why wont my windows dvd maker work?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Sam

why wont my windows dvd maker work?
i tried to make a dvd last night on my windows dvd maker and after i had
selected all the options a box appeared saying 'burning dvd please wait' and
underneath it said 'encoding' with a box telling me how far along it was. the
problem was it took 1hr30mins to reach 20% complete. is this normal?if not
can someone please tell me how to fix it?if it is normal can someone please
tell me where i can download a free dvd burner from the net thats reasonably
fast because i lack patience.lol

I know its not my actual computer because it is extremely fast and only a
couple of days old.

Thank you
SAM
Powell

RE: why wont my windows dvd maker work?
Hi Sam:
After messing with all the various burning, editing and playback functions
that come with Vista, I have come to the conclusion that none of them work.
In my case, I use DIVx for burning DVDs. You can purchase the app from their
web site and, depending on how many bells and whistles you want, it comes in
a variety of flavours. For someone like me who just burns whatever downloads
(no editing, no titles, etc.) their $20 system lets me convert most codecs to
Divx (if necessary, and not very often) and it burns a gig of data in less
than 5 minutes. I use a different system for burning data and audio disks.
This one (Roxio) came preinstalled but won't open any video file in the known
universe, so it only gets used for data and audio disks. You can buy systems
that will do it all, but they are loaded with all kinds of extras and none
seem to be totally compatible with Vista. Avoid Nero like the plague. It
co-opts almost every file in your system (photos, documents, etc.) and you
get no support.
Regards
Powell
--
PBL

"Sam" wrote:

> i tried to make a dvd last night on my windows dvd maker and after i had
> selected all the options a box appeared saying 'burning dvd please wait' and
> underneath it said 'encoding' with a box telling me how far along it was. the
> problem was it took 1hr30mins to reach 20% complete. is this normal?if not
> can someone please tell me how to fix it?if it is normal can someone please
> tell me where i can download a free dvd burner from the net thats reasonably
> fast because i lack patience.lol
>
> I know its not my actual computer because it is extremely fast and only a
> couple of days old.
>
> Thank you
> SAM

zachd [MSFT]