Operating System Not Found

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

gavtheunchav

Operating System Not Found
since this morning, as i boot my laptop (Vista) it says that the operating
system cannot be found... any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks
Rick Rogers

Re: Operating System Not Found
Hi,

Leave a disk in the CD/DVD drive?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"gavtheunchav" <gavtheunchav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsEED68D3-ADB4-4099-AE3C-7920854DAE7A@microsoft.com...
> since this morning, as i boot my laptop (Vista) it says that the operating
> system cannot be found... any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

Meinolf Weber

Re: Operating System Not Found
Hello gavtheunchav,

Check that no USB or disk is connected during startup, that can block the
startup. Did you install/change anything before the shutdwon?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> since this morning, as i boot my laptop (Vista) it says that the
> operating system cannot be found... any ideas on how to fix this?
> Thanks

gavtheunchav

Re: Operating System Not Found
Thanks for the idea Rick but that did not work.
it also says:
"PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
Operating System Not found"
Any more ideas? Thanks gav
"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Leave a disk in the CD/DVD drive?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "gavtheunchav" <gavtheunchav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsEED68D3-ADB4-4099-AE3C-7920854DAE7A@microsoft.com...
> > since this morning, as i boot my laptop (Vista) it says that the operating
> > system cannot be found... any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Operating System Not Found
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 11:27:06 -0800, gavtheunchav
<gavtheunchav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> since this morning, as i boot my laptop (Vista) it says that the operating
> system cannot be found... any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

Check to make you didn't leave a bootable CD or diskette inserted.

If not, it would seem that the hard drive has died.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Operating System Not Found
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:42:03 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 11:27:06 -0800, gavtheunchav
> <gavtheunchav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > since this morning, as i boot my laptop (Vista) it says that the operating
> > system cannot be found... any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

> Check to make you didn't leave a bootable CD or diskette inserted.

Sorry, I meant a *non*-bootable CD or diskette, of course.

> If not, it would seem that the hard drive has died.
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Rick Rogers

Re: Operating System Not Found
Hi,

Then either the cabling is loose or the hard drive died.

--

> Thanks for the idea Rick but that did not work.
> it also says:
> "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
> PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
> Operating System Not found"
> Any more ideas? Thanks gav
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Leave a disk in the CD/DVD drive?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "gavtheunchav" <gavtheunchav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsEED68D3-ADB4-4099-AE3C-7920854DAE7A@microsoft.com...
>> > since this morning, as i boot my laptop (Vista) it says that the
>> > operating
>> > system cannot be found... any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

gavtheunchav

Re: Operating System Not Found
Dont think i installed anything before shutting down and i have tried to
start it up with and without a CD. and no luck. Looking like i may need a new
laptop.. Thanks Gav

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:42:03 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 11:27:06 -0800, gavtheunchav
> > <gavtheunchav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > since this morning, as i boot my laptop (Vista) it says that the operating
> > > system cannot be found... any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

> > Check to make you didn't leave a bootable CD or diskette inserted.

> Sorry, I meant a *non*-bootable CD or diskette, of course.
>

> > If not, it would seem that the hard drive has died.
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

gavtheunchav

Re: Operating System Not Found
im pretty rubbish with computers. is it worth getting it repaired if the hard
drive is dead? or getting another one on the guartenee? Thanks

"gavtheunchav" wrote:

> Dont think i installed anything before shutting down and i have tried to
> start it up with and without a CD. and no luck. Looking like i may need a new
> laptop.. Thanks Gav
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:42:03 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> > <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> > > Check to make you didn't leave a bootable CD or diskette inserted.

> > Sorry, I meant a *non*-bootable CD or diskette, of course.
> >

> > > If not, it would seem that the hard drive has died.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Re: Operating System Not Found
If the hard disk is dead, repairing is pretty much a waste of time, you
could try getting the data recovered and backed up then install a new drive.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com