using the tilde with n like in spanish

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

azteca

using the tilde with n like in spanish
I am using a notebook with vista and I cannot get the tilde over the n to
make the spanish letter. On other computers in the past I was able to type
ALT+164 and it would do it, but that is no working. I don't know if this is a
notebook issue or a vista issue. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
Joseph Meehan

Re: using the tilde with n like in spanish

"azteca" <azteca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using a notebook with vista and I cannot get the tilde over the n to
> make the spanish letter. On other computers in the past I was able to type
> ALT+164 and it would do it, but that is no working. I don't know if this
> is a
> notebook issue or a vista issue. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Make sure the font you are using has the " ñ " in it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: using the tilde with n like in spanish
You need to enable Numlock before the Alt+164 sequence.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"azteca" wrote:

I am using a notebook with vista and I cannot get the tilde over the n to
make the spanish letter. On other computers in the past I was able to type
ALT+164 and it would do it, but that is no working. I don't know if this is a
notebook issue or a vista issue. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
Alias

azteca wrote:
> I am using a notebook with vista and I cannot get the tilde over the n to
> make the spanish letter. On other computers in the past I was able to type
> ALT+164 and it would do it, but that is no working. I don't know if this is a
> notebook issue or a vista issue. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Try doing it the right way and add Spanish to your keyboard and stop
messing around with ALT+some weird code. Then you can type ñ,ç,á, º
ª and €.

Alias
Bob Campbell

Re: using the tilde with n like in spanish
"azteca" <azteca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using a notebook with vista and I cannot get the tilde over the n to
> make the spanish letter. On other computers in the past I was able to type
> ALT+164 and it would do it, but that is no working. I don't know if this
> is a
> notebook issue or a vista issue. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

On a laptop you first need to use Num Lock to put the keys into number mode.
Then the ALT 164 will work.

At least that's how my laptop works. Note that this only applies to the
embedded "numeric keypad" of JKL, UIO and 789.

Tim Slattery

Re: using the tilde with n like in spanish
azteca <azteca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am using a notebook with vista and I cannot get the tilde over the n to
>make the spanish letter. On other computers in the past I was able to type
>ALT+164 and it would do it, but that is no working. I don't know if this is a
>notebook issue or a vista issue. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

That works when you type the 164 on the numeric keypad, not the top
row of keys. Laptops generally have a numeric keypad superimposed on
the normal keypad, and you toggle the keyboard by hitting Fn+Numeric
(or something like that).

You might be better off bringing up the Character map (All
Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Character Map - I'm at an XP
computer, so I may a bit off on the location), find the character
there, and copy and paste.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(Shell/User)
Synapse Syndrome

Re: using the tilde with n like in spanish
"azteca" <azteca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using a notebook with vista and I cannot get the tilde over the n to
> make the spanish letter. On other computers in the past I was able to type
> ALT+164 and it would do it, but that is no working. I don't know if this
> is a
> notebook issue or a vista issue. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

If you do not want to use a keymap that is different to the keyboard you
have, you could try adding to the keymap that you are currently using by
customising it.

I'd suggest adding it to AltGr + N.

Try using this to do it:
http://webpages.charter.net:80/krumsick/

Tell me if this works in Vista, as I have not tried it.

ss.

Charlie42

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote:

> If you do not want to use a keymap that is different to the keyboard you
> have, you could try adding to the keymap that you are currently using by
> customising it.

Why not just use the tilde that is already on the keyboard? On English
layout keyboards, hold down AltGr and press the key with ~ on it, next press
n. Btw, this works with any letter you like to have a tilde on.

Charlie42

Synapse Syndrome

"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message

>> If you do not want to use a keymap that is different to the keyboard you
>> have, you could try adding to the keymap that you are currently using by
>> customising it.

> Why not just use the tilde that is already on the keyboard? On English
> layout keyboards, hold down AltGr and press the key with ~ on it, next
> press n. Btw, this works with any letter you like to have a tilde on.

That does not appear to work on my XP laptop (UK Keyboard).

ss.

Charlie42

Re: using the tilde with n like in spanish
"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote:

> That does not appear to work on my XP laptop (UK Keyboard).

That is strange, it has worked on all my keyboards - including the English
ones - since Win95, I believe.

Charlie42