How to turn off transparency and change color of just the taskbar?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

George

How to turn off transparency and change color of just the taskbar?
I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate with "Aero" and I'd like to turn off the
transparency of the taskbar and perhaps also change its color (currently two
shades of gray) without disabling "Aero" and without changing the
transparency or color effects of other windows. Is this possible? Are
there options within Windows or free 3rd party apps that can do this? I've
seen this question posed before but with no satisfactory answer.

I notice that maximizing a window makes the taskbar appear opaque, but then
I can't see the desktop. I'd like the taskbar to be opaque all the time. I
also notice that using a background that's black at the bottom can make the
taskbar appear opaque, but that prevents you from having fun with different
backgrounds.

George

Brink

Re: How to turn off transparency and change color of just the taskbar?

George;649577 Wrote:
> I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate with "Aero" and I'd like to turn off
> the
> transparency of the taskbar and perhaps also change its color
> (currently two
> shades of gray) without disabling "Aero" and without changing the
> transparency or color effects of other windows. Is this possible? Are
> there options within Windows or free 3rd party apps that can do this?
> I've
> seen this question posed before but with no satisfactory answer.
>
> I notice that maximizing a window makes the taskbar appear opaque, but
> then
> I can't see the desktop. I'd like the taskbar to be opaque all the
> time. I
> also notice that using a background that's black at the bottom can make
> the
> taskbar appear opaque, but that prevents you from having fun with
> different
> backgrounds.
>
> George

Sorry George. It's all or nothing.

Shawn

--
Brink

'[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/brinkvx64.png]'
(http://uswave.net/vistax64/brinkvx64.png) (\"http://uswave.net/vistax64/brinkvx64.png\")
them.*
'*VISTA FORUMS*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Jay

"Brink" <Brink.36emh0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> George;649577 Wrote:
>> I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate with "Aero" and I'd like to turn off
>> the
>> transparency of the taskbar and perhaps also change its color
>> (currently two
>> shades of gray) without disabling "Aero" and without changing the
>> transparency or color effects of other windows. Is this possible? Are
>> there options within Windows or free 3rd party apps that can do this?
>> I've
>> seen this question posed before but with no satisfactory answer.
>>
>> I notice that maximizing a window makes the taskbar appear opaque, but
>> then
>> I can't see the desktop. I'd like the taskbar to be opaque all the
>> time. I
>> also notice that using a background that's black at the bottom can make
>> the
>> taskbar appear opaque, but that prevents you from having fun with
>> different
>> backgrounds.
>>
>> George

> Sorry George. It's all or nothing.

Is it?
What about right clicking the desktop and choosing personalise.
Go to Windows colour and appearance and unchecking enable transparency?

George

"Jay" <noreply@here.orhere> wrote in message
> "Brink" <Brink.36emh0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> George;649577 Wrote:
>>> I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate with "Aero" and I'd like to turn off
>>> the transparency of the taskbar and perhaps also change its color
>>> (currently two shades of gray) without disabling "Aero" and without
>>> changing the
>>> transparency or color effects of other windows. Is this possible? Are
>>> there options within Windows or free 3rd party apps that can do this?
>>> I've seen this question posed before but with no satisfactory answer.
>>>
>>> I notice that maximizing a window makes the taskbar appear opaque, but
>>> then I can't see the desktop. I'd like the taskbar to be opaque all the
>>> time. I also notice that using a background that's black at the bottom
>>> can make
>>> the taskbar appear opaque, but that prevents you from having fun with
>>> different backgrounds.
>>>
>>> George

>> Sorry George. It's all or nothing.

> Is it?
> What about right clicking the desktop and choosing personalise.
> Go to Windows colour and appearance and unchecking enable transparency?

Unchecking "enable transparency" removes transparency from ALL windows. I
only want to disable the transparency of the taskbar.

George

On the Bridge!

Re: How to turn off transparency and change color of just the taskbar?
you can make a template on photoshop or similar to add a band of back on the
backgrounds you want

"George" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Jay" <noreply@here.orhere> wrote in message
>> "Brink" <Brink.36emh0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

>>> Sorry George. It's all or nothing.

>> Is it?
>> What about right clicking the desktop and choosing personalise.
>> Go to Windows colour and appearance and unchecking enable transparency?

> Unchecking "enable transparency" removes transparency from ALL windows. I
> only want to disable the transparency of the taskbar.
>
> George

On the Bridge!

Re: How to turn off transparency and change color of just the taskbar?
you can make a template on photoshop or similar (a seperate layer) to add a
band of black on the
backgrounds you want in the area of the taskbar...