removing programs after restore

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

newbie

removing programs after restore
I had picked up some spyware and so installed a security and cleaning
program,after that, i could not get my internet connection working so i
uninstalled the program, then internet would only partially work, so ,
frustrated ,i used system restore, now my internet is back like it should be
but some of the programs like spydoctor that i tried is trying to open up at
startup and i cant remove it because the file is missing(since it was after
the restore point), now what? how do i remove the leftovers?
Dave

Re: removing programs after restore
newbie wrote:
> I had picked up some spyware and so installed a security and cleaning
> program,after that, i could not get my internet connection working so
> i uninstalled the program, then internet would only partially work,
> so , frustrated ,i used system restore, now my internet is back like
> it should be but some of the programs like spydoctor that i tried is
> trying to open up at startup and i cant remove it because the file is
> missing(since it was after the restore point), now what? how do i
> remove the leftovers?

Download Autoruns from this page, (download link is at the top right side)
It does not need to be installed, just unzip to your Desktop.
It lists everything loaded at start-up.

Run autoruns.exe and agree to the licence.
The first page is a bit daunting, it opens on the ' Everything ' tab.
Click on Options and put a tick on ' Hide Microsoft Entries '.
Click on the double green arrow refresh button.

Now the first group of entries is the startup keys in the registry.
You can right-click and delete anything you are sure is suspect.
Or you can clear the check box to leave it in the registry but disable it from running at boot-up.
If you are not sure about an entry, right click and you have options including a web search.
You can always re-enable anything you disable by re-ticking the relevant box.

The other entries are things like services and drivers etc.
Anything that looks suspicious just clear the box; you can re-enable or delete on next boot.

Good luck!

newbie

Re: removing programs after restore
thanks a million dave, this worked! no more problems with that application
showing up as i knew it wasnt even there it was just leftover crap, but
thank you again, i love when i find real answers!( who doesnt?)
--

"Dave" wrote:

> newbie wrote:
> > I had picked up some spyware and so installed a security and cleaning
> > program,after that, i could not get my internet connection working so
> > i uninstalled the program, then internet would only partially work,
> > so , frustrated ,i used system restore, now my internet is back like
> > it should be but some of the programs like spydoctor that i tried is
> > trying to open up at startup and i cant remove it because the file is
> > missing(since it was after the restore point), now what? how do i
> > remove the leftovers?

> Download Autoruns from this page, (download link is at the top right side)
> It does not need to be installed, just unzip to your Desktop.
> It lists everything loaded at start-up.
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
>
> Run autoruns.exe and agree to the licence.
> The first page is a bit daunting, it opens on the ' Everything ' tab.
> Click on Options and put a tick on ' Hide Microsoft Entries '.
> Click on the double green arrow refresh button.
>
> Now the first group of entries is the startup keys in the registry.
> You can right-click and delete anything you are sure is suspect.
> Or you can clear the check box to leave it in the registry but disable it from running at boot-up.
> If you are not sure about an entry, right click and you have options including a web search.
> You can always re-enable anything you disable by re-ticking the relevant box.
>
> The other entries are things like services and drivers etc.
> Anything that looks suspicious just clear the box; you can re-enable or delete on next boot.
>
> Good luck!

newbie

Re: removing programs after restore
im back, soory but i meant to ask,even though that issue was solved i notice
that it is still listed in programs and features but when i try to uninstall
a box appears -messages file"c:/program Files/spyware doctor/unins000.msg" is
missing. Please correct the problem or obtain a new copy of the program. So
should i just leave it be or install spy doctor again and then uninstall
again or what do you think would be best? anyone? thank you in advance!

newbie wrote:
> im back, soory but i meant to ask,even though that issue was solved i
> notice that it is still listed in programs and features but when i
> try to uninstall a box appears -messages file"c:/program
> Files/spyware doctor/unins000.msg" is missing. Please correct the
> problem or obtain a new copy of the program. So should i just leave
> it be or install spy doctor again and then uninstall again or what do
> you think would be best? anyone? thank you in advance!

There are still some Spyware Doctor entries in the registry.
You could run regedit and delete them but as you are a "newbie" I would not
advise you to do that until you are more comfortable playing around with Vista.

You could just ignore it and not click on the uninstall routine, no harm in leaving the registry entries.

Or, as you say, you could install Spyware Doctor again and then uninstall it.
I think that may be the best way forward for you.

newbie

Re: removing programs after restore
thanks again dave, all your info is helpful, for now ill leave it be. i do
need more time to get aquainted with not just vista but computing in general,
but most likely ill be back soon, thanks!