A better way to defrag your hard disk

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

On the Bridge!

A better way to defrag your hard disk
Dedicated to the idiot, racist, nazi-like ALEXB who insists that the vista
defrag is the best thing
since sliced bread and irreplaceable.. what an idiot...

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13880_1-988...=2547-1_3-0-20

it just so happens that they are recommending the same defrag free program,
and for the SAME reason as I did.... great minds think alike... and alexB
thinks like an idiot... (third time I called him that in one post... oh boy
he deserves it!)

"Windows' own Disk Defragmenter is a slug compared to Auslogics'
alternative. At least in XP, you got some feedback while the Windows
defragger was working; Vista doesn't give you a clue what's happening after
you click the Defragment Now button, other than to let you know that the
process could take from a few minutes to a few hours (my bet's on the
latter). I know many people scoff at the dancing colored blocks on the map
as pointless, but I kinda like 'em. "

--
What people are REALLY saying about Vista:
http://www.microsplot.com/news/2007/..._windows_vista

50 Ways to leave your Vista....

CHORUS:

You just format the drive , Clive
Get a New Mac , Jack
Y'don't need that crap toy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Boot from a *nix, Jix
You don't need to discuss much
Install XP, Lee
And get yourself free

On the Bridge!

Re: A better way to defrag your hard disk
ahh...

I just remember.. that idiot (forth time) naziluving, racist, ALEXB, called
me a crook and a malware writer because I recomended this free defrag
program... what an idiot (fifth time).

I guess that makes CNET also a crook and malware writer that is out to get
to his PC...

lol what an idiot... (sixth time)

"On the Bridge!" <On@the,Bridge> wrote in message
> Dedicated to the idiot, racist, nazi-like ALEXB who insists that the vista
> defrag is the best thing
> since sliced bread and irreplaceable.. what an idiot...
>
> http://www.cnet.com/8301-13880_1-988...=2547-1_3-0-20
>
> it just so happens that they are recommending the same defrag free
> program, and for the SAME reason as I did.... great minds think alike...
> and alexB thinks like an idiot... (third time I called him that in one
> post... oh boy he deserves it!)
>
> "Windows' own Disk Defragmenter is a slug compared to Auslogics'
> alternative. At least in XP, you got some feedback while the Windows
> defragger was working; Vista doesn't give you a clue what's happening
> after you click the Defragment Now button, other than to let you know that
> the process could take from a few minutes to a few hours (my bet's on the
> latter). I know many people scoff at the dancing colored blocks on the map
> as pointless, but I kinda like 'em. "
>

> --
> What people are REALLY saying about Vista:
> http://www.microsplot.com/news/2007/..._windows_vista
>
> 50 Ways to leave your Vista....
>
> CHORUS:
>
> You just format the drive , Clive
> Get a New Mac , Jack
> Y'don't need that crap toy, Roy
> Just get yourself free
> Boot from a *nix, Jix
> You don't need to discuss much
> Install XP, Lee
> And get yourself free

On the Bridge!

Re: A better way to defrag your hard disk
the poster of that article is:

Posts by Dennis O'Reilly
Dennis O'Reilly has covered PCs and other technologies in print and online
since 1985. Along with more than a decade as editor for Ziff-Davis's
Computer Select, Dennis edited PC World's award-winning Here's How section
for more than seven years. He is a member of the CNET blog Network, and is
not an employee of CNET.

so he has been in the computer arena for at least 23 years... thats more
that AlexBs total age..

what a smuck... and what a creep that alexb

"On the Bridge!" <On@the,Bridge> wrote in message
> Dedicated to the idiot, racist, nazi-like ALEXB who insists that the vista
> defrag is the best thing
> since sliced bread and irreplaceable.. what an idiot...
>
> http://www.cnet.com/8301-13880_1-988...=2547-1_3-0-20
>
> it just so happens that they are recommending the same defrag free
> program, and for the SAME reason as I did.... great minds think alike...
> and alexB thinks like an idiot... (third time I called him that in one
> post... oh boy he deserves it!)
>
> "Windows' own Disk Defragmenter is a slug compared to Auslogics'
> alternative. At least in XP, you got some feedback while the Windows
> defragger was working; Vista doesn't give you a clue what's happening
> after you click the Defragment Now button, other than to let you know that
> the process could take from a few minutes to a few hours (my bet's on the
> latter). I know many people scoff at the dancing colored blocks on the map
> as pointless, but I kinda like 'em. "
>

> --
> What people are REALLY saying about Vista:
> http://www.microsplot.com/news/2007/..._windows_vista
>
> 50 Ways to leave your Vista....
>
> CHORUS:
>
> You just format the drive , Clive
> Get a New Mac , Jack
> Y'don't need that crap toy, Roy
> Just get yourself free
> Boot from a *nix, Jix
> You don't need to discuss much
> Install XP, Lee
> And get yourself free

ray

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:56:15 +0200, On the Bridge! wrote:

> Dedicated to the idiot, racist, nazi-like ALEXB who insists that the
> vista defrag is the best thing
> since sliced bread and irreplaceable.. what an idiot...
>
> http://www.cnet.com/8301-13880_1-9887297-68.html?

part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

> it just so happens that they are recommending the same defrag free
> program, and for the SAME reason as I did.... great minds think
> alike... and alexB thinks like an idiot... (third time I called him that
> in one post... oh boy he deserves it!)
>
> "Windows' own Disk Defragmenter is a slug compared to Auslogics'
> alternative. At least in XP, you got some feedback while the Windows
> defragger was working; Vista doesn't give you a clue what's happening
> after you click the Defragment Now button, other than to let you know
> that the process could take from a few minutes to a few hours (my bet's
> on the latter). I know many people scoff at the dancing colored blocks
> on the map as pointless, but I kinda like 'em. "

Or one could move to a modern filesystem which does not need
defragmenting and obviate the entire process.
bamboozle

Re: A better way to defrag your hard disk
modern as in linux that is 20 years old? lol

dennis@home

"bamboozle" <bamb@oozle.com> wrote in message
> "ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message

>> Or one could move to a modern filesystem which does not need
>> defragmenting and obviate the entire process.

> modern as in linux that is 20 years old? lol

You have to remember that the linux guys still use FAT32 (note 1) when they
use windows and that did need defragging.
NTFS does not need to be defragged but like all disk based systems,
including the latest linux ones, benefit from optimisation which is what the
vista defragger does in the background.

Note 1: most linux users use FAT32 for windows support because Linux can't
reliably handle NTFS and they get problems using NTFS. This suits them
anyway as it perpetuates their *erroneous* belief that you have to defrag
windows but not linux.

Anyway to the OP and anyone that wants to defrag Vista, just let Vista do
its work in the background and forget about all the fancy displays, etc. it
works fine. The add on utils will show fragmentation but that is because
vista doesn't move stuff if it is not going to see an improvement in
performance so it still leaves some files in "fragments" just like the linux
file systems do.

bamboozle

Re: A better way to defrag your hard disk
hello, you are believing in a myth postulated by microsoft when they made
NT, but was fast to backpedal it very fast because the whole world was
laughing...

NTFS needs defrag... you can do some serious reasearch although the web is
contaminated by misinformation still floating around from back then...

dennis@home

> hello, you are believing in a myth postulated by microsoft when they made
> NT, but was fast to backpedal it very fast because the whole world was
> laughing...
>
> NTFS needs defrag... you can do some serious reasearch although the web is
> contaminated by misinformation still floating around from back then...

You are just spreading FUD.
Name one occasion where NTFS has had to be defragged.
Its like *all* disk based file systems.. you can make it faster by
optimisation.. commonly referred to as defrag by those that don't
understand.
FAT has problems allocating space if you let it fragment too much and does
need defragging, but it is a very old file system.
You can run NTFS systems for years without defragging just like you can run
Linux systems.

R. McCarty

Re: A better way to defrag your hard disk
You CAN run an NTFS system for years without defrag. However,
it will be fragmented. Just yesterday I worked on a system that was
4+ years old and had never been defragmented. The fragmentation
level was severe. You cannot get around the physics of a hard drive.

> "bamboozle" <bamb@oozle.com> wrote in message
>> hello, you are believing in a myth postulated by microsoft when they made
>> NT, but was fast to backpedal it very fast because the whole world was
>> laughing...
>>
>> NTFS needs defrag... you can do some serious reasearch although the web
>> is contaminated by misinformation still floating around from back then...

> You are just spreading FUD.
> Name one occasion where NTFS has had to be defragged.
> Its like *all* disk based file systems.. you can make it faster by
> optimisation.. commonly referred to as defrag by those that don't
> understand.
> FAT has problems allocating space if you let it fragment too much and does
> need defragging, but it is a very old file system.
> You can run NTFS systems for years without defragging just like you can
> run Linux systems.

occam

dennis@home wrote:

> Its like *all* disk based file systems.. you can make it faster by
> optimisation.. commonly referred to as defrag by those that don't
> understand.

I know this is a vista nG. But if you go into your (NTFS) XP

Start>> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Defragmenter

and click the 'Analyse' button, you will get many indices of disk
fragmentation, as provided by the built-in MS defragmenter.

I guess they do not understand the difference between 'fragmentation'
and 'optimisation'. Silly them!