How do I open the boot configuration store?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?dmlzdGEgZG9yaw==?=

How do I open the boot configuration store?
In trying to perform a bcdedit.exe command I got "the boot configuration data
store could not be opened. Access is denied." Response
In administrative privileges it says I should have full access, any
suggestions?
Jimmy Brush

Re: How do I open the boot configuration store?
Hello,

Right-click command prompt and then click Run As Administrator.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
=?Utf-8?B?dmlzdGEgZG9yaw==?=

Re: How do I open the boot configuration store?
I knew it was something simple, you saved me alot of time.

Thanks Jimmy,
Kevin C

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Right-click command prompt and then click Run As Administrator.
>

> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

gadya

Re: How do I open the boot configuration store?
I have a similar problem but different.
"The boot configuration data store could not be opened The system cannot
find the file specified."

I suspect that this may be because the system partition which contains the
bootmgr and bcd etc is not the Vista partition but an XP partition.
Everything works OK. I get the option to choose Vista or earlier operating
systems.
But I want to use BCDedit to change the default entry from Vista to XP and I
get the error message above!
--
Victor

"vista dork" wrote:

> I knew it was something simple, you saved me alot of time.
>
> Thanks Jimmy,
> Kevin C
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Right-click command prompt and then click Run As Administrator.
> >

> > --
> > - JB
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Windows Vista Support Faq
> > http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Mark

Re: How do I open the boot configuration store?
You should be able to do that from within Vista. System / System Protection
/ Advanced / Startup And Recovery / Default Operating System

Mark

"gadya" <gadya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a similar problem but different.
> "The boot configuration data store could not be opened The system cannot
> find the file specified."
>
> I suspect that this may be because the system partition which contains the
> bootmgr and bcd etc is not the Vista partition but an XP partition.
> Everything works OK. I get the option to choose Vista or earlier operating
> systems.
> But I want to use BCDedit to change the default entry from Vista to XP and
> get the error message above!
> --
> Victor
>

> "vista dork" wrote:
>
>> I knew it was something simple, you saved me alot of time.
>>
>> Thanks Jimmy,
>> Kevin C
>>
>> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Right-click command prompt and then click Run As Administrator.
>> >

>> > --
>> > - JB
>> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > Windows Vista Support Faq
>> > http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

gadya

Re: How do I open the boot configuration store?
I should be able to, but as I said the BCD file is not seen by BCDedit, and
similarly when I go to . System / System Protection
/ Advanced / Startup And Recovery / Default Operating System, the drop down
list is greyed out. Interestingly if you enter a value in 'time to display
list of operating systems' and OK it, it reverts to 0 - which of course makes
sense in the circumstances.
--
Victor

"Mark" wrote:

> You should be able to do that from within Vista. System / System Protection
> / Advanced / Startup And Recovery / Default Operating System
>
> Mark
>
> "gadya" <gadya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a similar problem but different.
> > "The boot configuration data store could not be opened The system cannot
> > find the file specified."
> >
> > I suspect that this may be because the system partition which contains the
> > bootmgr and bcd etc is not the Vista partition but an XP partition.
> > Everything works OK. I get the option to choose Vista or earlier operating
> > systems.
> > But I want to use BCDedit to change the default entry from Vista to XP and
> > get the error message above!
> > --
> > Victor
> >

> > "vista dork" wrote:
> >
> >> I knew it was something simple, you saved me alot of time.
> >>
> >> Thanks Jimmy,
> >> Kevin C

Mark

Re: How do I open the boot configuration store?
You could try this forum, from the developers of VistaBootPro. Sorry I can't
help more.

http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/index.php

>I should be able to, but as I said the BCD file is not seen by BCDedit, and
> similarly when I go to . System / System Protection
> / Advanced / Startup And Recovery / Default Operating System, the drop
> down
> list is greyed out. Interestingly if you enter a value in 'time to display
> list of operating systems' and OK it, it reverts to 0 - which of course
> makes
> sense in the circumstances.
> --
> Victor
>

> "Mark" wrote:
>
>> You should be able to do that from within Vista. System / System
>> Protection
>> / Advanced / Startup And Recovery / Default Operating System
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> "gadya" <gadya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a similar problem but different.
>> > "The boot configuration data store could not be opened The system
>> > cannot
>> > find the file specified."
>> >
>> > I suspect that this may be because the system partition which contains
>> > the
>> > bootmgr and bcd etc is not the Vista partition but an XP partition.
>> > Everything works OK. I get the option to choose Vista or earlier
>> > operating
>> > systems.
>> > But I want to use BCDedit to change the default entry from Vista to XP
>> > and
>> > get the error message above!
>> > --
>> > Victor

Jon

Re: How do I open the boot configuration store?
"gadya" <gadya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I should be able to, but as I said the BCD file is not seen by BCDedit, and
> similarly when I go to . System / System Protection
> / Advanced / Startup And Recovery / Default Operating System, the drop
> down
> list is greyed out. Interestingly if you enter a value in 'time to display
> list of operating systems' and OK it, it reverts to 0 - which of course
> makes
> sense in the circumstances.
> --
> Victor

Bcedit has a /store options which you can use to access and modify stores on
other partitions eg

bcdedit / enum /store F:\Boot|BCD

enmerates a store on another drive

--
Jon

Jon

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
> Bcedit has a /store options which you can use to access and modify stores
> on other partitions eg
>
> bcdedit / enum /store F:\Boot|BCD
>
> enmerates a store on another drive

Make that

bcdedit /enum /store F:\Boot\BCD

--
Jon

gadya

Re: How do I open the boot configuration store?
Thanks. I had just figured that out.

You can in fact do it as you suggest from the Vista partition, or from the
XP partition, accessing BCDedit fromVista, and in both cases specifying the
address of the store. Commands are then implemented on the specified store
and the boot procedure is modified successfully.

However, the Control panel startup and recovery settings are still not
updated to reflect the change.

--
Victor