Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

xanadu99

Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver
I have no sound and a yellow exclamation mark by the Microsoft WPD FileSystem
Volume Driver. I tried to update the driver but it says it is up to date. I
uninstalled and let it (or tried to) reinstall at reboot - NOT!!!. Where can
I find this driver? This is the first time I have had problems like this
then they come out of the woodwork. First it was by DVDCDRRW - Now
this....what next????

Please help - I am running Vista Ultimate. Thanks
bebn

Re: Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver

Unfortunately I have the exact same problem. The optical drive problem
was fixed by a call to my manufacturer, but I still have the yellow
exclamation mark next to the WPD File System Volume Driver and no sound
on my computer. Help!

--
bebn
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver
Xanadu99

The WPD driver is usually associated with a Windows Portable Device? This
could be a portable device that has been installed, but is not currently
plugged into the system. You will normally see a 'Code 10' error message for
that device if this is the case.

If you are not getting any audio on the system, I would check with the maker
of the installed sound card for the latest Vista compatible drivers for that
card.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"xanadu99" <xanadu99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have no sound and a yellow exclamation mark by the Microsoft WPD
>FileSystem
> Volume Driver. I tried to update the driver but it says it is up to date.
> uninstalled and let it (or tried to) reinstall at reboot - NOT!!!. Where
> can
> I find this driver? This is the first time I have had problems like this
> then they come out of the woodwork. First it was by DVDCDRRW - Now
> this....what next????
>
> Please help - I am running Vista Ultimate. Thanks

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver
Bebn

Have you checked with the manufacturer about the sound problem? Make sure
you have the latest Vista compatible drivers for the installed sound card.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"bebn" <bebn.32ize0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Unfortunately I have the exact same problem. The optical drive problem
> was fixed by a call to my manufacturer, but I still have the yellow
> exclamation mark next to the WPD File System Volume Driver and no sound
> on my computer. Help!
>

> --
> bebn

xanadu99

Re: Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver
I reformatted and restored and it all got fixed but guess what. It happened
again. I lost sound and I went the the device manager and there is that red
x. Do you know any more than last time about this? Thanks for your help.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Xanadu99
>
> The WPD driver is usually associated with a Windows Portable Device? This
> could be a portable device that has been installed, but is not currently
> plugged into the system. You will normally see a 'Code 10' error message for
> that device if this is the case.
>
> If you are not getting any audio on the system, I would check with the maker
> of the installed sound card for the latest Vista compatible drivers for that
> card.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "xanadu99" <xanadu99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have no sound and a yellow exclamation mark by the Microsoft WPD
> >FileSystem
> > Volume Driver. I tried to update the driver but it says it is up to date.
> > uninstalled and let it (or tried to) reinstall at reboot - NOT!!!. Where
> > can
> > I find this driver? This is the first time I have had problems like this
> > then they come out of the woodwork. First it was by DVDCDRRW - Now
> > this....what next????
> >
> > Please help - I am running Vista Ultimate. Thanks

RonB

Re: Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver

Had the same code 10 and no volume on webcam installation. Vista ready
on box etc.
Downloaded up to date software - same problem. Uninstalled all and then
went to the manufactures website and downloaded their up to date
software direct bypassing the disc version - Cleared the problem -
Running Ultimate 32 bit -
Hope this helps anyone with future problems

--
RonB
yourgoodimbetter

Re: Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver

This worked for me

System: I'm currently running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with a HP
a6130n desktop computer.
Issue: WPD FileSystem Volume driver software. Properties status shows
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
symptoms: install WPD FileSystem Volume driver software after every
login

The issue is the same although i noticed one of the card readers were
missing under computer folder. Instructions are as follows:

1. Right click computer under the start tab and select manage
2. Click on the Device manager tab. You will see the ! in "WPD
FileSystem Volume driver software."
3. Click on Disk drives and disable each one until the WPD FileSystem
disappears.
4. Reinable all the drives then right click the problem drive and
select properties.
5. Click on the volumes tab then select "populate" then note down what
Disk number the populate assigned it.
folder called Disk Management(under the Storage folder). Select Disk
Management.
7. At the bottom is a list of disks. Right click the disk number you
populated for the problem drive and select "Change drive letter and
paths.."
8. Assign the drive letter and go back to the Device Manager.
9. problem gone.

--
yourgoodimbetter
yourgoodimbetter's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/yourgoodimbetter.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bonefx

Re: Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver

Thank you this worked!!

--
Bonefx
Bonefx's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bonefx.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/882321.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

mikenowo

yourgoodimbetter;4099289 Wrote:
> This worked for me
>
> System: I'm currently running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with a HP
> a6130n desktop computer.
> Issue: WPD FileSystem Volume driver software. Properties status shows
> "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
> symptoms: install WPD FileSystem Volume driver software after every
> login
>
> The issue is the same although i noticed one of the card readers were
> missing under computer folder. Instructions are as follows:
>
> 1. Right click computer under the start tab and select manage
> 2. Click on the Device manager tab. You will see the ! in "WPD
> FileSystem Volume driver software."
> 3. Click on Disk drives and disable each one until the WPD FileSystem
> disappears.
> 4. Reinable all the drives then right click the problem drive and
> select properties.
> 5. Click on the volumes tab then select "populate" then note down what
> Disk number the populate assigned it.
> folder called Disk Management(under the Storage folder). Select Disk
> Management.
> 7. At the bottom is a list of disks. Right click the disk number you
> populated for the problem drive and select "Change drive letter and
> paths.."
> 8. Assign the drive letter and go back to the Device Manager.
> 9. problem gone.

I tried this but a letter was already assigned to DISK2 (H the disk
it populated. I tried reassigning it to J: from H: but I still have the
yellow "!", Didn't help. :-/

--
mikenowo
mikenowo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/107204.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/882321.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

NoSpamDan

Bonefx;4099289 Wrote:
> This worked for me
>
> System: I'm currently running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with a HP
> a6130n desktop computer.
> Issue: WPD FileSystem Volume driver software. Properties status shows
> "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
> symptoms: install WPD FileSystem Volume driver software after every
> login
>
> The issue is the same although i noticed one of the card readers were
> missing under computer folder. Instructions are as follows:
>
> 1. Right click computer under the start tab and select manage
> 2. Click on the Device manager tab. You will see the ! in "WPD
> FileSystem Volume driver software."
> 3. Click on Disk drives and disable each one until the WPD FileSystem
> disappears.
> 4. Reinable all the drives then right click the problem drive and
> select properties.
> 5. Click on the volumes tab then select "populate" then note down what
> Disk number the populate assigned it.
> folder called Disk Management(under the Storage folder). Select Disk
> Management.
> 7. At the bottom is a list of disks. Right click the disk number you
> populated for the problem drive and select "Change drive letter and
> paths.."
> 8. Assign the drive letter and go back to the Device Manager.
> 9. problem gone.

Thanks, Bonefx! Your solution worked for me except I would add the
need to highlight My Computer in Device Manager and select "Scan for
Hardware Changes" before my problem was actually gone. As it turns out,
my issue was with a SD Flash card I was using as a Ready Boost drive on
my Dell Inspiron 9400. Assigning a drive letter was what was needed.

Thanks again... Dan

--
NoSpamDan
NoSpamDan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/95699.htm