Hijacked Icons

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

niagara94

Hijacked Icons
Hi - Sometimes the icons for various things on the desktop (or even in some
of the folders on the desktop) change. Even the recycle bin icon will change
sometimes. However, there are times where the icons are exactly right - how
they were set to be. Any ideas why this would happen? Thanks!
Don Varnau

Re: Hijacked Icons
Hi,
No idea why this is happening, but you can easily reset the icon cache to
restore the correct icons.
1. Right-click a blank area of the desktop, select Personalize
2. Select Display Settings.
3. In the Colors field, select a different color depth. For example, if the
current color depth setting is Highest (32-bit), click Medium (16-bit).
4. Click Apply.
5. Change back to the original Color setting.
6. Click Apply.
7. OK your way out.

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"niagara94" <niagara94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi - Sometimes the icons for various things on the desktop (or even in

some
> of the folders on the desktop) change. Even the recycle bin icon will

change
> sometimes. However, there are times where the icons are exactly right -

how
> they were set to be. Any ideas why this would happen? Thanks!

Brink

Re: Hijacked Icons

niagara94;616817 Wrote:
> Hi - Sometimes the icons for various things on the desktop (or even in
> some
> of the folders on the desktop) change. Even the recycle bin icon will
> change
> sometimes. However, there are times where the icons are exactly right -
> how
> they were set to be. Any ideas why this would happen? Thanks!

Hi Niagara,

This will show you how to rebuild the icon cache to have Vista reload
the icons again.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-rebuild.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
niagara94

Re: Hijacked Icons
Don & Brink,

Thank you for your reply. It will be good to have this fixed.

Tonye

niagara94;617397 Wrote:
> Don & Brink,
>
> Thank you for your reply. It will be good to have this fixed.
>
> Tonye
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
> > > >
> > > Hi,
> > > No idea why this is happening, but you can easily reset the icon

> > cache to
> > > restore the correct icons.
> > > 1. Right-click a blank area of the desktop, select Personalize
> > > 2. Select Display Settings.
> > > 3. In the Colors field, select a different color depth. For example,

> > if the
> > > current color depth setting is Highest (32-bit), click Medium

> > (16-bit).
> > > 4. Click Apply.
> > > 5. Change back to the original Color setting.
> > > 6. Click Apply.
> > > 7. OK your way out.
> > >
> > > Ref: 'Icons that are associated with the current version of Internet

> > Explorer are incorrect after you install or uninstall Internet Explorer
> > 7' (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715)
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Don
> > > [MS MVP- IE]
> > >
> > > "niagara94" <niagara94@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > some
> > > change
> > > how

Your welcome Tonye. Hope it fixes it for you.

Shawn