like a PC with the name of your computer, another icon with the name
>> of your broadband provider and a third icon that simply says Internet
>> and has a world globe. There should be a green line connected all
>> three. If not, something wrong.
>>
>> Underneath, Network discovered should be on. If you don't see this at
>> startup after you have successfully booted and are in Windows, use the
>> left pane to help you find out what's not set up correctly.
>>
>> You should see a little computer icon in the lower right hand corner
>> of your desktop. That should ALWAYS be there as long as you are
>> plugged into the Internet. If you lose your connect this will change.
>> If you don't connect automatically it won't be there or if something
>> is wrong it will have a X through it.

David Mayerovitch

Re: Connect to Internet at startup?
No. Input comes from the phone jack in the wall to a phone jack in the
modem. An Ethernet cable connects modem to computer.

news:H5CdnUejYtIQA73VnZ2dnUVZ8u6dnZ2d@giganews.com ...