day light saving time set incorrect

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

ATAS

day light saving time set incorrect
We are using Dell systems, Vista Business.
All our main and field offices are in California.

Our computer clock is one hour behind this morning.
The "Internet Time" server is time.windows.com.

California has changed their summer day light saving time start and stop in
different months.

What should we do to disable the Vista day light saving time changes?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

RE: day light saving time set incorrect
Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"ATAS" wrote:

> We are using Dell systems, Vista Business.
> All our main and field offices are in California.
>
> Our computer clock is one hour behind this morning.
> The "Internet Time" server is time.windows.com.
>
> California has changed their summer day light saving time start and stop in
> different months.
>
> What should we do to disable the Vista day light saving time changes?

Tom Allen

"ATAS" <no.spam@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center
>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience -
>> Windows System & Performance
>>

> Carey, thanks.
> I heard about the patches too.
> Can I just simply disable the day light saving time clock change at
> all?

There is a tickbox for 'Automatically adjust clock for DST' within the
'Change Time Zone' option of the Date and Time setup which you could
untick.

Tom

ATAS

Re: day light saving time set incorrect
> Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows System & Performance

Carey, thanks.
I heard about the patches too.
Can I just simply disable the day light saving time clock change at all?

Location: Seattle
Seattle Phil is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time Issue
I have a time issue that may or may not be related. I'm using Vista Home Premium SP1 with all recommended upates on a new Dell laptop.

I notice that in displaying a second clock set to UTC (GMT), Pacific Daylight Time is correct, but GMT is shown as 8 hours later. While daylight time is in effect, GMT is actually 7 hours later than PDT.

GMT never uses daylight time -- it's a worldwide reference. The only change ever made to GMT is an occasional leap-second to compensate for differences between atomic clocks and rotation of the earth.

Am I missing a configuration option, and if not, is there a patch?
Dwarf

Re: day light saving time set incorrect
Hi Phil,

There are actually 2 time zones that use GMT (UTC), but only one of these
use DST during the summer months (this being Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon,
London). If you switch to the other zone (Casablanca, Monrovia, Reykjavik),
you should find that the problem disappears and your second clock should
display the true GMT (UTC) time.
Dwarf

"Seattle Phil" wrote:

> I have a time issue that may or may not be related. I'm using Vista
> Home Premium SP1 with all recommended upates on a new Dell laptop.
>
> I notice that in displaying a second clock set to UTC (GMT), Pacific
> Daylight Time is correct, but GMT is shown as 8 hours later. While
> daylight time is in effect, GMT is actually 7 hours later than PDT.
>
> GMT never uses daylight time -- it's a worldwide reference. The only
> change ever made to GMT is an occasional leap-second to compensate for
> differences between atomic clocks and rotation of the earth.
>
> Am I missing a configuration option, and if not, is there a patch?
>

> --
> Seattle Phil

Location: Seattle
Seattle Phil is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post

"Seattle Phil" wrote:

> I have a time issue that may or may not be related. I'm using Vista
> Home Premium SP1 with all recommended upates on a new Dell laptop.
>
> I notice that in displaying a second clock set to UTC (GMT), Pacific
> Daylight Time is correct, but GMT is shown as 8 hours later. While
> daylight time is in effect, GMT is actually 7 hours later than PDT.
>
> GMT never uses daylight time -- it's a worldwide reference. The only
> change ever made to GMT is an occasional leap-second to compensate for
> differences between atomic clocks and rotation of the earth.
>
> Am I missing a configuration option, and if not, is there a patch?
>

> --
> Seattle Phil

Dwarf - Thanks. I hadn't noticed there were two flavors of GMT in the clock setup.

I can understand Microsoft's thinking on this point, given that people worldwide are using the OS. But as a former U.S. Coast Guard officer, it runs against my grain not to have a clearly-labeled choice for "pure" (unchanging) GMT/UTC.

I might have coded this routine with one additional choice labeled something like "(GMT) Worldwide Reference," pointing to the same set of constants as "(GMT) Casablanca, Monrovia, Reykjavik."

In any event, switching to that zone solved the problem. I appreciate the help.

Phil