WIndows Vista Shutdown Process is very slow

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Tallone

WIndows Vista Shutdown Process is very slow
I have problems almost every time I shut down or restart Windows Vista with a
very long delay period. The message "Windows is Shutting Down" stays on the
screen many times over 30 minutes and I finally have to shut down all power
to the computer. I don't think this is normal and I was wondering if there
is some program I have installed that could be causing this delay.
Mark L. Ferguson

Re: WIndows Vista Shutdown Process is very slow
There is a workaround, until you spot whatever is causing it. You create a
shortcut to use for shutdown. It should have the command:
shutdown /p

This forces all apps to close. No wait.

I think you should probably try device manager during a normal shutdown, to
see if you can catch some app hanging.

--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.

Mark L. Ferguson

..
"Tallone" <Tallone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have problems almost every time I shut down or restart Windows Vista with
> very long delay period. The message "Windows is Shutting Down" stays on
> the
> screen many times over 30 minutes and I finally have to shut down all
> power
> to the computer. I don't think this is normal and I was wondering if
> there
> is some program I have installed that could be causing this delay.

Bill Anderson

Tallone wrote:
> I have problems almost every time I shut down or restart Windows Vista with a
> very long delay period. The message "Windows is Shutting Down" stays on the
> screen many times over 30 minutes and I finally have to shut down all power
> to the computer. I don't think this is normal and I was wondering if there
> is some program I have installed that could be causing this delay.

I had a similar problem, but in my situation I'd see a message saying
Vista was installing 1 of 1 update along with a caution not to turn off
the computer. After a few hours of waiting -- once overnight -- I
concluded I should just turn off the power no matter what Vista was
telling me. Rebooting was never a problem. And I could never find in
my update history any evidence that some update had either failed to
load or was in the queue to load.

I have obtained a copy of the forthcoming SP1, and after I installed it
the shutdown problem went away. That's not the sort of solution you're
looking for I suppose, but it worked for me.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Malke

Tallone wrote:

> I have problems almost every time I shut down or restart Windows Vista
> with a
> very long delay period. The message "Windows is Shutting Down" stays on
> the screen many times over 30 minutes and I finally have to shut down all
> power
> to the computer. I don't think this is normal and I was wondering if
> there is some program I have installed that could be causing this delay.

Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from malware
or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton or McAfee).
If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it and replace with
a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast (free). The Windows
Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista, shutdown issues can also
be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make sure all drivers are
updated. See Step B. below for general driver directions.

A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.

B. Drivers - The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke, don't
fix it". Normally if everything is working you want to leave things as they
are. The exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually want to update
their video and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit of performance out
of the hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If you're not one of those
people, you don't need to update your drivers if there are no problems you
are trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

C. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no Norton
or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot troubleshooting to see
which program/process is the culprit:

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Standard caveat: If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and there
is absolutely no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the
machine to a computer repair shop. This will not be your local
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get recommendations from family,
friends, colleagues.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
mikeyhsd

Re: WIndows Vista Shutdown Process is very slow
take a look in the EVENT logs specifically at the shut down section.
it should have entries that tell you what program is causing problems.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Tallone" <Tallone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C51B52A4-641F-45C4-A394-1F17ABE2E58A@microsoft.com...
I have problems almost every time I shut down or restart Windows Vista with a
very long delay period. The message "Windows is Shutting Down" stays on the
screen many times over 30 minutes and I finally have to shut down all power
to the computer. I don't think this is normal and I was wondering if there
is some program I have installed that could be causing this delay.
weewillie@anon.com

Re: WIndows Vista Shutdown Process is very slow
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:43:37 -0600, "mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com>
wrote:

>take a look in the EVENT logs specifically at the shut down section.
>it should have entries that tell you what program is causing problems.
>

>mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

where is the shutdown section within event log, I haven't found it yet
Cow_Man

Re: WIndows Vista Shutdown Process is very slow

Hi, I'm new here but I was experiencing the same problem. What your comp
is doing is making a restore point, to disable this go right-click
computer>Properties then click on System Protection on the left had
colum. In there, make shure that the drive(s) are unchecked.

System restore points are only created after certain events such as new
drivers, software, etc. For more info, click start>Help and Support,
search system restore then click on the forst result.

EXTREME!

--
Cow_Man
SG

"Cow_Man" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi, I'm new here but I was experiencing the same problem. What your comp
> is doing is making a restore point, to disable this go right-click
> computer>Properties then click on System Protection on the left had
> colum. In there, make shure that the drive(s) are unchecked.
>
> System restore points are only created after certain events such as new
> drivers, software, etc. For more info, click start>Help and Support,
> search system restore then click on the forst result.
>
> EXTREME!
>

> --
> Cow_Man

Cow_Man,

Not sure where you are getting your info from, but it's only somewhat
correct.
Also, that's bad advise to suggest someone to disable System Restore.

Restore points are created:
When software is installed using the Windows Installer, Package Installer or
other installers which are aware of System Restore.
When Windows Update installs new updates to Windows.
When the user installs a driver that is not digitally signed by Windows
Hardware Quality Labs.
Every 24 hours of computer use (10 hours in Windows Me), or every 24 hours
of calendar time, whichever happens first. This setting is configurable
through the registry or using the deployment tools. Such a restore point is
known as a system checkpoint. System Restore requires Task Scheduler to
create system checkpoints. Moreover, system checkpoints are only created if
the system is idle for a certain amount of time.
When the operating system starts after being off for more than 24 hours.
When the user requests it. On Windows Vista, shadow copies created during
File Backup and Complete PC Backup can also be used as restore points.
Older restore points are deleted as per the configured space constraint on a
First In, First Out basis also known as FIFO

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
Just type in Microsoft

PD43

Re: WIndows Vista Shutdown Process is very slow
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:49:43 -0500, Cow_Man <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Hi, I'm new here but I was experiencing the same problem. What your comp
>is doing is making a restore point, to disable this go right-click
>computer>Properties then click on System Protection on the left had
>colum. In there, make shure that the drive(s) are unchecked.
>
>System restore points are only created after certain events such as new
>drivers, software, etc. For more info, click start>Help and Support,
>search system restore then click on the forst result.
>
>EXTREME!

Besides replying to a post that is three months old, your solution to
the problem couldn't be more wrong. System restore is NOT a reason
for slow shutdown.

And your advice to disable system restore is bad advice anyway.
Cow_Man

Re: WIndows Vista Shutdown Process is very slow

I found out that is was creating them during shutdown because at the
same time I shut down, was the same time the last backup was created. I
just left it over night (It took many hours to shut down ) then I
botted up, then shut down and only took a few seconds. There was also
alot of hard drive activity which also suggested this.

--
Cow_Man