User Profile Service failed the logon

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Mr. Home Compter Man

User Profile Service failed the logon
My new Dell computer running Vista Home Premium was working fine for about
two weeks. Now I can't logon and receive the message that "user profile
cannot be loaded." I can't receive any support form Microsoft because I
can't access my ID number for Vista Home Premium. I contacted Dell but so
far haven't received any solution to this problem.

I did find on Dell Support community forum Article ID 316063 dated
12/17/2007 that seemed to address this problem. It gave a step-by-step
listing to perform a System Restore in the Window Recovery Environment. Can
someone confirm whether this listing is the way to resolve this logon
problem? Thanks.
Mick Murphy

RE: User Profile Service failed the logon
It is a NEW computer; it IS a Dell problem to be fixed by them.
Ring them, and find out the way that they want you to do a Recovery.
If you have not made Recovery disk, get a DVD disk from them.

"Mr. Home Compter Man" wrote:

> My new Dell computer running Vista Home Premium was working fine for about
> two weeks. Now I can't logon and receive the message that "user profile
> cannot be loaded." I can't receive any support form Microsoft because I
> can't access my ID number for Vista Home Premium. I contacted Dell but so
> far haven't received any solution to this problem.
>
> I did find on Dell Support community forum Article ID 316063 dated
> 12/17/2007 that seemed to address this problem. It gave a step-by-step
> listing to perform a System Restore in the Window Recovery Environment. Can
> someone confirm whether this listing is the way to resolve this logon
> problem? Thanks.

Mr. Home Compter Man

RE: User Profile Service failed the logon
OK, I will try Dell once again. By the way, what is a recovery disk? Thanks.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> It is a NEW computer; it IS a Dell problem to be fixed by them.
> Ring them, and find out the way that they want you to do a Recovery.
> If you have not made Recovery disk, get a DVD disk from them.
>
> "Mr. Home Compter Man" wrote:
>
> > My new Dell computer running Vista Home Premium was working fine for about
> > two weeks. Now I can't logon and receive the message that "user profile
> > cannot be loaded." I can't receive any support form Microsoft because I
> > can't access my ID number for Vista Home Premium. I contacted Dell but so
> > far haven't received any solution to this problem.
> >
> > I did find on Dell Support community forum Article ID 316063 dated
> > 12/17/2007 that seemed to address this problem. It gave a step-by-step
> > listing to perform a System Restore in the Window Recovery Environment. Can
> > someone confirm whether this listing is the way to resolve this logon
> > problem? Thanks.

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Re: User Profile Service failed the logon
Take a look at this post:
http://cherrybyte.blogspot.com/2007/...-in-vista.html
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
> My new Dell computer running Vista Home Premium was working fine for about
> two weeks. Now I can't logon and receive the message that "user profile
> cannot be loaded." I can't receive any support form Microsoft because I
> can't access my ID number for Vista Home Premium. I contacted Dell but so
> far haven't received any solution to this problem.
>
> I did find on Dell Support community forum Article ID 316063 dated
> 12/17/2007 that seemed to address this problem. It gave a step-by-step
> listing to perform a System Restore in the Window Recovery Environment.
> Can
> someone confirm whether this listing is the way to resolve this logon
> problem? Thanks.

Websitespider

RE: User Profile Service failed the logon

I have the same problem except mine occurred after I decided to add a
'Visitor' account. I have several people coming for Christmas and some of
them are bound to want to use the PC to access the internet and their emails
etc.

I have added a new user called 'Visitor' but when I try to login into the
newly set up account I get the message 'The User Profile Service service
failed this logon', I have checked the registry re
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
User\ProfileList\ and was unable to find the new user listed there.

I certainly don't want to restore my PC to when I purchased it so can anyone
help, PLEASE!!!!
"Mr. Home Compter Man" wrote:

> My new Dell computer running Vista Home Premium was working fine for about
> two weeks. Now I can't logon and receive the message that "user profile
> cannot be loaded." I can't receive any support form Microsoft because I
> can't access my ID number for Vista Home Premium. I contacted Dell but so
> far haven't received any solution to this problem.
>
> I did find on Dell Support community forum Article ID 316063 dated
> 12/17/2007 that seemed to address this problem. It gave a step-by-step
> listing to perform a System Restore in the Window Recovery Environment. Can
> someone confirm whether this listing is the way to resolve this logon
> problem? Thanks.

Mr. Home Compter Man

RE: User Profile Service failed the logon
I was able to resolve my problem by following these instructions provided by
Dell Technical Support:

1. As soon as you turn on the system, tap-tap F8 key on the keyboard.
2. Highlight the option for SAFE MODE and then press enter.
3. Once in SAFE MODE, click on Windows Logo and then type SYSTEM RESTORE in
Start Search.
4. Click on SYSTEM RESTORE, follow the onscreen instructions, uncheck the
option for "Do not show restore older than 5 days" and restore the system
back to a date when it was working fine.

Good luck!!!

"Websitespider" wrote:

> I have the same problem except mine occurred after I decided to add a
> 'Visitor' account. I have several people coming for Christmas and some of
> them are bound to want to use the PC to access the internet and their emails
> etc.
>
> I have added a new user called 'Visitor' but when I try to login into the
> newly set up account I get the message 'The User Profile Service service
> failed this logon', I have checked the registry re
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
> User\ProfileList\ and was unable to find the new user listed there.
>
> I certainly don't want to restore my PC to when I purchased it so can anyone
> help, PLEASE!!!!
> "Mr. Home Compter Man" wrote:
>
> > My new Dell computer running Vista Home Premium was working fine for about
> > two weeks. Now I can't logon and receive the message that "user profile
> > cannot be loaded." I can't receive any support form Microsoft because I
> > can't access my ID number for Vista Home Premium. I contacted Dell but so
> > far haven't received any solution to this problem.
> >
> > I did find on Dell Support community forum Article ID 316063 dated
> > 12/17/2007 that seemed to address this problem. It gave a step-by-step
> > listing to perform a System Restore in the Window Recovery Environment. Can
> > someone confirm whether this listing is the way to resolve this logon
> > problem? Thanks.

Websitespider

RE: User Profile Service failed the logon
Thanks for the suggestion. I have installed quite a lot of software over the
last few months, which I am somewhat loath to have to reinstall if I do a
System Restore and I have no idead when this facility was last working. One
other think I have noticed is that there is no User & Groups section in
Manage My Computer.

I wish Vista had the same repair facility that XP had where you could
reinstall XP over itself. All installed programs and data were intact and you
just had to rerun all the updates to Windows XP.

Anyone any other suggestions?

Regards ................. Peter