how to get the volume control on vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Andy Fish

how to get the volume control on vista
Hi,

I am using vista business and have the contol panel set to classic view
which does not allow me to access the volume control. :-(

so every time i want to adjust the volume i need to either (a) open control
panel and switch it back to non-classic view then open 'hardware and sound'
then 'adjust system volume' (6 clicks and i still have to remember to set
control panel back to classic view afterwards), or (b) run up the help and
support centre and search for "volume control" which gives me a link to
click.

Is there any easier way to get access to the volume control. ideally i'd
like to have it in the systray like you could in every other version of
windows, but vista doesn't seem to have this option

and please don't tell me to upgrade to XP - i'd love to but it's not
supported on my hardware.

Andy

LoneWolf

RE: how to get the volume control on vista
Andy
If you don't have the speaker icon in the
systray, right click taskbar, properties,
notification area, check the volume, uncheck
'hide inactive icons'.
If you do have the speaker icon, click on it
in your usual manner and the volume & mixer control
should appear. Mind you this may also have to be set in
control panel first/also, but once only.
I use Vista Business at home & its always been there.
HTH
--
regards
CL

"Andy Fish" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using vista business and have the contol panel set to classic view
> which does not allow me to access the volume control. :-(
>
> so every time i want to adjust the volume i need to either (a) open control
> panel and switch it back to non-classic view then open 'hardware and sound'
> then 'adjust system volume' (6 clicks and i still have to remember to set
> control panel back to classic view afterwards), or (b) run up the help and
> support centre and search for "volume control" which gives me a link to
> click.
>
> Is there any easier way to get access to the volume control. ideally i'd
> like to have it in the systray like you could in every other version of
> windows, but vista doesn't seem to have this option
>
> and please don't tell me to upgrade to XP - i'd love to but it's not
> supported on my hardware.
>
> Andy

raymundka

Re: how to get the volume control on vista

Vista does have a notification area volume icon.
right click your taskbar, open Properties and go to the Notification
Area tap.
Select System Icons you want to see and click Apply

--
raymundka
Andy Fish

Re: how to get the volume control on vista
oops - thanks, I really should have spotted that one :*)

typical vista though - everything you remember from xp/2000 is in there
somewhere, but it's moved and the help pages are no use whatsoever