Mouse pointer clicks in wrong place

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Ed

Mouse pointer clicks in wrong place
I have an new Dell Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista. At seemingly random
times, the mouse pointer will be offset from where it will actually click.
The only way I have to know where it is located is that the buttons "glow"
when the pointer is supposed to be over them. Is there an update or patch
for this problem? Thanks.
AlexB

Re: Mouse pointer clicks in wrong place
If you have a wireless mouse, could you check your battery voltage?

If the voltage is fine, while you are putting the battery back make sure all
contacts are in good order.

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an new Dell Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista. At seemingly random
> times, the mouse pointer will be offset from where it will actually click.
> The only way I have to know where it is located is that the buttons "glow"
> when the pointer is supposed to be over them. Is there an update or patch
> for this problem? Thanks.

Ed

Re: Mouse pointer clicks in wrong place
Thanks, but I have a standard USB optical mouse. I'm quite sure it's a
Windows Vista software issue because I've tried using other mouses. This
problem occurs in all applications, Microsoft or otherwise. Thanks though.

"AlexB" wrote:

> If you have a wireless mouse, could you check your battery voltage?
>
> If the voltage is fine, while you are putting the battery back make sure all
> contacts are in good order.
>
> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an new Dell Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista. At seemingly random
> > times, the mouse pointer will be offset from where it will actually click.
> > The only way I have to know where it is located is that the buttons "glow"
> > when the pointer is supposed to be over them. Is there an update or patch
> > for this problem? Thanks.

AlexB

Re: Mouse pointer clicks in wrong place
Ed, then there is another angle. Again, I am guessing, since the information
is not that complete and opened to interpretation.

It seems I may have a similar "issue" but I always explain it rationally.
When I work with many windows opened which is often the case I lose track
(at times) where the focus is. I may expect the mouse pointer to be in
window 1 but in fact it is dimmed or simply too small (narrow) to be noticed
because I switched the focus to window 2.

What I do and it helps: I set up highly visible pointers for various tasks,
like the dinosaur with its tail wagging, or a banana. You can try it.

I am absolutely certain it is not a Windows Vista issue.

Another possibility it that your USB mouse is not plugged in firmly and the
contact becomes a semiconductor. It can do crazy things also.

> Thanks, but I have a standard USB optical mouse. I'm quite sure it's a
> Windows Vista software issue because I've tried using other mouses. This
> problem occurs in all applications, Microsoft or otherwise. Thanks
> though.
>
> "AlexB" wrote:
>
>> If you have a wireless mouse, could you check your battery voltage?
>>
>> If the voltage is fine, while you are putting the battery back make sure
>> all
>> contacts are in good order.
>>
>> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an new Dell Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista. At seemingly random
>> > times, the mouse pointer will be offset from where it will actually
>> > click.
>> > The only way I have to know where it is located is that the buttons
>> > "glow"
>> > when the pointer is supposed to be over them. Is there an update or
>> > patch
>> > for this problem? Thanks.

Ed

Re: Mouse pointer clicks in wrong place
I appreciate you trying to help me. Unfortunately, this isn't something that
can be explained away. To clarify, when this occurs (and it happens about 3
to 5 times every 10 minutes), everything the pointer does is offset. For
instance, you have to click above and to the right of a button. Another
example: if the cursor is programmed to change shape, such as resizing a
window, clicking a hyperlink or selecting text, it does so at a constant
offset distance from that point on the screen. Completing one function, such
as closing a program or clicking the OK button in a command window
temporarily corrects the issue. In searching the net, I found at least one
other Dell owner with the same problem. Thanks again.

http://boardreader.com/t/Windows_Vis...em_247403.html

Enhace pointer precision

"AlexB" wrote:

> Ed, then there is another angle. Again, I am guessing, since the information
> is not that complete and opened to interpretation.
>
> It seems I may have a similar "issue" but I always explain it rationally.
> When I work with many windows opened which is often the case I lose track
> (at times) where the focus is. I may expect the mouse pointer to be in
> window 1 but in fact it is dimmed or simply too small (narrow) to be noticed
> because I switched the focus to window 2.
>
> What I do and it helps: I set up highly visible pointers for various tasks,
> like the dinosaur with its tail wagging, or a banana. You can try it.
>
> I am absolutely certain it is not a Windows Vista issue.
>
> Another possibility it that your USB mouse is not plugged in firmly and the
> contact becomes a semiconductor. It can do crazy things also.
>
> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, but I have a standard USB optical mouse. I'm quite sure it's a
> > Windows Vista software issue because I've tried using other mouses. This
> > problem occurs in all applications, Microsoft or otherwise. Thanks
> > though.
> >
> > "AlexB" wrote:
> >
> >> If you have a wireless mouse, could you check your battery voltage?
> >>
> >> If the voltage is fine, while you are putting the battery back make sure
> >> all
> >> contacts are in good order.

AlexB

Re: Mouse pointer clicks in wrong place
In other words you have a problem with the hot point. It is migrating
unpredictably, right? It may actually be outside of geometrical shape of the
cursor?

Why don't you try to check this option: "Automatically Move pointer to the
default button in a dialog box?"

It is in Hardware and Sound>>Mouse>>Pointer Options.

If the hot point migrates you will see your pointer taking different
positions over time.

Playing with the hot point requires programming, I am afraid.

>I appreciate you trying to help me. Unfortunately, this isn't something
>that
> can be explained away. To clarify, when this occurs (and it happens about
> 3
> to 5 times every 10 minutes), everything the pointer does is offset. For
> instance, you have to click above and to the right of a button. Another
> example: if the cursor is programmed to change shape, such as resizing a
> window, clicking a hyperlink or selecting text, it does so at a constant
> offset distance from that point on the screen. Completing one function,
> such
> as closing a program or clicking the OK button in a command window
> temporarily corrects the issue. In searching the net, I found at least
> one
> other Dell owner with the same problem. Thanks again.
>
> http://boardreader.com/t/Windows_Vis...em_247403.html
>
> Enhace pointer precision
>
> "AlexB" wrote:
>
>> Ed, then there is another angle. Again, I am guessing, since the
>> information
>> is not that complete and opened to interpretation.
>>
>> It seems I may have a similar "issue" but I always explain it rationally.
>> When I work with many windows opened which is often the case I lose track
>> (at times) where the focus is. I may expect the mouse pointer to be in
>> window 1 but in fact it is dimmed or simply too small (narrow) to be
>> noticed
>> because I switched the focus to window 2.
>>
>> What I do and it helps: I set up highly visible pointers for various
>> tasks,
>> like the dinosaur with its tail wagging, or a banana. You can try it.
>>
>> I am absolutely certain it is not a Windows Vista issue.
>>
>> Another possibility it that your USB mouse is not plugged in firmly and
>> the
>> contact becomes a semiconductor. It can do crazy things also.
>>
>> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, but I have a standard USB optical mouse. I'm quite sure it's a
>> > Windows Vista software issue because I've tried using other mouses.
>> > This
>> > problem occurs in all applications, Microsoft or otherwise. Thanks
>> > though.

SG

Re: Mouse pointer clicks in wrong place
Hi Ed,

Not sure if this has anything to do with your system, but worth the read.
Also, I'm not sure where Jim speaks about "Remember back to the beginning of
this blog entry?", hadn't had time to search for it. Perhaps if you find it,
it should explain more about how this is done. If you look at the link below
under the section....
Fig 4. – Elevating the Language Pack Installer. Signed and known by Windows

You will see what I'm talking about. It appears to me it's possible for
Malicious code to spoof the mouse cursor that can cause this trouble.

http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/archive/20...03/589561.aspx

--
All the best,
SG

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an new Dell Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista. At seemingly random
> times, the mouse pointer will be offset from where it will actually click.
> The only way I have to know where it is located is that the buttons "glow"
> when the pointer is supposed to be over them. Is there an update or patch
> for this problem? Thanks.

mturk@cs.ucsb.edu

Re: Mouse pointer clicks in wrong place
I couldn't get to the beginning of this discussion, but I think it's
describing the same problem I have with a brand new Dell XPS 420
running Vista (Home Premium). The mouse offset is wrong on some cursor
icons. I can go into Control Panel / Mouse Properties / Pointers and
see the hotspot change when I go from one cursor icon (e.g., "Normal
Select" or "Vertical Resize") to another. This is *really* annoying,
as I have to mentally adjust where I click depending on what the state
of the pointer is (selecting, resizing, busy, etc.). Mine is not an
intermittant problem - it is always this way (except for the default
pointer scheme).

It definitely seems to be a Vista issue (or at least, the default
Vista mouse drivers). Do a web search on "vista mouse offset" and
you'll see others having this problem. Some have seen it go away after
uninstalling the drivers and rebooting, but this didn't work for me.

It was this way out of the box, so there's no malicious code problem.
Am I just going to have to wait for Vista SP1 for a fix - or is that
even optimistic?

Thanks in advance for any help....

Matthew

izamecnik@comcast.net

On Feb 9, 2:20 pm, mt...@cs.ucsb.edu wrote:
> I couldn't get to the beginning of this discussion, but I think it's
> describing the same problem I have with a brand new Dell XPS 420
> running Vista (Home Premium). The mouse offset is wrong on some cursor
> icons. I can go into Control Panel / Mouse Properties / Pointers and
> see the hotspot change when I go from one cursor icon (e.g., "Normal
> Select" or "Vertical Resize") to another. This is *really* annoying,
> as I have to mentally adjust where I click depending on what the state
> of the pointer is (selecting, resizing, busy, etc.). Mine is not an
> intermittant problem - it is always this way (except for the default
> pointer scheme).
>
> It definitely seems to be a Vista issue (or at least, the default
> Vista mouse drivers). Do a web search on "vista mouse offset" and
> you'll see others having this problem. Some have seen it go away after
> uninstalling the drivers and rebooting, but this didn't work for me.
>
> It was this way out of the box, so there's no malicious code problem.
> Am I just going to have to wait for Vista SP1 for a fix - or is that
> even optimistic?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help....
>
> Matthew
>
> On Feb 3, 4:01 pm, "SG" <so...@nomail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ed,

> > Not sure if this has anything to do with your system, but worth the read.
> > Also, I'm not sure where Jim speaks about "Remember back to the beginning of
> > this blog entry?", hadn't had time to search for it. Perhaps if you find it,
> > it should explain more about how this is done. If you look at the link below
> > under the section....
> > Fig 4. - Elevating the Language Pack Installer. Signed and known by Windows

> > You will see what I'm talking about. It appears to me it's possible for
> > Malicious code to spoof the mouse cursor that can cause this trouble.

> >http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/archive/20...03/589561.aspx

> > --
> > All the best,
> > SG

> > "Ed" <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > >I have an new Dell Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista. At seemingly random
> > > times, the mouse pointer will be offset from where it will actually click.
> > > The only way I have to know where it is located is that the buttons "glow"
> > > when the pointer is supposed to be over them. Is there an update or patch
> > > for this problem? Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

I had the same problem with my XPS 420 from Dell running Vista Home
Premium.

I found that if you go to the Mouse control panel and then Pointers,
change from "Windows Aero (system scheme) to (None), the problem seems
to go away. So... it IS a Vista problem, but it seems you can turn the
problem off. Maybe SPsomething will fix this problem.
wallyholt@gmail.com

On Feb 10, 3:45 pm, izamec...@comcast.net wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2:20 pm, mt...@cs.ucsb.edu wrote:
>

> > I couldn't get to the beginning of this discussion, but I think it's
> > describing the same problem I have with a brand new Dell XPS 420
> > running Vista (Home Premium). The mouse offset is wrong on some cursor
> > icons. I can go into Control Panel / Mouse Properties / Pointers and
> > see the hotspot change when I go from one cursor icon (e.g., "Normal
> > Select" or "Vertical Resize") to another. This is *really* annoying,
> > as I have to mentally adjust where I click depending on what the state
> > of the pointer is (selecting, resizing, busy, etc.). Mine is not an
> > intermittant problem - it is always this way (except for the default
> > pointer scheme).

> > It definitely seems to be a Vista issue (or at least, the default
> > Vista mouse drivers). Do a web search on "vista mouse offset" and
> > you'll see others having this problem. Some have seen it go away after
> > uninstalling the drivers and rebooting, but this didn't work for me.

> > It was this way out of the box, so there's no malicious code problem.
> > Am I just going to have to wait for Vista SP1 for a fix - or is that
> > even optimistic?

> > Thanks in advance for any help....

> > Matthew

> > On Feb 3, 4:01 pm, "SG" <so...@nomail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Ed,

> > > Not sure if this has anything to do with your system, but worth the read.
> > > Also, I'm not sure where Jim speaks about "Remember back to the beginning of
> > > this blog entry?", hadn't had time to search for it. Perhaps if you find it,
> > > it should explain more about how this is done. If you look at the link below
> > > under the section....
> > > Fig 4. - Elevating the Language Pack Installer. Signed and known by Windows

> > > You will see what I'm talking about. It appears to me it's possible for
> > > Malicious code to spoof the mouse cursor that can cause this trouble.

> > >http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/archive/20...03/589561.aspx

> > > --
> > > All the best,
> > > SG

> > > "Ed" <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I had the same problem with my XPS 420 from Dell running Vista Home
> Premium.
>
> I found that if you go to the Mouse control panel and then Pointers,
> change from "Windows Aero (system scheme) to (None), the problem seems
> to go away. So... it IS a Vista problem, but it seems you can turn the
> problem off. Maybe SPsomething will fix this problem.

The same thing is happening with my new XPS 420. Really annoying.
Maybe it is some Dell tweak of the OS. Might be worth a contact to
Dell support.