BITS doesn't exist on Windows Vista Ultimate

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Rodrigo P. Ghedin

BITS doesn't exist on Windows Vista Ultimate
Hi! I have a big problem with BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service),
and because of this, I can't upgrade my Windows through Windows Update, and
some services doesn't work correctly.

I already ready a lot of tips and guides to solve this problem, but anyone
could help me. The question is: in my services.msc, BITS doesn't exist! I
really couldn't find any post that looks like my problem...

I thing that the way to get it work is "reinstalling" BITS. But how to do
this?

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bits.

Best regards,
Rodrigo P. Ghedin.
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: BITS doesn't exist on Windows Vista Ultimate
Hello Rodrigo
What happens if you open an elevated cmd prompt and run "net start BITS"
What message do you get back?
Open you registry ( start - run regedit.exe)
Browse in regedit to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\BITS.
Right-Click on the key and export to a text file
Post the results back.

Open and elevated cmd prompt;
Run tasklist /svc

Look for an svchost entry that contains the following services:
AeLookupSvc, Appinfo, BITS, Browser, gpsvc,
hkmsvc, IKEEXT, iphlpsvc, LanmanServer,
MMCSS, ProfSvc, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon,
SENS, ShellHWDetection, Themes, Winmgmt,
wuauserv

All these services should be in one svchost instance, is this svchost
displaying in the list after running tasklist /svc (any, all or none of the
services running in that list?)

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<RodrigoPGhedin@discussions.microsoft.com>
|> Subject: BITS doesn't exist on Windows Vista Ultimate
|> Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:39:01 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Hi! I have a big problem with BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer
Service),
|> and because of this, I can't upgrade my Windows through Windows Update,
and
|> some services doesn't work correctly.
|>
|> I already ready a lot of tips and guides to solve this problem, but
anyone
|> could help me. The question is: in my services.msc, BITS doesn't exist!
|> really couldn't find any post that looks like my problem...
|>
|> I thing that the way to get it work is "reinstalling" BITS. But how to
do
|> this?
|>
|> I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bits.
|>
|> Best regards,
|> Rodrigo P. Ghedin.

Rodrigo P. Ghedin

RE: BITS doesn't exist on Windows Vista Ultimate
Hi Darrel!

First of all, thanks for your help. I've become very glad about it.

Before I read your message, I tried to restore system files through an
upgrade install of Vista Ultimate. I've needed to reactivate Windows, but now
system is perfect (including BITS )!

Very thanks again!

Regards,
Rodrigo P. Ghedin.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello Rodrigo
> What happens if you open an elevated cmd prompt and run "net start BITS"
> What message do you get back?
> Open you registry ( start - run regedit.exe)
> Browse in regedit to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\BITS.
> Right-Click on the key and export to a text file
> Post the results back.
>
> Open and elevated cmd prompt;
> Run tasklist /svc
>
> Look for an svchost entry that contains the following services:
> AeLookupSvc, Appinfo, BITS, Browser, gpsvc,
> hkmsvc, IKEEXT, iphlpsvc, LanmanServer,
> MMCSS, ProfSvc, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon,
> SENS, ShellHWDetection, Themes, Winmgmt,
> wuauserv
>
> All these services should be in one svchost instance, is this svchost
> displaying in the list after running tasklist /svc (any, all or none of the
> services running in that list?)
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9kcmlnbyBQLiBHaGVkaW4=?=
> <RodrigoPGhedin@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |> Subject: BITS doesn't exist on Windows Vista Ultimate
> |> Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:39:01 -0800
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
> |>
> |> Hi! I have a big problem with BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service),
> |> and because of this, I can't upgrade my Windows through Windows Update,
> and
> |> some services doesn't work correctly.
> |>
> |> I already ready a lot of tips and guides to solve this problem, but
> anyone
> |> could help me. The question is: in my services.msc, BITS doesn't exist!
> |> really couldn't find any post that looks like my problem...
> |>
> |> I thing that the way to get it work is "reinstalling" BITS. But how to
> do
> |> this?
> |>
> |> I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bits.
> |>
> |> Best regards,
> |> Rodrigo P. Ghedin.

Andry

RE: BITS doesn't exist on Windows Vista Ultimate
Hey, I'm also having a problem with BITS its not listed under services. I ran
the command Run tasklist /svc and i managed to find an svchost entry that
contained the following services you mentioned, however, the BITS service is
not listed. I am also using Vista home premium any help would be great as
Windows update is not working