Why does 4GB RAM only show as 3GB?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Frank

Re: Why does 4GB RAM only show as 3GB?
Martin Burke wrote:

> ray wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:05:25 -0700, Bill Yanaire wrote:
>>

>>>"ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message

>>>I'm surprised you didn't give the OP your Ubuntu talk. What's wrong?
>>>You finally figured out that Ubuntu is a Pile of Junk?

>>Nothing wrong. Why would I give a 'Ubuntu talk' if he didn't ask about
>>Ubuntu? I still use primarily Ubuntu, Gentoo, Elive and Debian - because
>>they work.

> Ubuntu is getting better by the time 8.10 is out (few weeks) it should all
> be fine, they even have a utility to run/install it on a Doze box with out
> installing it !! All you have to do is click an icon on your xp/vista
> desktop and Ubuntu is there.
>
> The only thing wrong with Vista is its not compatable with older hardware,
> annoying when you have to keep answering YES just to install / run
> software. Very slow on anything with less than 4gig and only just about
> works on 4gig, the "kernel" is based on 2003 so in theory should be stable,
> its just the code on top thats flaky and makes it such a poor advert for
> M$.

Got any more mis-information about Vista you lying linux troll!
Frank
ray

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:52:52 +0100, Martin Burke wrote:

> ray wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:05:25 -0700, Bill Yanaire wrote:
>>
>>> "ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm surprised you didn't give the OP your Ubuntu talk. What's wrong?
>>> You finally figured out that Ubuntu is a Pile of Junk?

>> Nothing wrong. Why would I give a 'Ubuntu talk' if he didn't ask about
>> Ubuntu? I still use primarily Ubuntu, Gentoo, Elive and Debian -
>> because they work.

> Ubuntu is getting better by the time 8.10 is out (few weeks) it should
> all be fine, they even have a utility to run/install it on a Doze box
> with out installing it !! All you have to do is click an icon on your
> xp/vista desktop and Ubuntu is there.
>
> The only thing wrong with Vista is its not compatable with older
> hardware, annoying when you have to keep answering YES just to install /
> run software. Very slow on anything with less than 4gig and only just
> about works on 4gig, the "kernel" is based on 2003 so in theory should
> be stable, its just the code on top thats flaky and makes it such a poor
> advert for M$.

Yes - Just received notice last week that a nearby hospital is 'upgrading'
to vista. So they will be donating ten slightly used xp machines to the
local library where I volunteer. Among other things, we have four old
compaq 800mhz P3 machines (running Ubuntu) which will be replaced - and
set up with Ubuntu. They are a portion of our eleven public access
internet computers.
ray

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:01:08 -0400, Bob Campbell wrote:

> "Martin Burke" <mlburke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>
>> Ubuntu is getting better by the time 8.10 is out (few weeks)

> Geez, ANOTHER version of Ubuntu? The upgrade treadmill continues!

Yes. They release one every six months - Linux is evolving. However, there
is not need to upgrade that often if you don't want to. 6.06 was a LTS
(Long Term Support) edition, and 8.04 (not 8.10 as referenced above) will
be also. Note also, that LTS on the server edition continues for a few
more years.

>> it should all
>> be fine, they even have a utility to run/install it on a Doze box

> It installs on TV sets? That's the only "doze box" I have, since I
> usually fall asleep while watching it.

I manage, usually, to stay awake until Letterman's second commercial break!

>> with out
>> installing it !! All you have to do is click an icon on your xp/vista
>> desktop and Ubuntu is there.

> So you can install it without installing it? Um, OK.

You can install it on your MS installation, without having to install it
to disk in it's own partition. Of course, there is also the Live CD which
permits running it without install.

>> The only thing wrong with Vista is its not compatable with older
>> hardware,

> It's not? Wow, you better tell that to my 4 year old ThinkPad T41
> laptop and my 10 year old HP LaserJet 4 printer!

Evidently our local hospital thinks it doesn't. They plan to donate ten xp
machines to the local library as they 'upgrade' to vista.

>> annoying when you have to keep answering YES just to install / run
>> software.

> No it's not. Do you install software everyday?

Fairly frequently, actually.

>> Very slow on anything with less than 4gig and only just about

> No it's not. I have it on a 2 GB P4 machine and it flies, plus the
> above T41 laptop with 1 GB RAM. Runs fine.

Hmmmmm. And Gentoo runs quite nicely on my 1ghz VIA mini-itx. Actually,
Ubuntu is not doing too bad on the 800mhz P3's at the library, either.

>> works on 4gig, the "kernel" is based on 2003 so in theory should be
>> stable,
>> its just the code on top thats flaky and makes it such a poor advert
>> for M$.

> Congratulations, a whole paragraph of lies and FUD!

Alias

Frank wrote:
> Alias wrote:
>
>> Bill Yanaire wrote:
>>
>>> "ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm surprised you didn't give the OP your Ubuntu talk. What's
>>> wrong? You finally figured out that Ubuntu is a Pile of Junk?
>>>

>> How come you didn't provide your expert opinion on the OP's problem
>> instead of bringing up Ubuntu?
>>
>> Alias

> Why is a lying linux loser like you in this ng, huh?
> Frank

Considering that I am not a "lying linux loser", your question is stupid.

Alias wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> Alias wrote:

>>> How come you didn't provide your expert opinion on the OP's problem
>>> instead of bringing up Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> Alias

>> Why is a lying linux loser like you in this ng, huh?
>> Frank

> Considering that I am not a "lying linux loser", your question is stupid.
>
> Alias

Liar...LOL!
Frank
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Why does 4GB RAM only show as 3GB?
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:46:41 +1100, "Qu0ll" <Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know that when using 32-bit Vista you can't expect to see all 4GB of
> installed RAM but I was under the impression that you should see between 3.1
> and 3.5GB. My new Dell Precision laptop has 4GB RAM but only shows exactly
> 3GB. The BIOS reports 4GB.
>
> Is this unusual or indicative of a problem?

No, it's normal. There's no 3.1-3.5GB range.

All 32-bit versions of Windows (not just Vista) have a 4GB address
space. That's the theoretical upper limit beyond which you can not go.
But you can't use the entire 4GB of address space. Even though you
have a 4GB address space, you can only use *around* 3.1GB of RAM.
That's because some of that space is used by hardware and not
available to the operating system and applications. The amount you can
use varies, depending on what hardware you have installed, but is
usually around 3.1GB. 3.0GB is slightly on the low side, but it's not
indicative of any sort of problem.

Note that the hardware is using the address *space*, not the actual
RAM itself. The rest of the RAM goes unused because there is no
address space to map it too.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Little Billy

"Qu0ll" <Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I know that when using 32-bit Vista you can't expect to see all 4GB of
>installed RAM but I was under the impression that you should see between
>3.1 and 3.5GB. My new Dell Precision laptop has 4GB RAM but only shows
>exactly 3GB. The BIOS reports 4GB.
>
> Is this unusual or indicative of a problem?

See if Dell has a patch, sometimes under properties it displays wrong. My
Sony was displaying the wrong processor which was fixed with the patch.

> --
> And loving it,
>
> -Q
> Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com
> (Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

saeen

Re: Why does 4GB RAM only show as 3GB?

OK so 32-bit don't show the actual ram size but does it means that
system can only use the displayed ram amount?

--
saeen
Mike Torello

saeen <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>OK so 32-bit don't show the actual ram size but does it means that
>system can only use the displayed ram amount?

You've got it.
Chuck

Re: Why does 4GB RAM only show as 3GB?
In essence, yes, due to 32bit address space limitations and hardware. Rom
address space and many video cards/chipsets use RAM memory also, limiting
the amount of RAM available for general system & application use.

There are hardware methods that can utilize much greater amounts of RAM
memory for specific tasks, but these are not really implemented in either
32bit windows or most "IBM compatibles".

It's kind of amusing that Apple and HP implemented schemes that allowed
memory "pages" to be switched in and out of processor address space over
twenty years ago. (Apple II+, and HP Mini/Micro technical computers)

In the 1970's, HP used a scheme that allowed almost infinite memory to be
used by mapping memory segments in and out of the processors address space
on a memory "page" basis. The hardware support was based upon extensible
instructions that allowed the use of multiple words to describe a specific
memory location, with one bit in each word used as a flag, and if memory
serves, other bits pointing to the next memory location that contained
another part of the memory address. This might go on for several memory
locations to complete the address location information. Another trick of
HP's was to have internal and external instructions. The external machine
language instruction might be 16bits, and point to an internal instruction
of 24 bits. The internal instruction might also call a ROM routine.

"saeen" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> OK so 32-bit don't show the actual ram size but does it means that
> system can only use the displayed ram amount?
>

> --
> saeen

show desktop doesn't show gadgets kerry microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 12 09-06-2009 21:51
Article ID: 926672 The slide show length does not match the song length when you use the "Change slide show length to match music length" option in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
IIS does not show Haroon microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 09-17-2007 10:26
Best in show Paul Security News 0 04-02-2007 22:49
Show us your Wow!! nothing microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 03-01-2007 02:42