Ad Blocker?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

alamo@nomail

Ad Blocker?
Are there any suggestions for ad blocker programs under Vista Home
Premium? I was previously very happy with Ad Subtract, but its web
site says it's no longer supported and I assume it's not compatible
with Vista.

I absolutely hate flashing, pulsing, scene-changing, gaudy colored ads
scattered through the text when I'm trying to read web pages, after
being spared the darn things for so long. Any suggestions would be
gratefully received.

alamo
JoAnn Paules

Re: Ad Blocker?
Do you have pop-up blocker in IE turned on?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

<alamo@nomail> wrote in message
> Are there any suggestions for ad blocker programs under Vista Home
> Premium? I was previously very happy with Ad Subtract, but its web
> site says it's no longer supported and I assume it's not compatible
> with Vista.
>
> I absolutely hate flashing, pulsing, scene-changing, gaudy colored ads
> scattered through the text when I'm trying to read web pages, after
> being spared the darn things for so long. Any suggestions would be
> gratefully received.
>
> alamo

R. McCarty

Re: Ad Blocker?
I'm also a long time user of AdSubtract and sorry to see it's being
discontinued. One thing to help ( Outside another program ) is to
set the browser to not show Animations and inhibit both Shockwave
and Flash content. Install them but disable their use with manage
add-ons (If using IE). I also use an alternate browser Opera (9.10)
that can be configured to keep out aggravating/distracting content.

If you locate a good replacement for AdSubtract be sure to post
what you find.

<alamo@nomail> wrote in message
> Are there any suggestions for ad blocker programs under Vista Home
> Premium? I was previously very happy with Ad Subtract, but its web
> site says it's no longer supported and I assume it's not compatible
> with Vista.
>
> I absolutely hate flashing, pulsing, scene-changing, gaudy colored ads
> scattered through the text when I'm trying to read web pages, after
> being spared the darn things for so long. Any suggestions would be
> gratefully received.
>
> alamo

Mark Veldhuis

Re: Ad Blocker?
In article <i5ajv2pls8g5jm6nt844mmtuhpsgjtf6vc@4ax.com>, alamo@nomail
says...
> Are there any suggestions for ad blocker programs under Vista

AdMuncher (http://www.admuncher.com/) works fine here.

Kind regards,

Mark Veldhuis.
alamo@nomail

Re: Ad Blocker?
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:40:43 -0400, "JoAnn Paules"
<jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Do you have pop-up blocker in IE turned on?

Yes.
Andy

Re: Ad Blocker?
Firefox v2.0.0.2 + AdBlock Plus = teh own.

http://www.getfirefox.com
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

You'll be so happy you will weap (wheap?) tears of joy.

-A.

<alamo@nomail> wrote in message
> Are there any suggestions for ad blocker programs under Vista Home
> Premium? I was previously very happy with Ad Subtract, but its web
> site says it's no longer supported and I assume it's not compatible
> with Vista.
>
> I absolutely hate flashing, pulsing, scene-changing, gaudy colored ads
> scattered through the text when I'm trying to read web pages, after
> being spared the darn things for so long. Any suggestions would be
> gratefully received.
>
> alamo

John Barnes

Re: Ad Blocker?
If you are using Vista86, AdMuncher works well

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:40:43 -0400, "JoAnn Paules"
> <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Do you have pop-up blocker in IE turned on?

> Yes.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Ad Blocker?
At $24.95 a pop, AdMuncher is not exactly cheap, considering that
Adblock Plus for Firefox is free.

Gary VanderMolen

"John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message news:uH5Sq21ZHHA.4888@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> If you are using Vista86, AdMuncher works well
>
> <alamo@nomail> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:40:43 -0400, "JoAnn Paules"
>> <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Do you have pop-up blocker in IE turned on?

>> Yes.

Michael Palumbo

Re: Ad Blocker?
<alamo@nomail> wrote in message
> Are there any suggestions for ad blocker programs under Vista Home
> Premium? I was previously very happy with Ad Subtract, but its web
> site says it's no longer supported and I assume it's not compatible
> with Vista.
>
> I absolutely hate flashing, pulsing, scene-changing, gaudy colored ads
> scattered through the text when I'm trying to read web pages, after
> being spared the darn things for so long. Any suggestions would be
> gratefully received.
>
> alamo

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

You have to put up with "Internet Explorer can not display the web page."
messages in the places where the ads would be, but it's better than the ads
themselves.

Mic

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Ad Blocker?
I wish -- since I use Norton Internet Security 2007 and it has an add-
in for Ad-Blocking and Spam sorting but not yet updated for VISTA I'm
hopeful that that will be available soon.

But it there were a free one I wouldn't wait!