Help - Mouse pointer freezes screen, locks up system

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Jim

Help - Mouse pointer freezes screen, locks up system
I'm running XP Pro on my main computer and recently installed Visa Ultimate
on a separate HD. Vista works just fine and so far I'm impressed with this
new OS except for the following problem:

Every so often the mouse pointer will just freeze and I cannot do anything
except hold in the power button until the computer shuts down. Although the
problem has happened once or twice while I was moving through normal dialog
boxes, it will almost always happen while playing solitaire. Very
frustrating, you just never know when the system will lock up.

The only program installed on Vista is Microsoft Office 2003. I've upgraded
the graphic driver to one that supports Vista and tried a different mouse -
no help.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jim

Not Me

Re: Help - Mouse pointer freezes screen, locks up system
That really sounds like a driver of some kind.
Sometimes a newer driver is not the answer, sometimes it is.
In some case's, an older driver will work better.
If the machine freezes in XP or Vista, I'd suspect a hardware issue.
Have you checked event viewer to see if it recorded the freeze and what
caused it?

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com
"Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm running XP Pro on my main computer and recently installed Visa
> Ultimate on a separate HD. Vista works just fine and so far I'm impressed
> with this new OS except for the following problem:
>

> Every so often the mouse pointer will just freeze and I cannot do anything
> except hold in the power button until the computer shuts down. Although
> the problem has happened once or twice while I was moving through normal
> dialog boxes, it will almost always happen while playing solitaire. Very
> frustrating, you just never know when the system will lock up.
>

> The only program installed on Vista is Microsoft Office 2003. I've
> upgraded the graphic driver to one that supports Vista and tried a
> different mouse - no help.
>

> Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
>

> Jim

Jim

Re: Help - Mouse pointer freezes screen, locks up system
Thank you for the advice, will look at another possible driver. I'm not very
knowledge about the Event Viewer but I did see this statement:

"ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 14, function
0"

Jim

"Not Me" <cargodZeroOne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That really sounds like a driver of some kind.
> Sometimes a newer driver is not the answer, sometimes it is.
> In some case's, an older driver will work better.
> If the machine freezes in XP or Vista, I'd suspect a hardware issue.
> Have you checked event viewer to see if it recorded the freeze and what
> caused it?
>
> --
> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com
> Change Alpha to Numeric to reply
> "Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'm running XP Pro on my main computer and recently installed Visa
>> Ultimate on a separate HD. Vista works just fine and so far I'm impressed
>> with this new OS except for the following problem:
>>

>> Every so often the mouse pointer will just freeze and I cannot do
>> anything except hold in the power button until the computer shuts down.
>> Although the problem has happened once or twice while I was moving
>> through normal dialog boxes, it will almost always happen while playing
>> solitaire. Very frustrating, you just never know when the system will
>> lock up.
>>

>> The only program installed on Vista is Microsoft Office 2003. I've
>> upgraded the graphic driver to one that supports Vista and tried a
>> different mouse - no help.
>>

>> Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
>>

>> Jim

Bob

Re: Help - Mouse pointer freezes screen, locks up system
That error is probably nothing to do with your problem. What is in the text
below is an excerpt from

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930062/en-us

Error message is logged in the System log every time that you start Windows
Vista: "ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot
<number>"

SYMPTOMS

An error message that resembles the following may be logged in the System
log every time that you start a Windows Vista-based computer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ACPI
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6
Date: Date
Time: Time
User: N/A
Computer: Computer_Name
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot number,
function number. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

CAUSE
This error message may occur on a computer that uses a Peripheral Component
Interconnect (PCI) bridge that supports message-signaled interrupts but does
not support line-based interrupts.

RESOLUTION

This error message may safely be ignored.

> Thank you for the advice, will look at another possible driver. I'm not
> very knowledge about the Event Viewer but I did see this statement:
>
> "ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 14, function
> 0"
>
> Jim
>
> "Not Me" <cargodZeroOne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> That really sounds like a driver of some kind.
>> Sometimes a newer driver is not the answer, sometimes it is.
>> In some case's, an older driver will work better.
>> If the machine freezes in XP or Vista, I'd suspect a hardware issue.
>> Have you checked event viewer to see if it recorded the freeze and what
>> caused it?
>>
>> --
>> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
>> CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com
>> Change Alpha to Numeric to reply
>> "Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm running XP Pro on my main computer and recently installed Visa
>>> Ultimate on a separate HD. Vista works just fine and so far I'm
>>> impressed with this new OS except for the following problem:
>>>

>>> Every so often the mouse pointer will just freeze and I cannot do
>>> anything except hold in the power button until the computer shuts down.
>>> Although the problem has happened once or twice while I was moving
>>> through normal dialog boxes, it will almost always happen while playing
>>> solitaire. Very frustrating, you just never know when the system will
>>> lock up.
>>>

>>> The only program installed on Vista is Microsoft Office 2003. I've
>>> upgraded the graphic driver to one that supports Vista and tried a
>>> different mouse - no help.
>>>

>>> Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
>>>

>>> Jim

bdog

Re: Help - Mouse pointer freezes screen, locks up system
"Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in

> Thank you for the advice, will look at another possible driver. I'm
> not very knowledge about the Event Viewer but I did see this
> statement:
>
> "ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 14,
> function 0"
>
> Jim
>
> "Not Me" <cargodZeroOne@hotmail.com> wrote in message

--
>> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be
>> here! CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com
>> Change Alpha to Numeric to reply
>> "Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm running XP Pro on my main computer and recently installed Visa
>>> Ultimate on a separate HD. Vista works just fine and so far I'm
>>> impressed with this new OS except for the following problem:
>>>

>>> Every so often the mouse pointer will just freeze and I cannot do
>>> anything except hold in the power button until the computer shuts
>>> down. Although the problem has happened once or twice while I was
>>> moving through normal dialog boxes, it will almost always happen
>>> while playing solitaire. Very frustrating, you just never know when
>>> the system will lock up.
>>>

>>> The only program installed on Vista is Microsoft Office 2003. I've
>>> upgraded the graphic driver to one that supports Vista and tried a
>>> different mouse - no help.
>>>

>>> Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
>>>

>>> Jim

I had a similar problem with a n ASUS MB with onboard wireless. I had used
my D-Link wireless card in a PCI slot and disabled the MB wireless. I kept
having the freezing problem until I removed the D-Link card and used the
onboard wireless. If you have a MB with onboard wireless, that may be the
problem. As the person who answered your post siad, the IRQ notice meant
nothing.

bdog
Jim

Re: Help - Mouse pointer freezes screen, locks up system
Thanks to all who replied.

Just ran Vista all morning with no problems - keeping my fingers crossed.

Jim