Explorer.exe crashes when open, explore, or empty the Recycle bin

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Michael W.

Explorer.exe crashes when open, explore, or empty the Recycle bin
This issue started today without any warning. Vista Business had been working
very well without too many issues until this started happening. Only activity
was to delete some Word documents and a WAV file and then try to empty the
recycle bin.

When the Recycle bin os opened I can see the only file left is the WAV dile
but exporer crashes without being able to do anything.

Faulting application Explorer.EXE, version 6.0.6000.16549, time stamp
0x46d230c5, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
0x4549bd80, exception code 0xc06d007e, fault offset 0x0001b09e, process id
0x85c, application start time 0x01c86dbb770366ae.

Please reply with a solution to clear this thanks

--
While I can’t eat integrity, at least I will starve with a clear conscience…
Michael W.

RE: Explorer.exe crashes when open, explore, or empty the Recycle bin
I have a possible work around for this but still am unsure of the underlying
cause. If anyone has an insight to this please jump into the thread.

I created a test text file to my desktop (contents: random characters) and
then deleted the file from the right click menu. Then I right clicked the
Recycle bin and chose "Empty..." and instead of crashing, it asked if I
wanted to delete (now) 2 files and then started working properly.

Any idea what Explorer would choke when trying to empty WAV files?

--

"Michael W." wrote:

> This issue started today without any warning. Vista Business had been working
> very well without too many issues until this started happening. Only activity
> was to delete some Word documents and a WAV file and then try to empty the
> recycle bin.
>
> When the Recycle bin os opened I can see the only file left is the WAV dile
> but exporer crashes without being able to do anything.
>
> Faulting application Explorer.EXE, version 6.0.6000.16549, time stamp
> 0x46d230c5, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
> 0x4549bd80, exception code 0xc06d007e, fault offset 0x0001b09e, process id
> 0x85c, application start time 0x01c86dbb770366ae.
>
> Please reply with a solution to clear this thanks
>
> --
> While I can’t eat integrity, at least I will starve with a clear conscience…

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Explorer.exe crashes when open, explore, or empty the Recycle bin

Turn turns out to be a pretty generic crash bucket, sorry. It might be
possible to make some educated guesses about the culprits with a valid DMP
(crash) file, but just from that data alone there would be no away to really
provide any great diagnostics, sorry.

--
Speaking for myself only.