Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Slow Shutdown

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008
Don Bouchard
 

Posts: n/a
Slow Shutdown
Shutdown on my notebook HP Pavilion dv9233cl, running Windows Vista with all
the latest updates,has become extremely slow--taking several minutes (about
5 minutes). I can't associate this prolonged shutdown with any particular,
installed program. Is there a way to establish which program, if any, is
responsible for the delay in shutting down? I have the same programs
installed on my desktop computer and it shuts down normally--just a short
delay while Windows closes everything. Any recommendations to reestablish a
normal amount of time to shutdown?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008
Engel
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Slow Shutdown
Hello Don,

I'm sure you'll get more detailed help from the guys who know a lot more
than me, but I hope this is enough to get you on the right road for now.

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

Good luck
--


"Don Bouchard" wrote:

> Shutdown on my notebook HP Pavilion dv9233cl, running Windows Vista with all
> the latest updates,has become extremely slow--taking several minutes (about
> 5 minutes). I can't associate this prolonged shutdown with any particular,
> installed program. Is there a way to establish which program, if any, is
> responsible for the delay in shutting down? I have the same programs
> installed on my desktop computer and it shuts down normally--just a short
> delay while Windows closes everything. Any recommendations to reestablish a
> normal amount of time to shutdown?
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Slow Shutdown
Don Bouchard wrote:
> Shutdown on my notebook HP Pavilion dv9233cl, running Windows Vista with
> all the latest updates,has become extremely slow--taking several minutes
> (about 5 minutes). I can't associate this prolonged shutdown with any
> particular, installed program. Is there a way to establish which
> program, if any, is responsible for the delay in shutting down? I have
> the same programs installed on my desktop computer and it shuts down
> normally--just a short delay while Windows closes everything. Any
> recommendations to reestablish a normal amount of time to shutdown?


In addition to the excellent advice you got from Engel, here are some
general shutdown troubleshooting steps:

Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from
malware or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton
or McAfee). If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it
and replace with a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast
(free). The Windows Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista,
shutdown issues can also be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make
sure all drivers are updated. See Step B. below for general driver
directions.

A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

B. Drivers - The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it". Normally if everything is working you want to leave
things as they are. The exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually
want to update their video and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit
of performance out of the hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If
you're not one of those people, you don't need to update your drivers if
there are no problems you are trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

C. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no
Norton or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot
troubleshooting to see which program/process is the culprit:

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Standard caveat: If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and
there is absolutely no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea -
take the machine to a computer repair shop. This will not be your local
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get recommendations from
family, friends, colleagues.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008
Don Bouchard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Slow Shutdown
Thank you.

Don

"Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AAF8675F-600F-4D34-B9C1-0FEAA999D57B@microsoft.com...
> Hello Don,
>
> I'm sure you'll get more detailed help from the guys who know a lot more
> than me, but I hope this is enough to get you on the right road for now.
>
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
>
> Good luck
> --
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008
Don Bouchard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Slow Shutdown
Thank you.

Don


"Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:uN2aJtxVIHA.5596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Don Bouchard wrote:
>> Shutdown on my notebook HP Pavilion dv9233cl, running Windows Vista with
>> all the latest updates,has become extremely slow--taking several minutes
>> (about 5 minutes). I can't associate this prolonged shutdown with any
>> particular, installed program. Is there a way to establish which program,
>> if any, is responsible for the delay in shutting down? I have the same
>> programs installed on my desktop computer and it shuts down
>> normally--just a short delay while Windows closes everything. Any
>> recommendations to reestablish a normal amount of time to shutdown?

>
> In addition to the excellent advice you got from Engel, here are some
> general shutdown troubleshooting steps:
>
> Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
> refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from
> malware or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton or
> McAfee). If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it and
> replace with a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast (free).
> The Windows Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista, shutdown
> issues can also be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make sure all
> drivers are updated. See Step B. below for general driver directions.
>
> A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware
> free.
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>
> B. Drivers - The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke, don't
> fix it". Normally if everything is working you want to leave things as
> they are. The exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually want to
> update their video and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit of
> performance out of the hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If you're
> not one of those people, you don't need to update your drivers if there
> are no problems you are trying to solve.
>
> Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:
>
> 1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
> 2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
> 3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
> (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).
>
> Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the
> drivers.
>
> To find out what hardware is in your computer:
>
> 1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
> 2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
> machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
> 3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
> Advisor or System Information for Windows.
>
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
> http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows
>
> C. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no
> Norton or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot
> troubleshooting to see which program/process is the culprit:
>
> How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
>
> D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
> troubleshooter:
>
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
>
> Standard caveat: If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and there
> is absolutely no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the
> machine to a computer repair shop. This will not be your local
> BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get recommendations from family,
> friends, colleagues.
>
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista slow shutdown cbaylor microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 06-26-2008 08:37
Slow Shutdown / Restart Martin Racette microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 18 04-13-2007 21:55
Slow Vista shutdown =?Utf-8?B?Um94IGluIEJpcm1pbmdoYW0=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 04-06-2007 19:39
Suddenly I have a slow shutdown just bob microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 04-03-2007 01:33
Slow Shutdown =?Utf-8?B?RG9uYWxkbw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-17-2007 05:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:05.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120