A "genuine" Vista losses registration and becomes "not genuine"

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Jose

A "genuine" Vista losses registration and becomes "not genuine"
This is really a bizarre situation. I run Vista Business in a Dell Precision
workstation with a 3.75 mz processor and 4 mb memory. Six months ago, I
upgraded the original XP to Vista in a perfectly legal transaction (although
I have regretted doing the upgrade ever since). Vista had a series of
operational problems, the worst of which was to have the taskbar freeze every
time I opened Windows Explorer.

2 days ago, trying to fix the problem (for the hundredth time) I followed
the suggestion in a newsgroup to open System Configuration, set it to
Diagnostic Startup, and reboot. The idea was to see if the taskbar still
froze while the computer ran in this mode. I did it, and the taskbar did not
freeze.

I shut down the computer for the day. This morning, when I rebooted, I was
faced with a black screen, a message that said my version of VISTA was not
genuine and asked if I wanted to register or buy a new license.

I tried to 1) reenter the key, 2) re-register, 3) run VISTA under reduced
capability, etc. In all cases I got the same message:
"Windows Activation Error"
A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate
Error code 0x8007000D
The Data is Invalid"

In desperation, I tried to restart in Safe Mode. After several failures I
managed to make it run in safe mode. I got rid of the antivirus and any other
profgram that could prevent registration and I ran again the System
Configuration to set it to Normal Startup. And I rebooted.

The system started, but its operation is really flawed:
1. There is a message in the lower right corner that says " Windos Vista,
Build 6000, This copy of Windows is not genuine.
2. I cannot print or use Windows Media Player
3. Internet explorer is very sluggish and I cannot run anything that
requires scripts. In fact I could not open this newsgroup and read messages.
4. I cannot see printers in the network, althought I can access files in
other computers in the network
5. Vista runs much slower than before (which makes my 3.7 mz processor feel
like an ancient 486)

I went through the registration process again. This time it went through,
but the "not genuine" message still shows on the screen.

I used Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to view the registration key stored in
the system It is there and it is correct.

Is there anything else I can do to salvage this Vista installation?
otherwise I will swallow hard and reinstall Windows XP. Next time, I will
think very hard before updating any other computer to Vista.

Any help will be appreciated

Jose

DP

Re: A "genuine" Vista losses registration and becomes "not genuine"
Have you tried talking to a human on the phone when doing the registration?
That's been suggested here a lot when similar problems crop up.

"Jose" <Jose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is really a bizarre situation. I run Vista Business in a Dell
> Precision
> workstation with a 3.75 mz processor and 4 mb memory. Six months ago, I
> upgraded the original XP to Vista in a perfectly legal transaction
> (although
> I have regretted doing the upgrade ever since). Vista had a series of
> operational problems, the worst of which was to have the taskbar freeze
> every
> time I opened Windows Explorer.
>
> 2 days ago, trying to fix the problem (for the hundredth time) I followed
> the suggestion in a newsgroup to open System Configuration, set it to
> Diagnostic Startup, and reboot. The idea was to see if the taskbar still
> froze while the computer ran in this mode. I did it, and the taskbar did
> not
> freeze.
>
> I shut down the computer for the day. This morning, when I rebooted, I was
> faced with a black screen, a message that said my version of VISTA was not
> genuine and asked if I wanted to register or buy a new license.
>
> I tried to 1) reenter the key, 2) re-register, 3) run VISTA under reduced
> capability, etc. In all cases I got the same message:
> "Windows Activation Error"
> A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate
> Error code 0x8007000D
> The Data is Invalid"
>
> In desperation, I tried to restart in Safe Mode. After several failures I
> managed to make it run in safe mode. I got rid of the antivirus and any
> other
> profgram that could prevent registration and I ran again the System
> Configuration to set it to Normal Startup. And I rebooted.
>
> The system started, but its operation is really flawed:
> 1. There is a message in the lower right corner that says " Windos Vista,
> Build 6000, This copy of Windows is not genuine.
> 2. I cannot print or use Windows Media Player
> 3. Internet explorer is very sluggish and I cannot run anything that
> requires scripts. In fact I could not open this newsgroup and read
> messages.
> 4. I cannot see printers in the network, althought I can access files in
> other computers in the network
> 5. Vista runs much slower than before (which makes my 3.7 mz processor
> feel
> like an ancient 486)
>
> I went through the registration process again. This time it went through,
> but the "not genuine" message still shows on the screen.
>
> I used Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to view the registration key stored in
> the system It is there and it is correct.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to salvage this Vista installation?
> otherwise I will swallow hard and reinstall Windows XP. Next time, I will
> think very hard before updating any other computer to Vista.
>
> Any help will be appreciated
>
> Jose

MaryL

> [...]

> 3. Internet explorer is very sluggish and I cannot run anything that
> requires scripts. In fact I could not open this newsgroup and read
> messages.
> 4. I cannot see printers in the network, althought I can access files in
> other computers in the network
> 5. Vista runs much slower than before (which makes my 3.7 mz processor
> feel
> like an ancient 486)
>
> I went through the registration process again. This time it went through,
> but the "not genuine" message still shows on the screen.
>
> I used Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to view the registration key stored in
> the system It is there and it is correct.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to salvage this Vista installation?
> otherwise I will swallow hard and reinstall Windows XP. Next time, I will
> think very hard before updating any other computer to Vista.

I'm not sure that this will help (and I *definitely* am not an expert in
this area). However, I have the full version of Vista Home Premium, which I
opted to buy with my new Dell Inspsiron 530 instead of the OEM version that
shipped with the computer. I have had so many problems with IE constantly
shutting down and giving "program not responding" error message that I don't
remember at which point I had to deal with authorization. However, at one
point, I received a message that indicated that I needed to verify whether I
had a genuine Vista product. I did this by going to the Microsoft site.
Result: MS reported that my copy was not valid, and a message said that an
"unauthorized change" was made and I would no longer receive notifications.
I went back to MS, re-ran their test to check for "genuine" products.
Voila! Now, it was accepted. So, you might want to go to the Microsoft web
site and look up the test to check for validity of MS products.

Incidentally, IE7 has been a real pain for me. I need to check and see if
Vista will accept IE6. It created far fewer problems. I have not had any
trouble with Vista, itself, but IE7 was installed along with Vista.

MaryL

NoStop

Jose wrote:

> This is really a bizarre situation. I run Vista Business in a Dell
> Precision
> workstation with a 3.75 mz processor and 4 mb memory. Six months ago, I
> upgraded the original XP to Vista in a perfectly legal transaction
> (although I have regretted doing the upgrade ever since). Vista had a
> series of operational problems, the worst of which was to have the taskbar
> freeze every time I opened Windows Explorer.
>
> 2 days ago, trying to fix the problem (for the hundredth time) I followed
> the suggestion in a newsgroup to open System Configuration, set it to
> Diagnostic Startup, and reboot. The idea was to see if the taskbar still
> froze while the computer ran in this mode. I did it, and the taskbar did
> not freeze.
>
> I shut down the computer for the day. This morning, when I rebooted, I was
> faced with a black screen, a message that said my version of VISTA was not
> genuine and asked if I wanted to register or buy a new license.
>
> I tried to 1) reenter the key, 2) re-register, 3) run VISTA under reduced
> capability, etc. In all cases I got the same message:
> "Windows Activation Error"
> A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate
> Error code 0x8007000D
> The Data is Invalid"
>
> In desperation, I tried to restart in Safe Mode. After several failures I
> managed to make it run in safe mode. I got rid of the antivirus and any
> other profgram that could prevent registration and I ran again the System
> Configuration to set it to Normal Startup. And I rebooted.
>
> The system started, but its operation is really flawed:
> 1. There is a message in the lower right corner that says " Windos Vista,
> Build 6000, This copy of Windows is not genuine.
> 2. I cannot print or use Windows Media Player
> 3. Internet explorer is very sluggish and I cannot run anything that
> requires scripts. In fact I could not open this newsgroup and read
> messages. 4. I cannot see printers in the network, althought I can access
> files in other computers in the network
> 5. Vista runs much slower than before (which makes my 3.7 mz processor
> feel
> like an ancient 486)
>
> I went through the registration process again. This time it went through,
> but the "not genuine" message still shows on the screen.
>
> I used Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to view the registration key stored in
> the system It is there and it is correct.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to salvage this Vista installation?
> otherwise I will swallow hard and reinstall Windows XP. Next time, I will
> think very hard before updating any other computer to Vista.
>
> Any help will be appreciated
>
> Jose

Contact the Better Business Bureau and let them know how Microsoft ripped
you off. You can also file a complaint with your state's Consumer
Protection Department. You'll probably get nowhere with these actions, but
it'll allow you to waste more time. A solution that really works easily and
quickly and keeps on working, is to go here ...

http://www.ubuntu.com

.... and download the liveCD ISO for your computer, burn the CD from the ISO
image, boot your computer from the CD and install Ubuntu overwriting that
ridiculous toy operating system that treats you like a criminal.

Cheers.

--
What does Bill Gates use?
http://tinyurl.com/2zxhdl

Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.

Be Afraid ... Be Very Afraid ... of Francis' RELATIVES!

Frank, hard at work on his Vista computer all day:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...tm/compost.htm

Alias

NoStop wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Is there anything else I can do to salvage this Vista installation?
>> otherwise I will swallow hard and reinstall Windows XP. Next time, I will
>> think very hard before updating any other computer to Vista.
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated
>>
>> Jose

> Contact the Better Business Bureau and let them know how Microsoft ripped
> you off. You can also file a complaint with your state's Consumer
> Protection Department. You'll probably get nowhere with these actions, but
> it'll allow you to waste more time. A solution that really works easily and
> quickly and keeps on working, is to go here ...
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com
>
> ... and download the liveCD ISO for your computer, burn the CD from the ISO
> image, boot your computer from the CD and install Ubuntu overwriting that
> ridiculous toy operating system that treats you like a criminal.

Vista's one of the best things that's ever happened for Open Source. Now
that MS has tightened the "you are a thief until you activate and
genuine yourself to death", people are getting sick of it. Soon, Gates
will be saying what he said when Windows came out, "If they steal
*anything*, I want it to be my software" but he ain't no come back kid.

Alias

"Alias" <iamalias@removethisgmail.com> wrote in message
> NoStop wrote:

> Vista's one of the best things that's ever happened for Open Source. Now
> that MS has tightened the "you are a thief until you activate and genuine
> yourself to death", people are getting sick of it. Soon, Gates will be
> saying what he said when Windows came out, "If they steal *anything*, I
> want it to be my software" but he ain't no come back kid.

And yet, MS deactivated the "kill switch" to make things easier on users.
So, that argument cuts both ways.

Meanwhile, WalMart finds it can't make money on Linux computers. Does that
translate into No Demand for Linux?

Frank

DP wrote:

> "Alias" <iamalias@removethisgmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> NoStop wrote:

>> Vista's one of the best things that's ever happened for Open Source.
>> Now that MS has tightened the "you are a thief until you activate and
>> genuine yourself to death", people are getting sick of it. Soon, Gates
>> will be saying what he said when Windows came out, "If they steal
>> *anything*, I want it to be my software" but he ain't no come back kid.
>>

> And yet, MS deactivated the "kill switch" to make things easier on
> users. So, that argument cuts both ways.
>
> Meanwhile, WalMart finds it can't make money on Linux computers. Does
> that translate into No Demand for Linux?

Yeah and Dell dropped to #3 after offering linux. Linux is like a poison
to computer retailers. Also after Vista came out, linux started to lost
market share every month and it continues to this day.
alias and nostop are butt-buddies and linux zealot fanatics. They're
both broke, lying scumbags who are jealous of all Vista users.
IOW's they're real losers...LOL!
Frank
dennis@home

"NoStop" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> will
>> think very hard before updating any other computer to Vista.
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated
>>
>> Jose

> Contact the Better Business Bureau and let them know how Microsoft ripped
> you off. You can also file a complaint with your state's Consumer
> Protection Department. You'll probably get nowhere with these actions, but
> it'll allow you to waste more time. A solution that really works easily
> and
> quickly and keeps on working, is to go here ...
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com
>
> ... and download the liveCD ISO for your computer, burn the CD from the
> ISO
> image, boot your computer from the CD and install Ubuntu overwriting that
> ridiculous toy operating system that treats you like a criminal.

That is a brilliant solution for someone that has trouble with IE7, not!
If he has trouble with IE7 just imagine the problems with the selection of
browsers you get with Ubuntu.. some work on this site but not that, some the
other way around, none work on as many sites as IE6 which he wants and
probably not as many as IE7 which he has problems with.

Just proves you are nothing but a troll and are not here to help.

Advice to the OP and anyone else just ignore nostop and alias they do not
have *your* interests in mind.

Alias

DP wrote:

> "Alias" <iamalias@removethisgmail.com> wrote in message
>> NoStop wrote:

>> Vista's one of the best things that's ever happened for Open Source.
>> Now that MS has tightened the "you are a thief until you activate and
>> genuine yourself to death", people are getting sick of it. Soon, Gates
>> will be saying what he said when Windows came out, "If they steal
>> *anything*, I want it to be my software" but he ain't no come back kid.
>>

> And yet, MS deactivated the "kill switch" to make things easier on
> users.

Under intense pressure. I hear the WGA tool will be in XP's SP3.

> So, that argument cuts both ways.

No, same old same old.

> Meanwhile, WalMart finds it can't make money on Linux computers. Does
> that translate into No Demand for Linux?

No, that translates into Wal-Mart not knowing how to market Linux.

Alias
Alias

Frank wrote:
> DP wrote:
>>
>> "Alias" <iamalias@removethisgmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> NoStop wrote:

>>> Vista's one of the best things that's ever happened for Open Source.
>>> Now that MS has tightened the "you are a thief until you activate and
>>> genuine yourself to death", people are getting sick of it. Soon,
>>> Gates will be saying what he said when Windows came out, "If they
>>> steal *anything*, I want it to be my software" but he ain't no come
>>> back kid.
>>>

>> And yet, MS deactivated the "kill switch" to make things easier on
>> users. So, that argument cuts both ways.
>>
>> Meanwhile, WalMart finds it can't make money on Linux computers. Does
>> that translate into No Demand for Linux?

First the lies:

> Yeah and Dell dropped to #3 after offering linux. Linux is like a poison
> to computer retailers. Also after Vista came out, linux started to lost
> market share every month and it continues to this day.

Now the insults:

> alias and nostop are butt-buddies and linux zealot fanatics. They're
> both broke, lying scumbags who are jealous of all Vista users.
> IOW's they're real losers...LOL!
> Frank

You don't know what you're talking about but what else is new?

Alias