I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Yangky_5

I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!
I just got an Asus Lamborghini notebook and it's got some Pentium thing in it
that is not compatible with XP. I've been dying to downgrade my PC to XP
because whenever I try to download Adobe Flash Player, my computer refuses to
shut off. I shut it down, it says shutting down, then the screen goes off
but the buttons on my notebook are still on. I have to force shut it down
and when I turn the computer on again it says unexpected shutdown detected.
I used an I SPY disk on the notebook when my brother came over and when I
tried to turn the computer on later that evening, Windows wouldn't even open
anymore.
I've had to run my recovery disk 5 times in 1 month! I can't even watch
anything on YouTube because I don't have Flash Player!
Can anyone help? Is it the Notebook that's messed up or Vista?
Mick Murphy

RE: I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_14157

What is this "I spy" garbage you are running?
And the Pentium "thing" that is incompatible with XP?

What OS are you running; XP or vista?

Uninstall what you have got of Flash, then reinstall it.

Asus notebooks and Vista do not mess up.
It's you who is messed up!

"Yangky_5" wrote:

> I just got an Asus Lamborghini notebook and it's got some Pentium thing in it
> that is not compatible with XP. I've been dying to downgrade my PC to XP
> because whenever I try to download Adobe Flash Player, my computer refuses to
> shut off. I shut it down, it says shutting down, then the screen goes off
> but the buttons on my notebook are still on. I have to force shut it down
> and when I turn the computer on again it says unexpected shutdown detected.
> I used an I SPY disk on the notebook when my brother came over and when I
> tried to turn the computer on later that evening, Windows wouldn't even open
> anymore.
> I've had to run my recovery disk 5 times in 1 month! I can't even watch
> anything on YouTube because I don't have Flash Player!
> Can anyone help? Is it the Notebook that's messed up or Vista?

Neerav

Re: I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!
that was rude.

anyway, try contacting asus technical support in ur region and tell them ur
problem.
i suspect something wrong with the flash player version.

Neerav

> http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_14157
>
> What is this "I spy" garbage you are running?
> And the Pentium "thing" that is incompatible with XP?
>
> What OS are you running; XP or vista?
>
> Uninstall what you have got of Flash, then reinstall it.
>
> Asus notebooks and Vista do not mess up.
> It's you who is messed up!
>
> "Yangky_5" wrote:
>
>> I just got an Asus Lamborghini notebook and it's got some Pentium thing
>> in it
>> that is not compatible with XP. I've been dying to downgrade my PC to XP
>> because whenever I try to download Adobe Flash Player, my computer
>> refuses to
>> shut off. I shut it down, it says shutting down, then the screen goes
>> off
>> but the buttons on my notebook are still on. I have to force shut it
>> down
>> and when I turn the computer on again it says unexpected shutdown
>> detected.
>> I used an I SPY disk on the notebook when my brother came over and when I
>> tried to turn the computer on later that evening, Windows wouldn't even
>> open
>> anymore.
>> I've had to run my recovery disk 5 times in 1 month! I can't even watch
>> anything on YouTube because I don't have Flash Player!
>> Can anyone help? Is it the Notebook that's messed up or Vista?

Joseph Meehan

Re: I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!
Is English your second language or were you just really frustrated when
you wrote your message?

Frankly it is not very clear. You say you are trying to downgrade to XP
and they you say Pentium is not compatible with XP (so why would you want to
change to what is not compatible? I don't know I SPY but I am going to
guess that it never heard of Vista (if that is what you are now running) and
that it screwed up your system. However it is rather difficult to guess
what you are really trying to tell us.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Dave Cox

Re: I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!
"Joseph Meehan" <sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Is English your second language or were you just really
> frustrated when
> you wrote your message?
>
> Frankly it is not very clear. You say you are trying to
> downgrade to XP
> and they you say Pentium is not compatible with XP (so why would
> you want to change to what is not compatible? I don't know I SPY
> but I am going to guess that it never heard of Vista (if that is
> what you are now running) and that it screwed up your system.
> However it is rather difficult to guess what you are really trying
> to tell us.
>
> "Yangky_5" <Yangky_5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I just got an Asus Lamborghini notebook and it's got some Pentium
>> thing in it
>> that is not compatible with XP. I've been dying to downgrade my
>> PC to XP because whenever I try to download Adobe Flash Player,
>> my computer refuses to
>> shut off. I shut it down, it says shutting down, then the screen
>> goes off but the buttons on my notebook are still on. I have to
>> force shut it down and when I turn the computer on again it says
>> unexpected shutdown detected.
>> I used an I SPY disk on the notebook when my brother came over
>> and when I tried to turn the computer on later that evening,
>> Windows wouldn't even open
>> anymore.
>> I've had to run my recovery disk 5 times in 1 month! I can't
>> even watch anything on YouTube because I don't have Flash Player!
>> Can anyone help? Is it the Notebook that's messed up or Vista?

I Spy (the one I know of) is a childs game.....designed for XP but
works flawless in Vista (My children and I play it all the time).

But yes I do agree his post isn't very clear at all. My suggestion is
the OP take his notebook to someone who knows more about computers
then he does.....with all due respect to the OP sometimes it's easier
and more helpful to suggest that then try and walk a novice through
an issue.

Anyone who has had to try and talk someone through an issue via
email or phone knows exactly what I am talking about.

--
The most reliable time to upgrade to a new Operating System is at the
end of its life cycle.

Dave
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!
"Yangky_5" <Yangky_5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got an Asus Lamborghini notebook and it's got some Pentium thing in
>it
> that is not compatible with XP. I've been dying to downgrade my PC to XP
> because whenever I try to download Adobe Flash Player, my computer refuses
> shut off. I shut it down, it says shutting down, then the screen goes off
> but the buttons on my notebook are still on. I have to force shut it down
> and when I turn the computer on again it says unexpected shutdown
> detected.
> I used an I SPY disk on the notebook when my brother came over and when I
> tried to turn the computer on later that evening, Windows wouldn't even
> open
> anymore.
> I've had to run my recovery disk 5 times in 1 month! I can't even watch
> anything on YouTube because I don't have Flash Player!
> Can anyone help? Is it the Notebook that's messed up or Vista?

Download and save the flash player utility from this web site..

http://www.softwarepatch.com/softwar...r-program.html

Run it, and then re-install Flash Player from the Adobe web site. If you
have problems with Adobe Flash Player in the future, rerun the same
process..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Yangky_5

RE: I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!
I SPY is a kid's game.
I am using Vista now, but I never had a problem with XP even if I knew even
less about computers then.
And for your information, I have downloaded Flash player 3 times after a
system recovery and gotten help from people who have computers as their
living. Even the help line has not heard of this problem before. I got on
this site to see if anyone has had the same problems, not to get sarcastic
comments from people who can't even think of a solution to the problem.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_14157
>
> What is this "I spy" garbage you are running?
> And the Pentium "thing" that is incompatible with XP?
>
> What OS are you running; XP or vista?
>
> Uninstall what you have got of Flash, then reinstall it.
>
> Asus notebooks and Vista do not mess up.
> It's you who is messed up!
>
> "Yangky_5" wrote:
>
> > I just got an Asus Lamborghini notebook and it's got some Pentium thing in it
> > that is not compatible with XP. I've been dying to downgrade my PC to XP
> > because whenever I try to download Adobe Flash Player, my computer refuses to
> > shut off. I shut it down, it says shutting down, then the screen goes off
> > but the buttons on my notebook are still on. I have to force shut it down
> > and when I turn the computer on again it says unexpected shutdown detected.
> > I used an I SPY disk on the notebook when my brother came over and when I
> > tried to turn the computer on later that evening, Windows wouldn't even open
> > anymore.
> > I've had to run my recovery disk 5 times in 1 month! I can't even watch
> > anything on YouTube because I don't have Flash Player!
> > Can anyone help? Is it the Notebook that's messed up or Vista?

Alias

Yangky_5 wrote:
> I SPY is a kid's game.

Gosh, I thought it was a TV show with Bill Cosby and Robert Culp.

Alias
Yangky_5

Re: I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!
Sorry about that, yes English is my first language. I live in the
Philippines though, not in the US so we use some words and idioms
differently. I was pretty frustrated when I typed in the original post.
I've had to use the recovery disk 4 times and I just found out that I can't
downgrade my laptop's OS to XP.

Here are the details:
-- I am using Vista Ultimate as my OS
-- There are certain things I've downloaded (the one I remember most is
Adobe Flash Player, I think the Google toolbar did the same thing also) that
cause the computer to do this: When I shut it down, the screen goes black
but the computer doesn't turn off. I have to press the power button for a
long time to turn it off. When turn the computer on again, I get the
message that an unexpected shut down has occured.
-- I am waiting for our IT Head's reply but from what I remember the
Shanghai Asus helpdesk said I had something that sounded like Santa Rosa
Pentium, which means I can't downgrade my OS to XP.
-- I am not sure if the problem is the laptop or Vista because I called the
US helpdesk while I was there, and our IT guy emailed the Shanghai helpdesk,
and they had never heard of the problem before.
-- If I SPY works perfectly with your Vista, what could be the reason why I
couldn't get my Windows to start after using it? Is there a special I SPY
disk for Vista?

Thanks so much for your help. I hope this post is clearer than my original
one.

"Dave Cox" wrote:

> "Joseph Meehan" <sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Is English your second language or were you just really
> > frustrated when
> > you wrote your message?
> >
> > Frankly it is not very clear. You say you are trying to
> > downgrade to XP
> > and they you say Pentium is not compatible with XP (so why would
> > you want to change to what is not compatible? I don't know I SPY
> > but I am going to guess that it never heard of Vista (if that is
> > what you are now running) and that it screwed up your system.
> > However it is rather difficult to guess what you are really trying
> > to tell us.
> >
> > "Yangky_5" <Yangky_5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I just got an Asus Lamborghini notebook and it's got some Pentium
> >> thing in it
> >> that is not compatible with XP. I've been dying to downgrade my
> >> PC to XP because whenever I try to download Adobe Flash Player,
> >> my computer refuses to
> >> shut off. I shut it down, it says shutting down, then the screen
> >> goes off but the buttons on my notebook are still on. I have to
> >> force shut it down and when I turn the computer on again it says
> >> unexpected shutdown detected.
> >> I used an I SPY disk on the notebook when my brother came over
> >> and when I tried to turn the computer on later that evening,
> >> Windows wouldn't even open
> >> anymore.
> >> I've had to run my recovery disk 5 times in 1 month! I can't
> >> even watch anything on YouTube because I don't have Flash Player!
> >> Can anyone help? Is it the Notebook that's messed up or Vista?

> I Spy (the one I know of) is a childs game.....designed for XP but
> works flawless in Vista (My children and I play it all the time).
>
> But yes I do agree his post isn't very clear at all. My suggestion is
> the OP take his notebook to someone who knows more about computers
> then he does.....with all due respect to the OP sometimes it's easier
> and more helpful to suggest that then try and walk a novice through
> an issue.
>
> Anyone who has had to try and talk someone through an issue via
> email or phone knows exactly what I am talking about.
>
> --
> The most reliable time to upgrade to a new Operating System is at the
> end of its life cycle.
>
> Dave

Yangky_5

Re: I can't download anything, Vista is driving me nuts!
Thanks for your help! I just ran the recovery disk so my Flash Player is
gone. I've been downloading it from the Adobe site though and it still
causes problems. I saw an update in the Microsoft site that sounds like it
enhances the compatibility of Vista. Would that help?