remove items from windows startup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

sebado

remove items from windows startup
i have too many programs starting up with windows i was told to go to the
start menu then all programs then windows defender then tools then software
explorer thencategory then start up programs, but i dont have a windows
defender that shows up. is there some other way to go about this? its on
windows xp home edition.
brink

Re: remove items from windows startup

sebado;544224 Wrote:
> i have too many programs starting up with windows i was told to go to
> the
> start menu then all programs then windows defender then tools then
> software
> explorer thencategory then start up programs, but i dont have a windows
> defender that shows up. is there some other way to go about this? its
> on
> windows xp home edition.

Hi Sebado,

This tutorial will show you how to disable the Startup programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

If you have Vista, then Method One is the easiest way.

If you do have XP, then Method Two is the same as in XP. Not sure if
the registry locations are the same in Method Three for XP.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Re: remove items from windows startup
Use the Windows + R keys to open the Run command, type in MSCONFIG > click
OK > accept UAC dialog > select the Startup (tab) and uncheck the items you
wish not have startup with the system.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"sebado" <sebado@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have too many programs starting up with windows i was told to go to the
> start menu then all programs then windows defender then tools then
> software
> explorer thencategory then start up programs, but i dont have a windows
> defender that shows up. is there some other way to go about this? its on
> windows xp home edition.

Alias

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] wrote:
> Use the Windows + R keys to open the Run command, type in MSCONFIG > click
> OK > accept UAC dialog > select the Startup (tab) and uncheck the items you
> wish not have startup with the system.

Since when does Windows XP Home have UAC? That said, the OP should check
MSCONFIG to see what programs are starting up with Windows and then go
into the programs' preferences to see if they can be stopped from
booting up there. If not, THEN use MSCONFIG to disable start ups.

Alias

-- Andre Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com My Vista Quickstart
Guide:
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog...3DB!9709.entry
"sebado" <sebado@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have too many programs starting up with windows i was told to go

to the
> > start menu then all programs then windows defender then tools then
> > software
> > explorer thencategory then start up programs, but i dont have a windows
> > defender that shows up. is there some other way to go about this?

its on
> > windows xp home edition.

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Re: remove items from windows startup
Read the post again, he was referring to something that is in Windows XP
Home.
--
"Alias" <alias@aliasmail.com> wrote in message news:fjtr10$qqq$1@aioe.org...
> Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] wrote:
>> Use the Windows + R keys to open the Run command, type in MSCONFIG >
>> click OK > accept UAC dialog > select the Startup (tab) and uncheck the
>> items you wish not have startup with the system.

> Since when does Windows XP Home have UAC? That said, the OP should check
> MSCONFIG to see what programs are starting up with Windows and then go
> into the programs' preferences to see if they can be stopped from booting
> up there. If not, THEN use MSCONFIG to disable start ups.
>
> Alias
>
> -- Andre Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com My Vista Quickstart Guide:
> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog...3DB!9709.entry
> "sebado" <sebado@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >i have too many programs starting up with windows i was told to go

> to the
> > > start menu then all programs then windows defender then tools then
> > > software
> > > explorer thencategory then start up programs, but i dont have a
> > > windows
> > > defender that shows up. is there some other way to go about this?

> its on
> > > windows xp home edition.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: remove items from windows startup
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:37:00 -0800, sebado
<sebado@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> i have too many programs starting up with windows

How do you know that? See below.

> i was told to go to the
> start menu then all programs then windows defender then tools then software
> explorer thencategory then start up programs, but i dont have a windows
> defender that shows up. is there some other way to go about this? its on
> windows xp home edition.

On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show icon"
option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't
work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab,
uncheck the programs you don't want to start automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of
running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people tell
you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs
you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but
others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do
is determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what
the cost in performance is of its running all the time. You can get