How to contact Microsoft

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Pete

Re: How to contact Microsoft
Hi C.B.
A BIG "Thank you" again for your second lengthy eMail .
I am running Vista Ultimate.
I am using: "Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Fingerprint
Reader". This is a set.
After installing the software, the fingerprint icon appears in the bottom
taskbar, the
fingerprint device glows red, I put my finger on it to register, then I get
a small window with the warning:
"Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem".
In "Control Panel>System>Device manager>Biometric\Microsoft Fingerprint
Reader" under "General" it tells me:
This device is working properly. Under "Driver" it shows:
DigitalPersona, Inc
9/16/2006
Driver Version 3.0.0.187
microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher

Microsoft Vista lies to me without even getting red in the face, "This
device is working properly".
Shame on you, Billy Boy !!!
*********************************
I sent the following to a group January 4th:
Hi group,
I am trying to get the Fingerprint Reader to work, but no luck!
When I start the "Fingerprint registration wizard', I get the following
message:
"Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem." I have
un-installed, re-installed at least 10times. no luck.
I got the newest software from MicroSoft, DPPM_201_ENG.exe. (it says: VISTA
Compatible).Mouse works just fine. I googled for an answer, I found the same
problem that others also have, but nobody had an answer. I installed also
under Windows XP, there it works perfectly with the same installation
software.
Checked at the MS-knowledge base, fix recommendations are more than 2 years
old, tried it anyway, still no luck. Changed USB ports, ran it as Windows XP
compatible, tried really everything, I am really at a loss. Hopefully
someone out there has/had the same problem and got it working? After 2 days
of trying I'm really getting..., well you know what I mean!

***************************************
I will try all of your suggestions.
Btw., are you also using - DPPM_201_ENG.exe - for your fingerprint reader or
something else?
If it is different, maybe it could work for me?
Again, thanks a bunch for your help and I'll let you know if I make any
headway.

--
(\__/)
(O.o)

C.B.

Re: How to contact Microsoft

"Pete" <petgol@arcor.de> wrote in message
> Hi C.B.
> A BIG "Thank you" again for your second lengthy eMail .
> I am running Vista Ultimate.
> I am using: "Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Fingerprint
> Reader". This is a set.
> After installing the software, the fingerprint icon appears in the bottom
> taskbar, the
> fingerprint device glows red, I put my finger on it to register, then I
> get a small window with the warning:
> "Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem".
> In "Control Panel>System>Device manager>Biometric\Microsoft Fingerprint
> Reader" under "General" it tells me:
> This device is working properly. Under "Driver" it shows:
> DigitalPersona, Inc
> 9/16/2006
> Driver Version 3.0.0.187
> microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher
>
> Microsoft Vista lies to me without even getting red in the face, "This
> device is working properly".
> Shame on you, Billy Boy !!!
> *********************************

Pete,

Try this link. Uninstall your software and reinstall it. Maybe
you'll get lucky.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo.../Download.mspx

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

C.B.

Re: How to contact Microsoft

"C.B." <notreallyc.b.mullen@windowslive.com> wrote in message

> "Pete" <petgol@arcor.de> wrote in message
>> Hi C.B.
>> A BIG "Thank you" again for your second lengthy eMail .
>> I am running Vista Ultimate.
>> I am using: "Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Fingerprint
>> Reader". This is a set.
>> After installing the software, the fingerprint icon appears in the bottom
>> taskbar, the
>> fingerprint device glows red, I put my finger on it to register, then I
>> get a small window with the warning:
>> "Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem".
>> In "Control Panel>System>Device manager>Biometric\Microsoft Fingerprint
>> Reader" under "General" it tells me:
>> This device is working properly. Under "Driver" it shows:
>> DigitalPersona, Inc
>> 9/16/2006
>> Driver Version 3.0.0.187
>> microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher
>>
>> Microsoft Vista lies to me without even getting red in the face, "This
>> device is working properly".
>> Shame on you, Billy Boy !!!
>> *********************************

> Pete,
>
> Try this link. Uninstall your software and reinstall it. Maybe
> you'll get lucky.

Sorry. Let me be more specific. Uninstall your software and
reinstall it by downloading the software from the following link. Don't
reinstall from your installation disk.

> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo.../Download.mspx
>
> C.B.
>

> --
> It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
> and unfortunate among us.

C.B.

Re: How to contact Microsoft

"Pete" <petgol@arcor.de> wrote in message
> Hi C.B.
> A BIG "Thank you" again for your second lengthy eMail .
> I am running Vista Ultimate.
> I am using: "Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Fingerprint
> Reader". This is a set.
> After installing the software, the fingerprint icon appears in the bottom
> taskbar, the
> fingerprint device glows red, I put my finger on it to register, then I
> get a small window with the warning:
> "Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem".
> In "Control Panel>System>Device manager>Biometric\Microsoft Fingerprint
> Reader" under "General" it tells me:
> This device is working properly. Under "Driver" it shows:
> DigitalPersona, Inc
> 9/16/2006
> Driver Version 3.0.0.187
> microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher
>
> Microsoft Vista lies to me without even getting red in the face, "This
> device is working properly".
> Shame on you, Billy Boy !!!
> *********************************

Pete,

Something else I forgot to mention. When you go to the Microsoft
download link I sent you just make sure you download and SAVE the file to
your location of choice. The file you should download is IP32Eng6.20.182.0.
Once you save it to your desktop or another location you should right click
on the file and select Properties. At the bottom of the Properties window
click on "Unblock", click Apply and then OK. Right click on the file again
and choose "Run as Administrator".

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Pete

Re: How to contact Microsoft
Hi C.B.
Thanks again for all your help!
I've tried really everything and did everything, as you suggested.
All my settings are identical to the settings you have. As soon as I start
the fingerprint registration wizard I still get:
"Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem".
I am a bit confused about you saying that
"The file you should download is IP32Eng6.20.182.0.
Once you save it to your desktop or another location you should
right click
on the file and select Properties. At the bottom of the Properties
window
click on "Unblock", click Apply and then OK. Right click on the file
again
and choose "Run as Administrator".
At the bottom of the Properties window is no "unblock" !

I have already tried IP32Eng6.20.182.0. (2 months ago). But, that is ONLY
for the mouse.
For the Fingerprint Reader I need to install DPPM_201ENG.
Really confusing to me is the Microsoft Download page.
1. Select type of product: I select "Mouse"
2. Select your product: I select "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with
Fingerprint Reader".
.............Now I assume that this means that the Fingerprint Software is
also included with this download, but it is not!
3. Select your operating system: I select "Windows Vista (32bit only)"
4. Select your operating system language: I select "English (US)

When downloading software for the Fingerprint Reader:
1. I select Fingerprint Reader
2. I select Fingerprint Reader
3. and 4. the same as above

When installing I have to look at the underside of the mouse and it says:
"Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0"

The problem is simply that I can not register my fingerprint, so I can't get
Internet Explorer to function either> GRRRRRRR!
"Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem" Yeah, I think
there is no installation problem, it clearly checks out as being enabled!
Believe me, I've been sitting here for more than 7 hours installing,
uninstalling and rebooting. I am going to make myself a good strong cup o'
coffee!
Otherwise they have to call the men in white coats!
greetings from

> Hi C.B.
> Thanks again for all your help!
> I've tried really everything and did everything, as you suggested.
> All my settings are identical to the settings you have. As soon as I start
> the fingerprint registration wizard I still get:
> "Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem".
> I am a bit confused about you saying that
> "The file you should download is IP32Eng6.20.182.0.
> Once you save it to your desktop or another location you should
> right click
> on the file and select Properties. At the bottom of the Properties
> window
> click on "Unblock", click Apply and then OK. Right click on the
> file again
> and choose "Run as Administrator".
> At the bottom of the Properties window is no "unblock" !
>
> I have already tried IP32Eng6.20.182.0. (2 months ago). But, that is ONLY
> for the mouse.
> For the Fingerprint Reader I need to install DPPM_201ENG.
> Really confusing to me is the Microsoft Download page.
> 1. Select type of product: I select "Mouse"
> 2. Select your product: I select "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with
> Fingerprint Reader".
> ............Now I assume that this means that the Fingerprint Software is
> also included with this download, but it is not!
> 3. Select your operating system: I select "Windows Vista (32bit only)"
> 4. Select your operating system language: I select "English (US)
>
> When downloading software for the Fingerprint Reader:
> 1. I select Fingerprint Reader
> 2. I select Fingerprint Reader
> 3. and 4. the same as above
>
> When installing I have to look at the underside of the mouse and it says:
> "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0"
>
> The problem is simply that I can not register my fingerprint, so I can't
> get Internet Explorer to function either> GRRRRRRR!
> "Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem" Yeah, I think
> there is no installation problem, it clearly checks out as being enabled!
> Believe me, I've been sitting here for more than 7 hours installing,
> uninstalling and rebooting. I am going to make myself a good strong cup o'
> coffee!
> Otherwise they have to call the men in white coats!
> greetings from
> Pete

Pete,

I have apparently misunderstood you. I thought your fingerprint reader
was in your mouse. Is the fingerprint reader in your mouse, on your keyboard
or is it a standalone fingerprint reader connected via USB?
I also noticed you said your setup is wireless. Does your fingerprint
reader connect via USB or is it wireless? If your fingerprint reader is
wireless you could be receiving interference from any device that emits
radio signals. Do you have an electrical appliance nearby, or do you have a
wireless telephone transmitter nearby? You could always try resetting the
channel for your mouse and/or keyboard by turning them over and pushing in
the button on the bottom. Also, if your fingerprint reader is wireless you
may have inserted the receiver into a non-working USB port. Try another USB
port.
The setup file for my fingerprint reader, which is a standalone USB
connected reader, is DPPM_201_ENG.exe. When I installed the program it also
installed the application "Windows Live Installer", which showed up in my
list of installed programs. Windows Live Installer was not on my system
until I installed the fingerprint reader. I simply deleted it and everything
was fine.
Before you do any of the following, set a System Restore point on your
computer. Also, if you delete anything in the following folders do not
delete it from your Recycle Bin until you are sure everything is working OK.
Go to your C Drive and open the Windows folder. Do you have an entry in
this folder for Windows Live Installer? If so, delete the entry. If nothing
there, see the next paragraph.
Go to your Digital Persona folder in Program Files and open it. Click
on the Bin folder. Do you have each of the entries listed in the file I have
attached? Also, look in Program Files for any Microsoft IntelliPoint or
Microsoft IntelliType folders. Open these folders and see if you have an
entry for Windows Live Installer. If so, delete the entry.
If you find nothing there, while in Program Files click on and open the
"Common Files" folder, click on the "microsoft shared" folder and then the
"Windows Live" folder. Do you have a listing for the Windows Live Installer.
If so, delete the entry.
Don't give up. No problem can be overcome if you cease to try to find
the solution.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

C.B.

Re: How to contact Microsoft

"Pete" <petgol@arcor.de> wrote in message
> Hi C.B.
> Thanks again for all your help!
> I've tried really everything and did everything, as you suggested.
> All my settings are identical to the settings you have. As soon as I start
> the fingerprint registration wizard I still get:
> "Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem".
> I am a bit confused about you saying that
> "The file you should download is IP32Eng6.20.182.0.
> Once you save it to your desktop or another location you should
> right click
> on the file and select Properties. At the bottom of the Properties
> window
> click on "Unblock", click Apply and then OK. Right click on the
> file again
> and choose "Run as Administrator".
> At the bottom of the Properties window is no "unblock" !
>
> I have already tried IP32Eng6.20.182.0. (2 months ago). But, that is ONLY
> for the mouse.
> For the Fingerprint Reader I need to install DPPM_201ENG.
> Really confusing to me is the Microsoft Download page.
> 1. Select type of product: I select "Mouse"
> 2. Select your product: I select "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with
> Fingerprint Reader".
> ............Now I assume that this means that the Fingerprint Software is
> also included with this download, but it is not!
> 3. Select your operating system: I select "Windows Vista (32bit only)"
> 4. Select your operating system language: I select "English (US)
>
> When downloading software for the Fingerprint Reader:
> 1. I select Fingerprint Reader
> 2. I select Fingerprint Reader
> 3. and 4. the same as above
>
> When installing I have to look at the underside of the mouse and it says:
> "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0"
>
> The problem is simply that I can not register my fingerprint, so I can't
> get Internet Explorer to function either> GRRRRRRR!
> "Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem" Yeah, I think
> there is no installation problem, it clearly checks out as being enabled!
> Believe me, I've been sitting here for more than 7 hours installing,
> uninstalling and rebooting. I am going to make myself a good strong cup o'
> coffee!
> Otherwise they have to call the men in white coats!
> greetings from
> Pete

Pete,

I just thought of something else. I just happened to notice, in one of
your previous replies, that your problem is that you cannot register your
fingerprints. I completely missed this, until now. You know, even when
Microsoft was trying for days to get my fingerprint reader to work, I could
ALWAYS register my fingerprints. The registering of the fingerprints always
worked and the fingerprint reader would ALWAYS work for logging into Windows
but not on any login webpage.
You may have a corrupted user account. Let's try this; it won't take
long. Go to Control Panel, User Accounts. Click on Manage another account
and in the new window click on Create a new account. Choose whichever name
you wish for the account and make it an Administrator account. The name
should be different from the account you normally use. You must create a
password for it as the fingerprint reader will not work on an account with
no password. It can be the same password you use on your regular
Administrator account, it doesn't really matter. You will be deleting this
account when you are done running this test.
Now, you have just created a new, clean account that is not corrupted
in any fashion. Reboot your computer and select this new account to log
into. If the fingerprint icon shows up on the welcome screen simply click on
"Switch User" below the icon and select the new account. Your fingerprint
reader will recognize this new account as being different from your regular
account and will allow you to register your fingerprints. If you are not
offered the option to register your fingerprints simply click on your
fingerprint icon in the taskbar and select "Fingerprint Registration
Wizard".
Let me know how it goes.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Pete

Re: How to contact Microsoft
Hi C.B.
I used to work for Circuit City in Richmond, Va. some years ago. A fellow
employee had the name Charly Mullen.
I know it's a long shot, but could you be that guy? Do you live in Virginia?
Just asking, just curious!

Anyway, I tried ALL of your suggestions, but no go!
I had already created a new user account a while back as an admin. I tried
again. The same problem!
As soon as I put my thumb or finger on the reader, it tells me:
"Error Invalid class string. Suspect installation problem". It tells me the
same, even after a new installation and a reboot
If I rclick on the taskbar reader icon and click on Registration wizard, or
in the start menu on Registration wizard I get the same message.
In one of your previous mails you suggested: At the bottom of the Properties
window is "unblock" , but there is NO "unblock". I am confused!
I also opened DPPM_201ENG with a hexeditor to look inside, there is absolute
no mention of LiveMail or the installer. If there was, it would have
installed on my computer, since you had said it installed on yours, as
reference The size of my DPPM_201ENG is 8.579.136 bytes. I just can't
believe that DPPM_201Eng
installed Windows LiveMail!
:
Just for the heck of it, google for "Error Invalid class string. Suspect
installation problem"
You'll be surprised how many people have this problem with that darned
Fingerprint reader, but nobody can help.
Like I said, I just live with it, I will not do a complete new Vista
Installation.

My woman is already getting quite p.o'd at me (today again 7 hours without
results trying to solve this problem)

Thanks again for all of your very, very, very much appreciated help.
Here's a link to show you what I use:
Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Fingerprint Reader Review
http://www.activewin.com/reviews/har...mice/wimefing/

I had posted this problem in December 2007 to
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware,
and others.
Nobody could really help me with the same problem.
A guy named Renegade78 had this problem too, he got in touch with Microsoft
Support by phone.
On 1-21-2008, He wrote:
*******
Well, Microsoft rang me back...
Apparently this is one of the one in 200 problems for which Microsoft
have no solution.
The only way to get it to work is to re-install the OS. Decided to use
it with my work computer instead!! Works fine on Vista on this one!

So I suppose that concludes it... Microsoft can't fix it.
renegade78
*******
(\__/)
(O.o)
(> < ) and ......
There's NOT always a light at the end of a tunnel !
Long live Clem Kadiddlehopper !!!
Thanks and greetings

> Hi C.B.
> I used to work for Circuit City in Richmond, Va. some years ago. A fellow
> employee had the name Charly Mullen.
> I know it's a long shot, but could you be that guy? Do you live in
> Virginia?
> Just asking, just curious!

<snip>

Hey Pete,

I'll tell you what. Have your wife send me an email so that she can
tell me to leave you alone. Maybe I can send you a screenshot of myself and
your wife can throw knives at it all day. Just a joke.
Anyway, I am convinced you have a corrupted installation. Since you
don't want to do a reinstall of your OS let's try to clean up all the old
fingerprint entries in your registry and then reinstall your fingerprint
reader software. My Microsoft fingerprint reader is different from yours but
uses the same software.
First, remove your fingerprint reader USB plug from your computer and
leave it unplugged. I will let you know when to put it back in.
Next, go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and uninstall your
DigitalPersona software. See the screenshot below.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Remove_D...ftware7358.JPG

Next, go to your C Drive, Program Files and remove the DigitalPersona
program file if it has not already been removed. See the screenshot below.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Remove_D...m_file7359.JPG

Now, we will go to your registry and remove any old and/or corrupted
DigitalPersona registry entries. Please back up your registry or make a
manual System Restore point before performing these actions. Open your run
dialog box (Click on Start, Accessories and then Run) and type "regedit"
without the quotation marks. Hit Enter or OK. See the screenshot below.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Microsoft_FR__087360.JPG

You are now in your registry. Go to your menu bar and click on "Edit".
See the screenshot below.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Microsoft_FR__097361.JPG

Once you have clicked on "Edit" you will be presented with the
following "Find" or "Find Next" window. In this window you will want to type
the words DigitalPersona and click the "Find Next" button. See the
screenshot below.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Microsoft_FR__107362.JPG

This will take you to a DigitalPersona registry entry such as the one
shown in the screenshot below. It may or may not be the same entry. It
doesn't matter. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE this is a DigitalPersona entry. Hover
your mouse over the registry entry to be sure. If it doesn't say
DigitalPersona do not delete it. However, if it does say DigitalPersona you
can safely delete it. For example, you may find an entry that says
"DigitalPersonalFruitcake" and DigitalPersona is part of this listing, such
as (DigitalPersona)l Fruitcake. So, in this case, you would not want to
delete this registry entry because it has nothing to do with DigitalPersona
software. Do you understand what I am trying to say? You MUST hover your
mouse pointer over each and every entry to make sure you are deleting only a
DigitalPersona entry. See the example in the screenshot below.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Microsoft_FR__117363.JPG

Now, go back to the menu bar in the registry and click on "Edit" again
and then click on "Find Next" again and delete the next DigitalPersona
entry. Do this over and over and over again until you have deleted all the
old DigitalPersona registry entries. There could be many, many
DigitalPersona entries in several different locations of your registry. Any
old DigitalPersona registry entry, including the driver, if corrupted, can
cause your new installation to fail. When you have finally deleted the last
entry you will get a window that says "Finished searching the Registry". You
have now removed all the old and/or corrupted DigitalPersona entries in your
registry and this will allow for a clean reinstall of your Microsoft
Fingerprint Reader. Close the registry.
My fingerprint reader is a different model from yours. Mine looks like
the one shown in the screenshot below but they both use the same software.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Microsoft_FR__017364.JPG

Next is the screenshot of the download page for the digital fingerprint
reader software. I'm sure you've been to this page many times. Click on it
and download it.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Microsoft_FR__037368.JPG

The next screenshot is the file you will want to download,
DigitalPersona Password Manager 2.0, although it is actually 2.0.1 (201).
Don't click on "Run". Click on "Save" and save it to your Desktop. You have
probably downloaded this file many times. See below.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Microsoft_FR__047367.JPG

Once you have downloaded it to your Desktop the file will look like the
screenshot below.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Microsoft_FR__057369.JPG

Right click on this file on your Desktop and you will see the
Properties window shown in the screenshot below. You will notice the
"Unblock" button at the bottom right. Click on "Unblock", click on Apply and
then click on OK. You have now unblocked the file.

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Microsoft_FR__067370.JPG

Right click on the file located on your Desktop one more time and
select "Run as Administrator" listed in the right-click menu. If you don't
see a "Run as Administrator" listing hold down on the Shift key when you
right click. This will install the program to your Program Files. Let the
software run and DO NOT plug in your fingerprint reader USB plug until you
are prompted to do so by your software.
Once you have reinstalled the software you can move the setup file to
the location of your choice on your hard drive for future use or you can
simply delete it. You do not need the setup file since the software has
already been installed. If you are presented with the Fingerprint
Registration Wizard window at this time you should go ahead and see if you
can now register your fingerprints. If successful, go to any login page and
try to use it. I'm sure you're familiar with the process since you said you
have previously used in on XP. If it now works you should reboot your
computer to get rid of any unnecessary installation files.
If you cannot get it to work you can click on the link below and
install the "Take Ownership" registry key in your registry. Once this key is
installed you can go back to your Program Files, locate the DigitalPersona
Program folder, right click on it (you may have to hold down the Shift key
before you right click on it) and select "Take Ownership" of the folder.
This will give your User Account ownership of this folder and eliminate any
"Permission" problems.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

Here is a screenshot of the file you will want to download in order to
"Take Ownership".

http://imagegrotto.com/view-Take_Ownership7371.JPG

If these steps do not allow you to use the fingerprint reader then
something in your system is preventing it from working and nothing short of
a complete reinstall of your OS is going to fix it.
I hope these steps enable you to use your software. Please let me know
if it works. If not, I'll continue to research the issue. I simply refuse to
give up. That's not the way I do things. Tell your wife I'm sorry I've
irritated her with all my suggestions.
Anyway, keep in mind that you can always do a reformat and clean
reinstall (choose Custom, not Upgrade) of your Vista OS. It's not that big
of a deal. Simply save all of your programs, files and data to an external
hard drive and install them again.
When you first installed Vista, did you do a clean (Custom) install or
did you upgrade over your existing XP OS? If you did an upgrade instead of a
clean install you could have some old XP registry entries that are
interfering with your fingerprint reader.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

SeanP

Re: How to contact Microsoft
Appreciate all the suggestions, but nothing has worked for me. I have owned
the Fingerprint Reader for 1 year with little issues on a Vista Home 32 bit
system.
Came into work Monday the 10th, and it would not recognize website logins.
It reads my fingerprint but will not fill in Id/passwords. I can ven get ito
the login manager to view my passwords, but it won't recognize my old logins
or create new ones. it seems to work the same as it always has, it just won't
fill in anything on the website. I have wasted 6 hours trying everything i
could find online, except for complete re-install. I am at the point of just
giving up and going to the FingerAuth software for Firefox, 30-day trial and
see if it will resolve on its own.

I can't waste anymore time messing with something Microsoft Support cares
very little for. if they did they would have come out with newer versions by
now. 1 software update in 3 years should tell you something about the
priority of this hardware/software for them.