Cannot Delete Shortcut from Desktop!!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

A Baffled User

Cannot Delete Shortcut from Desktop!!
I'm beginning to wonder if Windows Vista Home Premium exists for the sole
purpose of preventing me from getting anything accomplished. I am the sole
user, with administrative privileges, of this machine. Still, when I just
attempted to delete an unwanted shortcut from my desktop, I couldn't.
Message says, "Location is not available. C:\ is not accessible. Access is
denied."

The same thing happens for every file on the desktop I try to delete. What
the heck is going on here???

Joan

gls858

Re: Cannot Delete Shortcut from Desktop!!
A Baffled User wrote:
> I'm beginning to wonder if Windows Vista Home Premium exists for the sole
> purpose of preventing me from getting anything accomplished. I am the sole
> user, with administrative privileges, of this machine. Still, when I just
> attempted to delete an unwanted shortcut from my desktop, I couldn't.
> Message says, "Location is not available. C:\ is not accessible. Access is
> denied."
>
> The same thing happens for every file on the desktop I try to delete. What
> the heck is going on here???
>
> Joan

I had a similar experience with a file. It turned out that in fact it
was gone but still in the index when I reran the index they disappeared.

gls858
Bob

Re: Cannot Delete Shortcut from Desktop!!
Reboot.

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm beginning to wonder if Windows Vista Home Premium exists for the sole
> purpose of preventing me from getting anything accomplished. I am the sole
> user, with administrative privileges, of this machine. Still, when I just
> attempted to delete an unwanted shortcut from my desktop, I couldn't.
> Message says, "Location is not available. C:\ is not accessible. Access is
> denied."
>
> The same thing happens for every file on the desktop I try to delete. What
> the heck is going on here???
>
> Joan

A Baffled User

Re: Cannot Delete Shortcut from Desktop!!
I've rebooted multiple times. And talked with tech support at HP. Not only
can I not delete icons from my desktop, I cannot access drive C:\!! The tech
support people are stumped. Needless to say, so am I.

If I disable/turn off UAC, or enter Safe Mode, everything works fine. But
with UAC turned on, all of a sudden today, things have gone haywire.

"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:3MKdnTjl4eonyCLanZ2dnUVZ_qygnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Reboot.
>
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I'm beginning to wonder if Windows Vista Home Premium exists for the sole
>> purpose of preventing me from getting anything accomplished. I am the
>> sole user, with administrative privileges, of this machine. Still, when I
>> just attempted to delete an unwanted shortcut from my desktop, I
>> couldn't. Message says, "Location is not available. C:\ is not
>> accessible. Access is denied."
>>
>> The same thing happens for every file on the desktop I try to delete.
>> What the heck is going on here???
>>
>> Joan

Bob

Re: Cannot Delete Shortcut from Desktop!!
HP tech support is a joke.

Try this.
Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

> I've rebooted multiple times. And talked with tech support at HP. Not only
> can I not delete icons from my desktop, I cannot access drive C:\!! The
> tech support people are stumped. Needless to say, so am I.
>
> If I disable/turn off UAC, or enter Safe Mode, everything works fine. But
> with UAC turned on, all of a sudden today, things have gone haywire.
>
> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:3MKdnTjl4eonyCLanZ2dnUVZ_qygnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Reboot.
>>
>> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm beginning to wonder if Windows Vista Home Premium exists for the
>>> sole purpose of preventing me from getting anything accomplished. I am
>>> the sole user, with administrative privileges, of this machine. Still,
>>> when I just attempted to delete an unwanted shortcut from my desktop, I
>>> couldn't. Message says, "Location is not available. C:\ is not
>>> accessible. Access is denied."
>>>
>>> The same thing happens for every file on the desktop I try to delete.
>>> What the heck is going on here???
>>>
>>> Joan

A Baffled User

Re: Cannot Delete Shortcut from Desktop!!
I have gone through changing the ownership of the entire drive C:\ via
C:\Properties\...Security\Edit, and it made no difference whatsoever. Do you
think that creating a Take Ownership menu would do any better than taking
over ownership of the whole primary drive?

> HP tech support is a joke.
>
> Try this.
> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
>

> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I've rebooted multiple times. And talked with tech support at HP. Not
>> only can I not delete icons from my desktop, I cannot access drive C:\!!
>> The tech support people are stumped. Needless to say, so am I.
>>
>> If I disable/turn off UAC, or enter Safe Mode, everything works fine. But
>> with UAC turned on, all of a sudden today, things have gone haywire.
>>
>> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> news:3MKdnTjl4eonyCLanZ2dnUVZ_qygnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>> Reboot.

Bob

Re: Cannot Delete Shortcut from Desktop!!
Yes, I think it might. Use it to take ownership of the C drive.

>I have gone through changing the ownership of the entire drive C:\ via
>C:\Properties\...Security\Edit, and it made no difference whatsoever. Do
>you think that creating a Take Ownership menu would do any better than
>taking over ownership of the whole primary drive?
>
> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> HP tech support is a joke.
>>
>> Try this.
>> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
>> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
>>

>> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> I've rebooted multiple times. And talked with tech support at HP. Not
>>> only can I not delete icons from my desktop, I cannot access drive C:\!!
>>> The tech support people are stumped. Needless to say, so am I.
>>>
>>> If I disable/turn off UAC, or enter Safe Mode, everything works fine.
>>> But with UAC turned on, all of a sudden today, things have gone haywire.
>>>
>>> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> news:3MKdnTjl4eonyCLanZ2dnUVZ_qygnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

Dave

news:ILudnVqFcop0uF3anZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Yes, I think it might. Use it to take ownership of the C drive.
>
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I have gone through changing the ownership of the entire drive C:\ via
>>C:\Properties\...Security\Edit, and it made no difference whatsoever. Do
>>you think that creating a Take Ownership menu would do any better than
>>taking over ownership of the whole primary drive?
>>
>> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> HP tech support is a joke.
>>>
>>> Try this.
>>> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
>>> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
>>>

>>> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message

simple little question............has the OP just tried the f5 key to
refresh his/her destop?

koch

A Baffled User;622849 Wrote:
> I have gone through changing the ownership of the entire drive C:\ via
> C:\Properties\...Security\Edit, and it made no difference whatsoever.
> Do you
> think that creating a Take Ownership menu would do any better than
> taking
> over ownership of the whole primary drive?

::You can get full access through the true admin account. Do the
following to switch accounts:::

::To Turn On the Hidden Real Administrator Account - In command
prompt:::
::*net user administrator /active:yes*::

::To Turn Off the Hidden Real Administrator Account - In command
prompt:::
::*net user administrator /active:no*::

::Remember to right click on the command prompt and \"run as
administrator\". WARNING: Make sure you are not logged into the Real
Administrator account when turning it off. Use a regular Administrator
account to do this instead. Log off and log back on to your regular
Admin account before executing the *net user administrator /active:no*
command (IMPORTANT).::

--
koch
Bob

Re: Cannot Delete Shortcut from Desktop!!
It's a good question. Sometimes we overlook the simple solutions.