Make a local hard disk offline, in a software manner?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Cat

Make a local hard disk offline, in a software manner?
I have two hard disks in my computer. Nowadays many people have more
than one hard disk. Let's call them A and B. A is a large disk, and I
have installed Windows on A. Most of my personal files are also stored
on A. B , however, is relatively small and contains seldom used files
and back up copies.

Since B is not often accessed, B usually gets turned off by OS. But
for no apparent reason ( I guess it maybe due to some sort of
defragmentation or indexing) B gets turned on making an annoying
sound.

I could manually cut off the power by opening the chassi and plugging
out the power code of B, but that will be even more annoying.

I can set B won't be turned off, but it will waste a lot of power
since B is idle most of the time.

Can't I just make the B offline till I want it to be functioning
again? I mean I'd like to turn B off using some sort of software and
prevent it to be automatically turned on until, I explicitly turn it
on. I saw PerfectDisk (a defragmenation software) make a drive offline
so that it to be disapeared from Windows Explorer. So it should be
possible in some way....

Any ideas?
the wharf rat

Re: Make a local hard disk offline, in a software manner?
In article <35116aa5-be46-4b21-91fe-446700bca5a3@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Cat <typingcat@gmail.com> wrote:

>Can't I just make the B offline till I want it to be functioning

Well, you could use disk management to remove the drive letter.

run "diskmgmt.msc" and right click the disc drive. Choose
"change drive letter" then "remove drive letter". When you want to use
it you could do the same thing but this time "assign drive letter".

dullpain

Re: Make a local hard disk offline, in a software manner?
If it really bothers you pull it out and mount the drive in a USB enclosure.
Your computer may perform better if you move your paging file to the second
drive.
There are also different philosophies with regard to moving your data files,
like My Documents, to the second hard drive rather than keeping them on the
primary.
Lastly, you could use the second hard drive to install XP just to see the
speed you have been missing with Vista.

C.B.

"dullpain" <fac_187@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If it really bothers you pull it out and mount the drive in a USB
> enclosure.
> Your computer may perform better if you move your paging file to the
> second drive.
> There are also different philosophies with regard to moving your data
> files, like My Documents, to the second hard drive rather than keeping
> them on the primary.
> Lastly, you could use the second hard drive to install XP just to see the
> speed you have been missing with Vista.

I don't lose any speed with Vista. I have four systems, one of them
with Vista and the other three with XP. The Vista machine runs just as fast
as the three XP machines. If you are running Vista you need to figure out
why you are losing speed. Hardware issues probably, or maybe even a bloated,
resource hungry security suite or inappropriate configurations.
In any event, you should not assume everyone experiences the problem
you have concerning speed. My Vista machine runs so well I rarely use the
other three. I had it built with the necessary hardware. If your machine
doesn't have the required hardware to run Vista properly that's not Vista's
fault. Place the blame where it belongs.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Adam Albright

Re: Make a local hard disk offline, in a software manner?
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:07:11 -0400, "C.B."
<notreallyc.b.mullen@windowslive.com> wrote:

>If your machine
>doesn't have the required hardware to run Vista properly that's not Vista's
>fault. Place the blame where it belongs.

I did place the blame where it belongs; on Microsoft's doorstep.

I bought a high end Gigabyte MB I build a new system around. Nice big
"Vista Certified" logo on the MB box. Same on their web site. Same
when I ran Microsoft's Vista update Advisor from the XP box I was
converting. It didn't nag and said everything was fine UNTIL I started
to install Vista, THEN it nagged and said it didn't like a couple
things.

The new MB didn't support LAN totally, didn't support SATA drives
properly until a couple months later, yet it was sold as "Vista
Certified."

Tell me how Microsoft issues "Vista Certified" logos like so much
candy on Halloween if a MB is shipped with missing/unsuitable untested
Vista drivers and the box claims it is certified?

Lester Stiefel

Adam Albright wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:07:11 -0400, "C.B."
> <notreallyc.b.mullen@windowslive.com> wrote:
>
>> If your machine
>> doesn't have the required hardware to run Vista properly that's not Vista's
>> fault. Place the blame where it belongs.

> I did place the blame where it belongs; on Microsoft's doorstep.
>
> I bought a high end Gigabyte MB I build a new system around. Nice big
> "Vista Certified" logo on the MB box. Same on their web site. Same
> when I ran Microsoft's Vista update Advisor from the XP box I was
> converting. It didn't nag and said everything was fine UNTIL I started
> to install Vista, THEN it nagged and said it didn't like a couple
> things.
>
> The new MB didn't support LAN totally, didn't support SATA drives
> properly until a couple months later, yet it was sold as "Vista
> Certified."
>
> Tell me how Microsoft issues "Vista Certified" logos like so much
> candy on Halloween if a MB is shipped with missing/unsuitable untested
> Vista drivers and the box claims it is certified?

Its not altogether the drivers. Half is in the BIOS of the
MB. I used to own a gigabyte MB with XP. Gigabyte swore the
MB supported the OS (guess what - the chip and the video bus
didn't). I eventually dumped the MB and the PC (but kept the
components. Will eventually use these older drives in an
older system.
Frank

C.B. wrote:

> "dullpain" <fac_187@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> If it really bothers you pull it out and mount the drive in a USB
>> enclosure.
>> Your computer may perform better if you move your paging file to the
>> second drive.
>> There are also different philosophies with regard to moving your data
>> files, like My Documents, to the second hard drive rather than keeping
>> them on the primary.
>> Lastly, you could use the second hard drive to install XP just to see
>> the speed you have been missing with Vista.

> I don't lose any speed with Vista. I have four systems, one of them
> with Vista and the other three with XP. The Vista machine runs just as
> fast as the three XP machines. If you are running Vista you need to
> figure out why you are losing speed. Hardware issues probably, or maybe
> even a bloated, resource hungry security suite or inappropriate
> configurations.
> In any event, you should not assume everyone experiences the problem
> you have concerning speed. My Vista machine runs so well I rarely use
> the other three. I had it built with the necessary hardware. If your
> machine doesn't have the required hardware to run Vista properly that's
> not Vista's fault. Place the blame where it belongs.
>
> C.B.

A little history here about aa (and aa is not this clowns real name!)
He did an in place upgrade over xp using Vista Business, which is a
really bad idea....and now he complains about Vista when he is the
incompetent one. He has one little install of Vista...he can't get it to
run properly...so everything is MS's fault. This clown is one of the
most hateful, arrogant pigs to ever post in any ng. The only people who
side with him are the MS haters...the few who pollute this ng only to
vent their hatred of MS or BG or SB or Vista...anything and anybody
connected with MSFT. Of course he claims to have MSFT stock...proly one
share. He is a failed accountant and used to work for the union in
chi-town. They proly fired his dumb stupid ignorant ass for incompetence
or embezzlement or both.
Oh and he really hates the MVP's!
Then there is me...the dumb ass took me on and I kicked his sorry ass
some many times my #13's got sore and soiled.
He is one worthless pig of a person.
Oh, and he's proly a drunkard.
Have fun! I know I did...LOL!
Frank