Lost Word Document (docx)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Sue

Lost Word Document (docx)
This is the 2nd time this has happened. I was e-mailed a Word document
(docx) vision. Opened the document, worked on it, used Ctrl S to save and
cannot locate the saved document. Where can it be?
Jeff Strickland

Re: Lost Word Document (docx)
and note the location. The file you worked on will be in that folder. This
is a pain in the ass, I know.

The work around is (in the future), open the file and immediately do a Save
As, and direct the resulting file to your My Documents folder where you can
find it again on a subsequent File Open.

The problem you did not plan for is that active e-mail files are not saved
in MyDocuments, so a File Save (CTRL + S) will not give the expected
results. This is why you need to save attachments before you start working
on them. You can open and edit, but you have to remember to save to
MyDocuments because that is not where they will automatically go.

"Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the 2nd time this has happened. I was e-mailed a Word document
> (docx) vision. Opened the document, worked on it, used Ctrl S to save and
> cannot locate the saved document. Where can it be?

Jay

Re: Lost Word Document (docx)
"Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the 2nd time this has happened. I was e-mailed a Word document
> (docx) vision. Opened the document, worked on it, used Ctrl S to save and
> cannot locate the saved document. Where can it be?

Check your temporary internet files.
If you plan to save/work on an email attachment you should save it locally
first.
Or do a "save as" when done.

Dave

Re: Lost Word Document (docx)
The file should be located in a folder somewhere in
C:\Users\(youraccount)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Win dows\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5

Windows Explorer won't let you navigate to this folder, but it will show the
Content.IE5 folder and subfolders, only if you manually enter the path into
the address bar.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the 2nd time this has happened. I was e-mailed a Word document
> (docx) vision. Opened the document, worked on it, used Ctrl S to save and
> cannot locate the saved document. Where can it be?

Frenchy

Re: Lost Word Document (docx)
Dave wrote:
> The file should be located in a folder somewhere in
> C:\Users\(youraccount)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Win dows\Temporary Internet
> Files\Content.IE5
>
> Windows Explorer won't let you navigate to this folder, but it will show
> the Content.IE5 folder and subfolders, only if you manually enter the
> path into the address bar.

Can all those folders there be emptied or deleted?

Frenchy
Dave

Re: Lost Word Document (docx)
AFAIK, most of the files get deleted when you "Delete Temporary Internet
files" in Internet Options, or via Disk Cleanup.

--

"Frenchy" <Invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Dave wrote:
>> The file should be located in a folder somewhere in
>> C:\Users\(youraccount)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Win dows\Temporary Internet
>> Files\Content.IE5
>>
>> Windows Explorer won't let you navigate to this folder, but it will show
>> the Content.IE5 folder and subfolders, only if you manually enter the
>> path into the address bar.
>>

> Can all those folders there be emptied or deleted?
>
> Frenchy

Rabs101

Re: Lost Word Document (docx)

You need to do a couple of things. (Vista Word)

One: Reopen the attachment from the email
Two: Go to file, prepare, Properties
Three: In the upper right hand corner, you will see a file destination.
Copy that
Four: Paste the destination into a navigation bar (found by right
clicking the Start button and selecting "Explore All". This is the thing
at the very top.)
Five: Start erasing (from right to left) the text until multiple
options with similar file names appear. (If your attachment is called
"Paper" you are looking for things called "Paper (1)" or "Paper (2)"
Six: Select files until you find the one you were editing.

Hope that helps!

--
Rabs101
Rabs101's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161991.htm