Writing to CD

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Geri

Writing to CD
I've installed SP1 and was happy with the slight improvement for file copying
to your hard drive or from/to a network. I was surprised to see that the
problem with copying files to a cd/dvd hasn't been addressed. You're still
prompted to "format" the CD or DVD. The progress bar is totally off kilter.
After 6 minutes into the formatting process it still says I have 35 seconds
left. huh? After 8 minutes of waiting for the CD to format I cancelled the
process through task manager. I really don't use this feature in Vista, but
it would be nice if it worked properly. For now I'll continue to use Nero and
Magic ISO.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...ista.gen eral
Bob

Re: Writing to CD

I copy files to a DVD every day using copy and paste and/or a batch file
with the xcopy command. No problems with it.

What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Geri" <Geri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've installed SP1 and was happy with the slight improvement for file
> copying
> to your hard drive or from/to a network. I was surprised to see that the
> problem with copying files to a cd/dvd hasn't been addressed. You're still
> prompted to "format" the CD or DVD. The progress bar is totally off
> kilter.
> After 6 minutes into the formatting process it still says I have 35
> seconds
> left. huh? After 8 minutes of waiting for the CD to format I cancelled the
> process through task manager. I really don't use this feature in Vista,
> but
> it would be nice if it worked properly. For now I'll continue to use Nero
> and
> Magic ISO.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...ista.gen eral

On the Bridge! \(An MVP upgrade\)

Re: Writing to CD
nero is far superior

I would use that any day instead of the built in burning tool

"Geri" <Geri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've installed SP1 and was happy with the slight improvement for file
> copying
> to your hard drive or from/to a network. I was surprised to see that the
> problem with copying files to a cd/dvd hasn't been addressed. You're still
> prompted to "format" the CD or DVD. The progress bar is totally off
> kilter.
> After 6 minutes into the formatting process it still says I have 35
> seconds
> left. huh? After 8 minutes of waiting for the CD to format I cancelled the
> process through task manager. I really don't use this feature in Vista,
> but
> it would be nice if it worked properly. For now I'll continue to use Nero
> and
> Magic ISO.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...ista.gen eral

Geri

Re: Writing to CD
Hi Bob-

I was thinking more on the lines of the "general" consumer. I can probably
use the xcopy command line, but for the average everyday joe (myself
included) who uses file explorer to copy and paste... it ain't happening. I
use Avast and the standard windows firewall, but I've tried with all security
features disabled and have the same issue. Using the explorer window to copy
and paste does work per se. It just takes forever and a day to format. Once
the CD/DVD is formatted it copies like a champ. It's a minor annoyance.

>Once the CD/DVD is formatted it copies like a champ. It's a minor
> >annoyance.

So don't worry it. Have several formatted disks on hand.