text paste not working in command window

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

KaPes

text paste not working in command window
I have vista Enterprise.

I have peculiar problem, if I copy any text from say a web page or text file
and try to copy it into command window (cmd.exe) it doesn't work.

If i copy data from same command window.. (say like output of a command), I
am able to paste it into command window or outside into say a notepad.

I think it is not a security problem like integrity level.. as I am not able
to copy text into command prompt opened with administrator credential.

Does anyone have any solutions?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"
Bob

Re: text paste not working in command window
What method are you using to paste?
--
*Report back, please*

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm

"KaPes" <KaPes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have vista Enterprise.
>
> I have peculiar problem, if I copy any text from say a web page or text
> file
> and try to copy it into command window (cmd.exe) it doesn't work.
>
> If i copy data from same command window.. (say like output of a command),
> am able to paste it into command window or outside into say a notepad.
>
> I think it is not a security problem like integrity level.. as I am not
> able
> to copy text into command prompt opened with administrator credential.
>
> Does anyone have any solutions?
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

R. C. White

Re: text paste not working in command window
Hi, KaPes.

Copy'n'paste works differently in the Command Prompt window - but it DOES
work for me when I remember the steps.

First, right-click in the CP window and click Mark. Then use the mouse or
the arrow keys to highlight the area containing the text to be copied. And
then, do NOT use the usual Ctrl+C to copy! Just press Enter. This puts the
text onto the clipboard, from where it can be pasted back into the CP window
or into Notepad or just about anywhere else. To paste into Notepad, use
Ctrl+V, as usual.

To paste from the clipboard into the CP window, right-click the mouse and
select Paste. This will insert the clipboard contents at the typing cursor,
no matter where the mouse is pointed.

If this doesn't work for you, please tell us, step by step, exactly HOW you
are trying to copy and to paste. Saying, "I try to copy..." does not tell
us the steps you are performing. I know it sounds obvious, but it is not.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"KaPes" <KaPes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have vista Enterprise.
>
> I have peculiar problem, if I copy any text from say a web page or text
> file
> and try to copy it into command window (cmd.exe) it doesn't work.
>
> If i copy data from same command window.. (say like output of a command),
> am able to paste it into command window or outside into say a notepad.
>
> I think it is not a security problem like integrity level.. as I am not
> able
> to copy text into command prompt opened with administrator credential.
>
> Does anyone have any solutions?

Bob

Re: text paste not working in command window
I have the same problem with Vista Business

1) Copy some text from a text editor with either Ctrl-C or right-click, Copy.
2) Click into an open command prompt
3) Right-click and select Paste (which is NOT grayed out)
4) RESULT - Nothing happens
6) Ctrl-V
7) RESULT - Text from clipboard pastes into the editor.
8) Right-click, Paste
9) RESULT - Text from clipboard pastes into the editor.

Go figure.

I have no problem copying from command prompt and pasting into the editor.
Also have no problem copying from command prompt and pasting into command
prompt. It does not even have to be the same command prompt. It does not
matter whether or not the editor is notepad. Reboot does not help. There has
to be a logical explanation.