cd \dvd drive not recognized

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

birminghamj

cd \dvd drive not recognized
Two days ago my cd\dvd drive stopped working and its doesn't appear in my
computer. Can somebody please help me with my problem.
Mac

Re: cd \dvd drive not recognized
Try this...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

Just.some.guy

Re: cd \dvd drive not recognized
Also you can go to device manager...uninstall the cd/dvd...and restart your
computer. When it starts again, windows will recognize the hardware and
install the correct drivers. All of this is assuming your cd/dvd drive is
still working.

"Mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote in message
> Try this...

alexB

Re: cd \dvd drive not recognized
And assuming the drivers are in the right place, not missing and they are
healthy.

"Just.some.guy" <return.email@address.not.valid.com> wrote in message
news56fj.2913$jX4.2370@trnddc07...
> Also you can go to device manager...uninstall the cd/dvd...and restart
> your computer. When it starts again, windows will recognize the hardware
> and install the correct drivers. All of this is assuming your cd/dvd drive
> is still working.
>

> "Mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote in message
>> Try this...

KelleyG

RE: cd \dvd drive not recognized

The link back to Microsoft only supplies information for those who have
upgraded to WINDOWS VISTA from another operating system; in my situation,
VISTA was factory installed in my HP laptop. Autorun works, and CDs and DVDs
inserted with Autorun are recognized, however, I cannot burn CDs or DVDs;
Windows Media Player tells me to "install a CD drive before burning CDs."
When I attempt to open a CD or DVD through [MY]COMPUTER, there is no drive
shown, even when a CD or DVD with Autorun is inserted...

So... what if you have a factory installed version of VISTA (64-bit) and it
is not recognizing the CD/DVD drive?

"birminghamj" wrote:

> Two days ago my cd\dvd drive stopped working and its doesn't appear in my
> computer. Can somebody please help me with my problem.

Jamielew

RE: cd \dvd drive not recognized
Hi How did you fix your problem? I have same symptoms andneed my cd player
back.

"KelleyG" wrote:

> The link back to Microsoft only supplies information for those who have
> upgraded to WINDOWS VISTA from another operating system; in my situation,
> VISTA was factory installed in my HP laptop. Autorun works, and CDs and DVDs
> inserted with Autorun are recognized, however, I cannot burn CDs or DVDs;
> Windows Media Player tells me to "install a CD drive before burning CDs."
> When I attempt to open a CD or DVD through [MY]COMPUTER, there is no drive
> shown, even when a CD or DVD with Autorun is inserted...
>
> So... what if you have a factory installed version of VISTA (64-bit) and it
> is not recognizing the CD/DVD drive?
>
> "birminghamj" wrote:
>
> > Two days ago my cd\dvd drive stopped working and its doesn't appear in my
> > computer. Can somebody please help me with my problem.

Just.some.guy

Re: cd \dvd drive not recognized
Follow my advice from earlier in this thread. it's what worked for me.

"Jamielew" <Jamielew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi How did you fix your problem? I have same symptoms andneed my cd player
> back.
>
> "KelleyG" wrote:
>

>> The link back to Microsoft only supplies information for those who have
>> upgraded to WINDOWS VISTA from another operating system; in my
>> situation,
>> VISTA was factory installed in my HP laptop. Autorun works, and CDs and
>> DVDs
>> inserted with Autorun are recognized, however, I cannot burn CDs or DVDs;
>> Windows Media Player tells me to "install a CD drive before burning CDs."
>> When I attempt to open a CD or DVD through [MY]COMPUTER, there is no
>> drive
>> shown, even when a CD or DVD with Autorun is inserted...
>>
>> So... what if you have a factory installed version of VISTA (64-bit) and
>> it
>> is not recognizing the CD/DVD drive?
>>
>> "birminghamj" wrote:
>>
>> > Two days ago my cd\dvd drive stopped working and its doesn't appear in
>> > my
>> > computer. Can somebody please help me with my problem.

Jamielew

Re: cd \dvd drive not recognized
Thanks - I tried that but when I go to device manager I do NOT see a cd/dvd
device. I am an amature so maybe I just don't know what it would look like or
something? Any suggestions?
Thanks, Jamie

"Just.some.guy" wrote:

> Follow my advice from earlier in this thread. it's what worked for me.
>

> "Jamielew" <Jamielew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi How did you fix your problem? I have same symptoms andneed my cd player
> > back.
> >
> > "KelleyG" wrote:
> >

> >> The link back to Microsoft only supplies information for those who have
> >> upgraded to WINDOWS VISTA from another operating system; in my
> >> situation,
> >> VISTA was factory installed in my HP laptop. Autorun works, and CDs and
> >> DVDs
> >> inserted with Autorun are recognized, however, I cannot burn CDs or DVDs;
> >> Windows Media Player tells me to "install a CD drive before burning CDs."
> >> When I attempt to open a CD or DVD through [MY]COMPUTER, there is no
> >> drive
> >> shown, even when a CD or DVD with Autorun is inserted...
> >>
> >> So... what if you have a factory installed version of VISTA (64-bit) and
> >> it
> >> is not recognizing the CD/DVD drive?

KelleyG

RE: cd \dvd drive not recognized
My laptop is an HP, so I wrote to HP and they sent this solution, which worked:
---------------------------------

1. Click Start and type regedit in the text box.

2. Click "File" in the menu.

3. Click "Export" from the drop-down menu.

4. Click the down arrow beside "Save In" and select Local Disk(C.

5. Type Backup.reg in the File Name field.

6. Click Save.

=== Deleting UpperFilter and LowerFilter Registry Keys ===

1. Click Start and click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit and click OK.

3. Click the plus (+) sign beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4. Click the plus (+) sign beside System.

5. Click the plus (+) sign beside Current Control Set.

6. Click the plus (+) sign beside Control.

7. Click the plus (+) sign beside Class.

8. Locate the {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} key and click it.

9. On the File menu, click Export.

10. In the File name box, type savedkey and click Save. It is better
to save the "savedkey" to the desktop.

11. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters (found in right
window pane) and then click Delete on the Edit menu.

12. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

NOTE: If this data type is missing, continue to the next
method.

13. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters (found in right
window pane) and click Delete on the Edit menu.

14. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

15. Quit the Registry Editor and restart the computer.

=== Reinstalling drivers ===

1. Click start and enter 'Device Manager'.
2. Click the '+' sign adjacent to CD/DVD drive.
3. Right-click the driver listed here and click Uninstall.
4. This will uninstall the drivers.

Now, restart the computer and the drivers will be loaded automatically.

Now check for the issue if the issue still persist then the CD/DVD drive
need to be replaced.

"Jamielew" wrote:

> Hi How did you fix your problem? I have same symptoms andneed my cd player
> back.
>
> "KelleyG" wrote:
>

> > The link back to Microsoft only supplies information for those who have
> > upgraded to WINDOWS VISTA from another operating system; in my situation,
> > VISTA was factory installed in my HP laptop. Autorun works, and CDs and DVDs
> > inserted with Autorun are recognized, however, I cannot burn CDs or DVDs;
> > Windows Media Player tells me to "install a CD drive before burning CDs."
> > When I attempt to open a CD or DVD through [MY]COMPUTER, there is no drive
> > shown, even when a CD or DVD with Autorun is inserted...
> >
> > So... what if you have a factory installed version of VISTA (64-bit) and it
> > is not recognizing the CD/DVD drive?
> >
> > "birminghamj" wrote:
> >
> > > Two days ago my cd\dvd drive stopped working and its doesn't appear in my
> > > computer. Can somebody please help me with my problem.

Jamielew

RE: cd \dvd drive not recognized
Hi KellyG THANKS I already did the regisrty deal and that did NOT fix my
problem. When Igo to device manager I do NOT see the cd/dvd drive anywhere???
My cd drive worked in early January but now seems to have disappeared. In
device manager u actuall see a cd/dvd or is it named somehting else? Thanks
Jamie