Vista Missing Restore Points

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

mikeh

Vista Missing Restore Points
I've followed all the discussions on this subject but have not found an
answer to my problem. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a clean-install computer
with new hard disks. I can set a Restore point but it disappears after the
next boot; and Vista never automatically makes Restore points - there are
never any there until I manually make one, then it disappears after the next
boot.

This is not a dual boot computer; Vista was not an upgrade; Restore Points
are not turned off; I'm not running any Norton software; I have over 200GB
free on my HD; I have read all of Bert Kinney's articles. I am, however,
running Diskeeper but when I questioned Diskeeper they said that it was quite
definitely NOT Diskeeper that was the problem. But they would, wouldn't they?

Anybody got any ideas?
Mark L. Ferguson

Re: Vista Missing Restore Points
I would create a new admin account, and try restore there. It would help you
'narrow down' the problem, anyway. If it's the account, you can just copy
the old settings to the new. If not, a repair setup is called for, (perhaps
trying SFC first.)

Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
responding: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
Windows Vista Help What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...4be5e1033.mspx
--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.

"mikeh" <mikeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've followed all the discussions on this subject but have not found an
> answer to my problem. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a clean-install
> computer
> with new hard disks. I can set a Restore point but it disappears after the
> next boot; and Vista never automatically makes Restore points - there are
> never any there until I manually make one, then it disappears after the
> next
> boot.
>
> This is not a dual boot computer; Vista was not an upgrade; Restore Points
> are not turned off; I'm not running any Norton software; I have over 200GB
> free on my HD; I have read all of Bert Kinney's articles. I am, however,
> running Diskeeper but when I questioned Diskeeper they said that it was
> quite
> definitely NOT Diskeeper that was the problem. But they would, wouldn't
> they?
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

Bob

Re: Vista Missing Restore Points

Open an Admin command prompt.

Type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" (without the quotes). Press Enter.
How much space is allocated to SR?

Have you by any chance run a registry cleaner?
-------
*Report back, please*

"mikeh" <mikeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've followed all the discussions on this subject but have not found an
> answer to my problem. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a clean-install
> computer
> with new hard disks. I can set a Restore point but it disappears after the
> next boot; and Vista never automatically makes Restore points - there are
> never any there until I manually make one, then it disappears after the
> next
> boot.
>
> This is not a dual boot computer; Vista was not an upgrade; Restore Points
> are not turned off; I'm not running any Norton software; I have over 200GB
> free on my HD; I have read all of Bert Kinney's articles. I am, however,
> running Diskeeper but when I questioned Diskeeper they said that it was
> quite
> definitely NOT Diskeeper that was the problem. But they would, wouldn't
> they?
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

Achilles

Re: Vista Missing Restore Points

If it's of any help, I have run Diskeeper 2008 on Vista without any
problems of the system restore points disappearing.

If VSS is enabled on the Vista partition(s), then it's better to run
any defrag software with it's VSS-compatible mode switched on.
Diskeeper has a special VSS-compatible defrag option and I have been
using it without issues. This is also recommended in the Diskeeper 2008
manual.

--
Achilles
mikeh

Re: Vista Missing Restore Points
Bob, you might have the answer. When I run vssadmin I get "no items found
that satisfy the query". Presumably this means that I have no space for SR,
but what do I do to allocate some space?

And, yes, I've run a registry cleaner - is this the problem?

Thanks for your help.

"Bob" wrote:

> Open an Admin command prompt.
>
> Type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" (without the quotes). Press Enter.
> How much space is allocated to SR?
>
> Have you by any chance run a registry cleaner?
> -------
> *Report back, please*
>
> "mikeh" <mikeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've followed all the discussions on this subject but have not found an
> > answer to my problem. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a clean-install
> > computer
> > with new hard disks. I can set a Restore point but it disappears after the
> > next boot; and Vista never automatically makes Restore points - there are
> > never any there until I manually make one, then it disappears after the
> > next
> > boot.
> >
> > This is not a dual boot computer; Vista was not an upgrade; Restore Points
> > are not turned off; I'm not running any Norton software; I have over 200GB
> > free on my HD; I have read all of Bert Kinney's articles. I am, however,
> > running Diskeeper but when I questioned Diskeeper they said that it was
> > quite
> > definitely NOT Diskeeper that was the problem. But they would, wouldn't
> > they?
> >
> > Anybody got any ideas?

Bob

Re: Vista Missing Restore Points
You're welcome mikeh.
Answered inline.

> Bob, you might have the answer. When I run vssadmin I get "no items found
> that satisfy the query". Presumably this means that I have no space for
> SR,
> but what do I do to allocate some space?

To increase the disk space allocated, type (or copy and paste) “vssadmin
resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=10GB” (not the quotes but the
spaces) and press Enter. This example assumes changing the space on drive C
to 10GB. Create a manual restore point immediately after resizing.

> And, yes, I've run a registry cleaner - is this the problem?

Probably.
DO NOT use registry cleaners! See this:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
-------
*Report back, please*

> Thanks for your help.
>

> "Bob" wrote:
>

>> Open an Admin command prompt.
>>
>> Type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" (without the quotes). Press Enter.
>> How much space is allocated to SR?
>>
>> Have you by any chance run a registry cleaner?
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>>
>> "mikeh" <mikeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've followed all the discussions on this subject but have not found an
>> > answer to my problem. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a clean-install
>> > computer
>> > with new hard disks. I can set a Restore point but it disappears after
>> > the
>> > next boot; and Vista never automatically makes Restore points - there
>> > are
>> > never any there until I manually make one, then it disappears after the
>> > next
>> > boot.
>> >
>> > This is not a dual boot computer; Vista was not an upgrade; Restore
>> > Points
>> > are not turned off; I'm not running any Norton software; I have over
>> > 200GB
>> > free on my HD; I have read all of Bert Kinney's articles. I am,
>> > however,
>> > running Diskeeper but when I questioned Diskeeper they said that it was
>> > quite
>> > definitely NOT Diskeeper that was the problem. But they would, wouldn't
>> > they?
>> >
>> > Anybody got any ideas?

C.B.

Re: Vista Missing Restore Points

"mikeh" <mikeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bob, you might have the answer. When I run vssadmin I get "no items found
> that satisfy the query". Presumably this means that I have no space for
> SR,
> but what do I do to allocate some space?
>
> And, yes, I've run a registry cleaner - is this the problem?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> "Bob" wrote:
>

>> Open an Admin command prompt.
>>
>> Type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" (without the quotes). Press Enter.
>> How much space is allocated to SR?
>>
>> Have you by any chance run a registry cleaner?
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>>
>> "mikeh" <mikeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've followed all the discussions on this subject but have not found an
>> > answer to my problem. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a clean-install
>> > computer
>> > with new hard disks. I can set a Restore point but it disappears after
>> > the
>> > next boot; and Vista never automatically makes Restore points - there
>> > are
>> > never any there until I manually make one, then it disappears after the
>> > next
>> > boot.
>> >
>> > This is not a dual boot computer; Vista was not an upgrade; Restore
>> > Points
>> > are not turned off; I'm not running any Norton software; I have over
>> > 200GB
>> > free on my HD; I have read all of Bert Kinney's articles. I am,
>> > however,
>> > running Diskeeper but when I questioned Diskeeper they said that it was
>> > quite
>> > definitely NOT Diskeeper that was the problem. But they would, wouldn't
>> > they?
>> >
>> > Anybody got any ideas?

mikeh,

Why did you feel the need to run a registry cleaner? Please see the
link below:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=280...923a90b3d2639b

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Bob

Re: Vista Missing Restore Points
You're welcome mikeh.
Answered inline.

"mikeh" <mikeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bob, you might have the answer. When I run vssadmin I get "no items found
> that satisfy the query". Presumably this means that I have no space for
> SR,
> but what do I do to allocate some space?

To increase the disk space allocated, type (or copy and paste) “vssadmin
resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=10GB” (not the quotes but the
spaces) and press Enter. This example assumes changing the space on drive C
to 10GB. Create a manual restore point immediately after resizing.

> And, yes, I've run a registry cleaner - is this the problem?

Probably.
DO NOT use registry cleaners! See this:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
-------
*Report back, please*

> Thanks for your help.
>

> "Bob" wrote:
>

>> Open an Admin command prompt.
>>
>> Type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" (without the quotes). Press Enter.
>> How much space is allocated to SR?
>>
>> Have you by any chance run a registry cleaner?
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>>
>> "mikeh" <mikeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've followed all the discussions on this subject but have not found an
>> > answer to my problem. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a clean-install
>> > computer
>> > with new hard disks. I can set a Restore point but it disappears after
>> > the
>> > next boot; and Vista never automatically makes Restore points - there
>> > are
>> > never any there until I manually make one, then it disappears after the
>> > next
>> > boot.
>> >
>> > This is not a dual boot computer; Vista was not an upgrade; Restore
>> > Points
>> > are not turned off; I'm not running any Norton software; I have over
>> > 200GB
>> > free on my HD; I have read all of Bert Kinney's articles. I am,
>> > however,
>> > running Diskeeper but when I questioned Diskeeper they said that it was
>> > quite
>> > definitely NOT Diskeeper that was the problem. But they would, wouldn't
>> > they?
>> >
>> > Anybody got any ideas?

mikeh

Re: Vista Missing Restore Points
Bob,
When I type (as admin in command prompt) the resize command I get "Error:
The specified volume shadow copy storage association was not found".

If I list volumes I get "Volume path C:\
Volume name: \\?\Volume {long hex number}".

If I list Writers I get a long list of writers, all with "no errors".

This is a corner of Vista that I've never seen before!

Thanks for your help - and I'll desist from using a registry cleaner in
future.

"Bob" wrote:

> You're welcome mikeh.
> Answered inline.
>
> "mikeh" <mikeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Bob, you might have the answer. When I run vssadmin I get "no items found
> > that satisfy the query". Presumably this means that I have no space for
> > SR,
> > but what do I do to allocate some space?

> To increase the disk space allocated, type (or copy and paste) “vssadmin
> resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=10GB” (not the quotes but the
> spaces) and press Enter. This example assumes changing the space on drive C
> to 10GB. Create a manual restore point immediately after resizing.
>
> > And, yes, I've run a registry cleaner - is this the problem?

> Probably.
> DO NOT use registry cleaners! See this:
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
> -------
> *Report back, please*
>

> > Thanks for your help.
> >

> > "Bob" wrote:
> >

> >> Open an Admin command prompt.
> >>
> >> Type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" (without the quotes). Press Enter.
> >> How much space is allocated to SR?
> >>
> >> Have you by any chance run a registry cleaner?
> >> -------
> >> *Report back, please*

Bob

Re: Vista Missing Restore Points