MS Word 2007 suddenly stopped working properly

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

ugo

MS Word 2007 suddenly stopped working properly
Hi,
I hope someone can help me, I'm kind of desperate.
From one day to another Word 2007 installed in a Windows Vista environment
stopped working properly.
I don't really know what might be the cause, maybe a Windows update or maybe
an Adobe Update, since a couple of times I had a message concerning Acrobat
Distiller (my idea is that maybe there's a conflict everytime Word has to use
some shared dll in order to be able to print or make pdf documents, but
that's just a guess).
Anyway, the symptomps are:
1. Word opens up apparently fine, but I can't use the side bar to scroll
down the pages
2. I can't click within a document, eventhough I can move the cursor with
the arrows and add characters or delete.
3. If I go to the Word options menu, I'm not able to click on any other
option besides the first line "General settings", I can't go for instance to
the "Center of Protection"
4. Everytime I shut it down, I get a message that there's has been an error
in the process, so the computer will look up for solutions, meanwhile it
restarts Word.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Word twice, but nothing has changed. Curiously
the problem is not with the general Microsoft Office Package (Powerpoint for
instance works fine).
What shoul I do? What might have caused the problem?

Thanks for any help or idea.
Ugo
Malke

Re: MS Word 2007 suddenly stopped working properly
ugo wrote:

> Hi,
> I hope someone can help me, I'm kind of desperate.
> From one day to another Word 2007 installed in a Windows Vista environment
> stopped working properly.
> I don't really know what might be the cause, maybe a Windows update or
> maybe an Adobe Update, since a couple of times I had a message concerning
> Acrobat Distiller (my idea is that maybe there's a conflict everytime Word
> has to use some shared dll in order to be able to print or make pdf
> documents, but that's just a guess).
> Anyway, the symptomps are:
> 1. Word opens up apparently fine, but I can't use the side bar to scroll
> down the pages
> 2. I can't click within a document, eventhough I can move the cursor with
> the arrows and add characters or delete.
> 3. If I go to the Word options menu, I'm not able to click on any other
> option besides the first line "General settings", I can't go for instance
> to the "Center of Protection"
> 4. Everytime I shut it down, I get a message that there's has been an
> error in the process, so the computer will look up for solutions,
> meanwhile it restarts Word.
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled Word twice, but nothing has changed.
> Curiously the problem is not with the general Microsoft Office Package
> (Powerpoint for instance works fine).
> What shoul I do? What might have caused the problem?

Try a System Restore to when things worked since this is a sudden change. To
run System Restore, go to the Start Orb and in the Start Search box type
"System Restore" without the quotes. System Restore will appear in the
Programs result. Click on it, allow the UAC prompt, and follow the wizard.

If a System Restore doesn't work, then the experts in the Word newsgroup may
have an answer for you:

microsoft.public.word.general

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Peter

"ugo" <ugo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I hope someone can help me, I'm kind of desperate.
> From one day to another Word 2007 installed in a Windows Vista environment
> stopped working properly.
> I don't really know what might be the cause, maybe a Windows update or
> maybe
> an Adobe Update, since a couple of times I had a message concerning
> Acrobat
> Distiller (my idea is that maybe there's a conflict everytime Word has to
> use
> some shared dll in order to be able to print or make pdf documents, but
> that's just a guess).
> Anyway, the symptomps are:
> 1. Word opens up apparently fine, but I can't use the side bar to scroll
> down the pages
> 2. I can't click within a document, eventhough I can move the cursor with
> the arrows and add characters or delete.
> 3. If I go to the Word options menu, I'm not able to click on any other
> option besides the first line "General settings", I can't go for instance
> the "Center of Protection"
> 4. Everytime I shut it down, I get a message that there's has been an
> error
> in the process, so the computer will look up for solutions, meanwhile it
> restarts Word.
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled Word twice, but nothing has changed.
> Curiously
> the problem is not with the general Microsoft Office Package (Powerpoint
> for
> instance works fine).
> What shoul I do? What might have caused the problem?
>
> Thanks for any help or idea.
> Ugo

Have you tried going to Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program,
selecting Microsoft Word and clicking the Repair option?
That usually works for me.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

ray

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 04:35:01 -0800, ugo wrote:

> Hi,
> I hope someone can help me, I'm kind of desperate. From one day to
> another Word 2007 installed in a Windows Vista environment stopped
> working properly.
> I don't really know what might be the cause, maybe a Windows update or
> maybe an Adobe Update, since a couple of times I had a message
> concerning Acrobat Distiller (my idea is that maybe there's a conflict
> everytime Word has to use some shared dll in order to be able to print
> or make pdf documents, but that's just a guess).
> Anyway, the symptomps are:
> 1. Word opens up apparently fine, but I can't use the side bar to scroll
> down the pages
> 2. I can't click within a document, eventhough I can move the cursor
> with the arrows and add characters or delete. 3. If I go to the Word
> options menu, I'm not able to click on any other option besides the
> first line "General settings", I can't go for instance to the "Center of
> Protection"
> 4. Everytime I shut it down, I get a message that there's has been an
> error in the process, so the computer will look up for solutions,
> meanwhile it restarts Word.
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled Word twice, but nothing has changed.
> Curiously the problem is not with the general Microsoft Office Package
> (Powerpoint for instance works fine).
> What shoul I do? What might have caused the problem?
>
> Thanks for any help or idea.
> Ugo

As a stopgap until you can get the problem resolved, you might consider
installing OpenOffice.org. It is a complete Open Source office suite -
imports and exports MS Office files and works pretty much the same.
ugo

RE: MS Word 2007 suddenly stopped working properly
Thank you for the replies they were all somewhat helpful eventhough none
really solves my problem:
1) Restoring the computer to a previous date it's what i'll be forced to do,
eventhough I don't like this kind of solution (i will have to reinstall more
recent programs and i always fear to lose data).
2) I tried repairing the Word installation once, it didn't work, then i
uninstalled it once and reinstalled it without positive results. Finally i
uninstalled and reinstalled the whole Office package, but it didn't solve the
problem.
3) I thought about using OpenOffice, but the compatibility sometimes is not
just perfect with the latest docs.

Thanks to everyone.
Rat-race.co.uk

Re: MS Word 2007 suddenly stopped working properly

Hi guys,

I'm in the same sinking boat as Ugo, has anyone (especially Ugo) found
the solution to this horrid problem??

Cheers

--
Rat-race.co.uk
Rat-race.co.uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47578

http://forums.techarena.in

camille

Re: MS Word 2007 suddenly stopped working properly

Hi -- I have the same problem as Ugo & Rat-race.co.uk. I've done
everything, even uninstalled the entire MS Office 2007 suite &
reinstalled it. And it's the same problem. I worked with a Dell tech
for hours & finally gave up and installed 2003. I think it has
something to do with the interaction of Vista & MS Office. Has anyone
found the solution to this?

Also, is anyone having a problem with System Restore? Mine has never
worked & despite repeated attempts by Dell, we can't get it to work.

Thank you.
Camille

--
camille
camille's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/camille.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

firecat

Re: MS Word 2007 suddenly stopped working properly

Hi folks I'm new here but I'm on the same sinking Word 2007 boat but
with XP Pro SP3.

Tried everything everyone has suggested so far and nothing it sits with
the hourglass sponning and all you can see is the menus along the top
but they are unclickable. If you press ESC it loads and presents you
with a nice clean page and you think hallyluyah but then the dreaded box
pops up saying it rying to repair an error then restarts and does the
same again and again. Someone said it might be do to with something
expiring but mines genuine so it can't be that can it?

Help!! BTW if you install word 2003 it works but the same Word 2007
works fine on the laptop and it was installed the same day?

Weird eh!

Any help please.

Firecat

--
firecat
firecat's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/firecat.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/915810.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Paul Montgomery

Re: MS Word 2007 suddenly stopped working properly
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 15:04:36 +0530, firecat
<firecat.3fd4fb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Hi folks I'm new here but I'm on the same sinking Word 2007 boat but
>with XP Pro SP3.

Move your discussion to an XP group:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

or better yet, to a Word or Office group:

microsoft.public.word.newusers

microsoft.public.office.misc
John Barnes

Re: MS Word 2007 suddenly stopped working properly
You are in the wrong group as noted, but you can try to uninstall and
reinstall to make sure you have no corrupted files.