CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

bumblebee

CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!
Everytime I select the caps lock key a little pop up indicator flashes on
telling me that i'm in either upper or lower case - its driving me mad. How
do i turn it off???
dzomlija

Re: CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!

bumblebee;618206 Wrote:
> Everytime I select the caps lock key a little pop up indicator flashes
> on
> telling me that i'm in either upper or lower case - its driving me mad.
> How
> do i turn it off???

I don't really know if it can be turned off. That "warning" message is
there to remind you that the Caps Lock key has been turned on, and you
are attempting to enter a password, for which the usual practice is
either all lower-case characters, or a mix.

If you use a mixed-case password, then using the SHIFT key will invert
the caps lock, so that upper become lower and vice versa.

This, obviously, will result in an incorrect password being entered.

--
dzomlija

_____________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
-Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...-

-Download MP3 Media Properties Explorer: --http://www.phx.co.za-

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- 128MB ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Chassis
- 1207GB Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007See my rig at: http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...zomlija/Venus/
John Barnett MVP

Re: CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!
Go to Control panel and click on the Keyboard icon. In the keyboard
properties window you should see a list of 'key names' and a description of
what they are assigned to. Locate the CAPS LOCK option and click he Edit
button. In the 'reassign' window remove the tick mark from the 'displays
CAPS LOCK status on screen' Now click Finish, followed by OK on the keyboard
properties window. The cap lock status should now not appear.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"bumblebee" <bumblebee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I select the caps lock key a little pop up indicator flashes on
> telling me that i'm in either upper or lower case - its driving me mad.
> How
> do i turn it off???

bumblebee

Re: CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!
thanks john, i tried this and can't even find the keyboard icon! - not sure i
have the same version as you. any further help?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Go to Control panel and click on the Keyboard icon. In the keyboard
> properties window you should see a list of 'key names' and a description of
> what they are assigned to. Locate the CAPS LOCK option and click he Edit
> button. In the 'reassign' window remove the tick mark from the 'displays
> CAPS LOCK status on screen' Now click Finish, followed by OK on the keyboard
> properties window. The cap lock status should now not appear.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "bumblebee" <bumblebee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Everytime I select the caps lock key a little pop up indicator flashes on
> > telling me that i'm in either upper or lower case - its driving me mad.
> > How
> > do i turn it off???

The poster fromerly known as 'The Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy\

bumblebee wrote:
> Everytime I select the caps lock key a little pop up indicator flashes on
> telling me that i'm in either upper or lower case - its driving me mad. How
> do i turn it off???

Do you have cordless keyboard and mouse? The reason they do that with
the cordless desktop setups/cordless keyboard is because then the
keyboard will use less battery power if it does not need to power a caps
lock/numlock led lights constantly. Look in the software that came with
you cordless keyboard/mouse on how to turn it off.

--
"Fair use is not merely a nice concept--it is a federal law based on
free speech rights under the First Amendment and is a cornerstone of the
bumblebee

Re: CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!
no cordless mouse or keyboard used. It was fine until and engineer came and
installed my broadband and after he'd gone this annoying pop up was there!

"The poster fromerly known as 'The Poster" wrote:

> bumblebee wrote:
> > Everytime I select the caps lock key a little pop up indicator flashes on
> > telling me that i'm in either upper or lower case - its driving me mad. How
> > do i turn it off???

> Do you have cordless keyboard and mouse? The reason they do that with
> the cordless desktop setups/cordless keyboard is because then the
> keyboard will use less battery power if it does not need to power a caps
> lock/numlock led lights constantly. Look in the software that came with
> you cordless keyboard/mouse on how to turn it off.
>
> --
> "Fair use is not merely a nice concept--it is a federal law based on
> free speech rights under the First Amendment and is a cornerstone of the
> creativity and innovation that is a hallmark of this country. Consumer
> rights in the digital age are not frivolous."
> - Maura Corbett

DarkSentinel

Re: CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!
"bumblebee" <bumblebee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I select the caps lock key a little pop up indicator flashes on
> telling me that i'm in either upper or lower case - its driving me mad.
> How
> do i turn it off???

Sounds like you are using the SetPoint software for Logitech Keyboards and
Mice. If this is the case, open SetPoint. Click the Tools tab, then click
the tab with Logitech eye. Under Status Indicators, uncheck the "Show status
setting changes" boxes. Click Apply, the OK, and that will stop the pop ups.

--
Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel

bumblebee

Re: CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!
thanks, but i can't find any of the things you suggest!

"DarkSentinel" wrote:

> "bumblebee" <bumblebee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Everytime I select the caps lock key a little pop up indicator flashes on
> > telling me that i'm in either upper or lower case - its driving me mad.
> > How
> > do i turn it off???

> Sounds like you are using the SetPoint software for Logitech Keyboards and
> Mice. If this is the case, open SetPoint. Click the Tools tab, then click
> the tab with Logitech eye. Under Status Indicators, uncheck the "Show status
> setting changes" boxes. Click Apply, the OK, and that will stop the pop ups.
>
> --
> Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
> http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel
> Undo the munge to reply by email

bumblebee

Re: CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!
Thanks for your help John - it wasn't the broadband installation that did it,
it was the installer himself! i think i've found it now - he'd installed a
program called TODO - keyboard manager and i've managed to disable it and
have removed it from the start up menu.

thanks again everyone who suggested anything

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Even though it is not a wireless keyboard does it have multimedia
> capability? In other words does it have buttons for opening your web
> browser, email, music and things like that? If it doesn't then there is no
> way, that I know of, to make the alteration you want. However, I cannot see
> how installing broadband would cause this problem to arise.
>
> Is there a keyboard picture (icon) in control panel? (see attached
> screenshot - marked with red arrow)Even a normal keyboard will have a
> corresponding icon in control panel, as too would the mouse. Obviously mine
> is a wireless keyboard, hence the instruction I gave you.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "bumblebee" <bumblebee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks john, i tried this and can't even find the keyboard icon! - not
> > sure i
> > have the same version as you. any further help?
> >
> > "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to Control panel and click on the Keyboard icon. In the keyboard
> >> properties window you should see a list of 'key names' and a description
> >> of
> >> what they are assigned to. Locate the CAPS LOCK option and click he Edit
> >> button. In the 'reassign' window remove the tick mark from the 'displays
> >> CAPS LOCK status on screen' Now click Finish, followed by OK on the
> >> keyboard
> >> properties window. The cap lock status should now not appear.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Windows - Shell/User
> >>
> >> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >>
> >> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> >> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> >> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> >> for
> >> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> >> the
> >> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> >> mail/post..

bumblebee

Re: CAPS LOCK INDICATOR - TURN OFF!!
found the solution now, thanks again. The broadband installer had installed
a program called TODO - Keyboard Manager onto my machine and i've managed to
disable it and remove it from the start up menu

thanks again, all is good